Login

russian armor

Any luck with German Halftrack?

7 Jul 2014, 17:04 PM

The OKW faction seems a little weak against enemy infantry blobs. The Kubelwagen dies really easy and tends to take some damage before suppression and fails at anything other than infantry spam. The MG34 is a doctrinal unit. The Panzer II comes as at the same time as a Soviet T34. The only real option the OKW has to counter a blob is a blob of their own which isn't such a great idea considering the heavy splash damage of allied armor. So what about the flak halftrack?

I think the flak halftrack is an inferior version of the American halftrack. The American halftrack is more powerful, the same amount of health, it's faster, it suppresses better, it can fire on the move, and it doesn't have a set up and set down time as the German one.

I don't see the point of making a German halftrack is any tank or AT gun will just outright kill it because it takes such a long time to get away and it's really weak. The German halftrack also have a tendency to fire its bullets at every hill wall or fence instead of suppression any unit.

I only used the flak halfrack once and failed misearbly, but when I see the enemy use it, I always seem to destroy it so easily. However, when I use the American halftrack I get multiple kills, usually have it survive the entire game, and even push back the enemy since it's even easier to risk it as it can get away faster. The halftrack has always been my fear whenever I play against Americans. The American halftrack has so many more advantages and it can escape a lot easier so it has more survivability.
7 Jul 2014, 17:09 PM

Don't even bother with the flak haltrack it is far to vulnerable to at guns,bazookas, and at nades to be seriously useful. If they took out the stupid setup time then I could see it as a viable unit.
7 Jul 2014, 17:29 PM

It's a support unit not an assault unit. It's not a tank, its a super heavy machine gun. Use it accordingly. Axis only players way too used to 1 unit, 0 effort, attack move. Try Combined arms.
7 Jul 2014, 17:40 PM

I have been using CieZ Puma first strategy, but adapted to my fitting a little bit more & been experimenting with it. I always go with a Puma, then a 251/17 Flak Half-track. Together with Püppchen & Shreks, its been working just fine. It is truly a deadly composition.
7 Jul 2014, 17:45 PM

It's a support unit not an assault unit. It's not a tank, its a super heavy machine gun. Use it accordingly. Axis only players way too used to 1 unit, 0 effort, attack move. Try Combined arms.

Sure, the German needs to use it as combined arms but it fails miserably at that.

Did you see the comparisons I made with the American halftrack? Does this mean you are ok with the American halftrack being an "1 unit, 0 effort" unit? The American Halftrack is totally a game changer that requires little to no effort to use. The American halftrack is both an assault unit and a defending unit, as it can also fire on the move.

What do you think about Soviet scout cars, which is another "1 unit, 0 effort" type of unit, but when it comes to the Germans you think that's unfair. Double standards.
7 Jul 2014, 17:51 PM

I have been using CieZ Puma first strategy, but adapted to my fitting a little bit more & been experimenting with it. I always go with a Puma, then a 251/17 Flak Half-track. Together with Püppchen & Shreks, its been working just fine. It is truly a deadly composition.

It's a good idea on paper, but sounds like it's difficult to make it pay off. The long set up time of the flakhalftrack makes it so that it's easy for everything to go wrong. If you lose either vehicle it's difficult to recover from since fuel is most valuable for the okw faction compared to other units.
7 Jul 2014, 17:54 PM

Permanently Banned
I never use the MG half (because the armor), but the rockets halftracks is very cool.
7 Jul 2014, 18:02 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

what's a Püppchen :D
7 Jul 2014, 18:07 PM

what's a Püppchen :D

The most unreliable anti tank gun in Company of Heroes that happens to be in the faction that really needs a good anti tank gun.
7 Jul 2014, 18:07 PM

So this might be a bit of big reply as it covers both uses vs US and soviets

Against US it comes early enough to push back rifles (assuming you control your side of the map), get your AT gun after halftrack and maybe go as far as putting munitions transfer after you start building halftrack, to get a faster shrek on your volks.
keep these units together at all times and facing us halftrack usually means no bazookas for awhile as your opponent probably rushed for it keep it at bay until puma is out.
If your opponent is not careful his halftrack will die really fast even without puma.
facing bazookas means delayed halftrack, keep a clear line of sight avoid firing at ground elevations and cover or halftrack will be useless.

When facing soviets its all about their openings, vs m3 or conscripts its useful vs maxims don't bother as at gun is available and will kill it in 2 shots and the time it takes to set down and run away second shot is fired, I prefer to go for early support gun followed by the panzer 2 circle the AT gun and punish the only maxim oppening.

Now to the exception of m3 were early munitions go for flamethrowers always have at least 2 sturmpios with mine detectors and sturmpios will annihilate any suicidal conscripts that try to AT nade your halftrack, your army must always be together volks close by in a house if possible an AT gun is always nice even if there are no tanks it can destroy opponents cover and lately it seems more deadly vs infantry.

Dont forget to salvage everything in your path maxims, at guns, and carcasses.

Those are my opinions that I have gathered trough my own experience
7 Jul 2014, 18:31 PM

The most unreliable anti tank gun in Company of Heroes that happens to be in the faction that really needs a good anti tank gun.

Want a good AT? Do what soviets always did, steal it from your opponent :banana:
Its even in the army essence statement.
m00
7 Jul 2014, 19:02 PM
Donator 11

It's so weird that people hate on the rakentenwerfer or however you spell it. The damn thing can garrison buildings/retreat and it only costs 240 manpower. Once the thing starts gaining vet it's just a beast. In alpha it was completely garbage but it got a huge accuracy buff since then, for 240 manpower it will always get a huge % efficiency.
7 Jul 2014, 19:46 PM

The OKW AT Gun is fine, just put it in the damn house or use 2 of them together.

About the Flak halftrack: I never use it. I rather rush puma and then go tier 4 to get Ober squads.

Unless they remove the set up thing then this vehicles is just asking AT gun to kill it and later in game they ... don't work really that well consider that enemy will have tanks.

in the other hands, rushing for a Puma will keep you safe from any vehicles and when Ober come out you don't have to worry about anything !

But so yeah, Flak halftrack is a no no for me. Same thing for Kuberwagen.

if I'm gonna spend my manpower on something then it's better to be useful for the whole game.
7 Jul 2014, 22:45 PM

Never using the Flak Halftrack because first it is too vulnerable with its setup and desetup time and second it always shoots at the terrain instead of on the enemy soldiers, just like the Flak Emplacement that you get with the Fallschirmjäger commander. That and the general lack of fuel as OKW make it very unattractive to me.

If at all I would consider those Flak things for anti air.
7 Jul 2014, 22:50 PM

No point getting a flak truck. If you don't have enough munition for smoke you won't be able to even get away from danger.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 56
unknown 6
Australia 4

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak