Login

russian armor

Does the matchmaking system in this game really work?

19 Jul 2014, 15:35 PM
Donator 11

Hello everyone.

I don't mean to sound like a total bitch, but does the matchmaking system in this game actually work in any way? I've been playing semi-lot since the release of WFA and I systemically get opponents whose rank is AT LEAST 50+ higher than mine.

I feel like I'm unfairly paired against veterans who've played this game for hundreds if not thousands of hours!

Any thoughts?

*edit* forgot to mention, I am of course using and talking about the automatch system.
19 Jul 2014, 15:52 PM

Permanently Banned
Are you talking about rank or level? Because yes the automatch system works: But it does not take levels into account, since they mean nothing but playtime. It will measure what skill level you are on and put you on a certain rank, people with a similar skill level will be matched against you, and you will drop a few ranks when you loose and gain a higher rank if you win
19 Jul 2014, 16:03 PM
Donator 11

I did mean levels, yes.

So what you're saying there is an independent system called "rank" and this is not visible. And people are matched up using this rank system.

But surely the amount of hours you've put into the game must make you a better player.

Are those people with level 150+ just shit because they are playing against me, or am I just "so good"?
19 Jul 2014, 16:14 PM

Level is just some factor that shows playtime. Every game gives some experience and that gains levels. Doesn't mean much.

Ranks can be seen in the ladders - http://www.coh2.org/ladders
Basically from results of automatch games your ELO gets calculated which gives you a rank.

The first 10 games of a new mode (Be that 1v1 / 2v2 / 3v3 / 4v4 random or games with a new arranged team) will always put you against random opponents to estimate your ELO faster.
19 Jul 2014, 16:26 PM

You can get to a high level, dunno maybe 60, just by playing campaign.

Plus you level up really slow in the 90s and really fast below say 50. So 90 to 150 is not a huge gap in playtime.
19 Jul 2014, 16:36 PM
Donator 11

Do you mean to say once you reach level 100, and get prestige rank 1. The game treats you as if you're level 1 and start to get level again really fast?
19 Jul 2014, 16:42 PM
Benefactor 115

No, everyone is ranked by a hidden Elo value. Although the people you are playing might be 50 ranks higher than you your Elo values are probably really close.

The levelling system has no bearing on who you meet in auto match.
19 Jul 2014, 16:46 PM
Donator 11

No, everyone is ranked by a hidden Elo value. Although the people you are playing might be 50 ranks higher than you your Elo values are probably really close.

The levelling system has no bearing on who you meet in auto match.

I am just wondering how that can be. I'm not that great a player, I lose pretty much half the time if not more. And I feel I get outplayed pretty badly sometimes, yet you'd have me believe my opponent is of equal skill/elo?
19 Jul 2014, 16:54 PM

Do you mean to say once you reach level 100, and get prestige rank 1. The game treats you as if you're level 1 and start to get level again really fast?

No it's not like that. The thing is it takes more and more ingame XP to level up the higher level you get. So in the beginning you can get 1-2 levels for a long game, but to get from e.g. level 95 to 96 it takes a few games. When you get to prestige 1 you go back to level 1 and level up fast again.

These levels are rather meaningless, they used to allow you to unlock bulletins and skins but now it's all war spoils dependent. In DoW2 they had these levels but then your units would look much cooler as you levelled up. It's kind of a remnant of how Relic games have developed, nothing else.

The Elo ranking isn't dependent on ingame XP.

You could be playing somebody with more ingame XP than you for many reasons. Maybe they are worse than their level would suggest because they are playing off faction (each faction has a separate Elo I believe), or in an unfamiliar gamemode, or maybe they just don't have much experience or natural aptitude for RTS games. On the other side of that, you may be better than your level. I would guess you should be around 50% winrates, at least in 1v1s, it works OK. Even I can find people to beat :D
Vaz
19 Jul 2014, 17:00 PM

If you think it's bad in 1v1, if you ever end up liking team play and happen to play outside of a party, the automatcher will really screw you over. It likes to put new players with good players against a team of mid to mid-high ranked players for these really unfair games.
19 Jul 2014, 17:04 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I am just wondering how that can be. I'm not that great a player, I lose pretty much half the time if not more. And I feel I get outplayed pretty badly sometimes, yet you'd have me believe my opponent is of equal skill/elo?

You are supposed to be around 45-50% win rate if you are in the right ELO.,as an average typical player(according to relic)

Anything much higher is usually what the Pr0s have,anything much lower is what bad players have

If we could pull up your playercard it would make things alot easier to explain
19 Jul 2014, 17:16 PM
Patrion 27

I don't think he understands what the player card is still.

click on your steam profile
right click and "copy page url"
click on "ladders" at the top of coh2.org
click on player search
paste your url in to the player search
delete everything but your player # which is at the end of the url
19 Jul 2014, 17:18 PM
19 Jul 2014, 17:22 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Yes thats it.. You havent been ranked for alot of the differnt modes and factions so youll get mixed results with matchmaking until you play 10 games in each mode,with each faction.
19 Jul 2014, 17:24 PM

Yeah, thats from the offical site, but most of the time we refer to the one on this site^^ http://www.coh2.org/ladders/playercard/steamid/76561197969904819 (yours). Should be pretty identical.

If you want to see in realtime, your rank and the rank of the enemy you are playing agaisnt I suggest CELO. http://www.coh2.org/topic/18454/celo--company-of-elo
19 Jul 2014, 17:30 PM
Donator 11

So..

Once I complete my 10 games with a faction I start to get opponents who more accurately reflect my own skill?

And now that I haven't completed my 10 games I get random opponents who could have very high elo?
19 Jul 2014, 17:36 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

So..

Once I complete my 10 games with a faction I start to get opponents who more accurately reflect my own skill?

And now that I haven't completed my 10 games I get random opponents who could have very high elo?

You nailed it right on the head.

They can have really LOW elo too.

Sometimes however it may take longer than 10 if you lose to someone you probably shouldve beat,or beat someone you probably SHOULDNT have beat,which happens obviously in anything competitive.
You'll most likely have PERFECT matchmaking after 20-30 games,
19 Jul 2014, 17:55 PM
Donator 11

Aight..Aight.. Thanks for your help and clearing this up for me, appreciated ^^
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak