Login

russian armor

Random Commander Selection Option.

• This thread is locked
21 Jun 2014, 15:30 PM

I think we can all agree that the game would be improved by a random army option but what about being able to fill one of the three commander slots with a "?" icon and have a commander selected for you at random at the match loading screen.

In my ideal scenario you'd be able to fill up to all three slots with the "?" icon. Leaving anywhere from one to all three of your commander choices up to chance.

I think this would allow for the occasional use of lesser selected commanders which would add increased variety to the game.

Your thoughts?
21 Jun 2014, 15:38 PM

Bad idea as it basically butchers the concept of tactical choice to either enhance your strat or adapt and respond to the on field situation.

I would never use something like this and neither would anyone who likes to have control over his actions in RTS game.
21 Jun 2014, 16:28 PM

I'd agree that most competitive players that are high on the ladder may not use the feature (perhaps some would, for the the extra challenge).

I don't see how selecting 1 anti-infantry commander, 1 anti-armor commander, and 1 random commander "butchers" the concept of tactical choice. I think it provides for an extra challenge and and takes advantage of good commanders that don't have the same "awesomeness" appeal as bring a Tiger or ISU onto the field.
21 Jun 2014, 18:15 PM

I often just close my eyes and spam click commanders in the army-builder and then I play a few games with what comes out of that. It forces you to improvise more to deal with certain situations which can lead to some very interesting and unorthodox games.
22 Jun 2014, 07:32 AM
Honorary Member Badge

It might be balanced and worth it for a resource bonus, not necessarily a big one.

But if you want to play different commanders, there isn't anything stopping from using the ones you are used to
22 Jun 2014, 08:31 AM

The one thing I couldn't figure out though was how a Random armies would work with the commanders and bulletins.

We could just have 1 default loadout when playing random for all armies, I think that would be very easy to implement.
22 Jun 2014, 10:27 AM

Random armies will add value, but commanders won't. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just that it's a waste of time to implement. There are better things to work on for the devs.
22 Jun 2014, 10:32 AM

Lol I agree with this idea, may add a little fun :D
22 Jun 2014, 10:33 AM

Brilliant idea. +1.
22 Jun 2014, 19:18 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I would use it if it choose from any commander, not the ones i´ve available.

Eventhough i think, for effort needed, i prefer a random army first.
22 Jun 2014, 20:33 PM

Little nifty features like these are what add diversity to a game.

+1
22 Jun 2014, 21:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jun 2014, 20:33 PMKhan
Little nifty features like these are what add diversity to a game.

+1

Exactly and diversity attracts a broader audience, Makes the game more interesting, and allows for more fun factor and ways to experience the game it would be nothing but good. But again Like I said stuff like this needs to be an option for those who want it and those who don't, can ignore it everybody wins.

I hate to sound like a broken record but again a prime example for me is the Removal of half the maps for the game, most of which I find highly enjoyable and allow for much more diversity, ways to play the game, and much more strategic possibilities. The so called "competitive" maps all promote the exact same play style for the most part and Limits the game to only certain ways to play to be effective. Imo this severely limits the way you can play the game therefore severely limiting which strategies are effective and useful and therefore the games depth becomes watered down and less interesting. Those of you that watched the Rogers and Pounders shoutcasts of the Cevo tournament might recall them complaining about the same build orders over and over again for hours.

Why didn't they leave the maps in and provide more vetoes for those that don't like strategy or like I said earlier provide a different ladder/mode and everyone can be happy.
22 Jun 2014, 22:59 PM

You guys are gonna have a hard time convincing the players who desperately cling to their p2w commanders to do this unfortunately. All they care about is their one or two overpowered doctrines that help them win.

I agree some randomizing would be a healthy option for coh2. A true random 2v2 to 4v4 match maker would be nice instead of team stackers seal clubbing the current systems new players.

Random doctrine option would also be cool as it gets real boring playing against the same p2w doctrines all he time. There are a lot of cool doctrines people just do not use simply because p2w gives such an advantage. It is really a shame relic went down this path as it really hurt the franchise in the long term. I miss the days when people would play to experience and try new things. Now it's all about climbing a ladder that in the end really means nothing. Especially when you need p2w to stay up on he ladder.

A random doctrine could work, just have his mode use no bulletins. Would create some new and healthy balance discussions too.
23 Jun 2014, 14:31 PM

No reason not to, and the proposed "?" icon for one or more Commander choices on the match screen is as much an unknown for the player himself as the opponent.

Its not like, as an opponent, you can change your Commanders anyways at that point to counter his spread. Your are just as locked into that unknown, as your opponent is.

I like this suggestion very much, especially as it trivialises Commander choice a little, which has had some degree of heritage as being just a little too significant in regards tl DLC Commanders.

Its fun, and doesnt detract from the game at all, imo.

Think how awesome a "???" Tournament would be! :D
23 Jun 2014, 18:49 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

NKVD = OH FUCK
3 May 2019, 01:41 AM

I...I still think this would have been a really good feature.
3 May 2019, 02:45 AM

I'd like a commander design feature.

give a player x amount Cp to build their own commanders. Each commander ability would be tied to a commander slot, I.e first two slots are for 0-4 cp abilities, the next two you have to have 5-10 and the last for abilities costing 11plus cp.

This would be to stop people stacking low cp abilities to get an overwhelming early game advantage, but would still allow people enough variation to create new commanders
3 May 2019, 09:41 AM

I'd like a commander design feature.

give a player x amount Cp to build their own commanders. Each commander ability would be tied to a commander slot, I.e first two slots are for 0-4 cp abilities, the next two you have to have 5-10 and the last for abilities costing 11plus cp.

This would be to stop people stacking low cp abilities to get an overwhelming early game advantage, but would still allow people enough variation to create new commanders

There is a mod for it, it can only be played in 1v1 and both players take turns banning the other from something or picking something for themselves. It's on the front page of coh2.org
3 May 2019, 16:33 PM

There is a mod for it, it can only be played in 1v1 and both players take turns banning the other from something or picking something for themselves. It's on the front page of coh2.org

Oh sweet! Thanks! :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Peru 17
unknown 15
unknown 8
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L