Login

russian armor

DLC request - Low profile task/information bar

Would you like to see a DLC user interfaces/task bar?
Option Distribution Votes
63%
37%
Would this be something you'd consider purchasing (depending on price/content)
Option Distribution Votes
34%
66%
Total votes: 76
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
3 Jun 2014, 19:51 PM
Benefactor 115

I find the default display takes up too much of my screen for my liking. I find the default display has significant space committed to fluff (unit explanations/portraits, large buttons when I use hot keys). If I had the option of a smaller display, that still conveyed critical battle/tactical information I would happily pay for it.

Additionally, while it is not my personal preference, I know several players that would prefer the VCoH HUD.

Your thoughts?
4 Jun 2014, 01:17 AM
Donator 33

Actually, you can already get this for free*

*not including the cost of a new high resolution monitor
4 Jun 2014, 01:30 AM
Benefactor 115

This shouldn't be paid content. End of story. End of thread.
4 Jun 2014, 01:33 AM

This. Why would it be DLC? If it were DLC it should come with a bottle of lube so my ass doesn't feel sore after buying it
4 Jun 2014, 05:07 AM
Benefactor 115

This. Why would it be DLC? If it were DLC it should come with a bottle of lube so my ass doesn't feel sore after buying it

Why shouldn't it be DLC? I, nor you, are entitled to it. In my eyes this is similar to skins or faceplates; It doesn't effect balance or divide the community and certainly isn't pay to win. This is a preference that is outside of the anything promised or implied by the service provider when I purchased the game. If I don't have to pay for it then great! However, content that has the potential to generate income gets development resources.

If you're not ok paying for an extra like this then that's your choice.
4 Jun 2014, 05:22 AM

So UI usability should be DLC and not a free update then.

Christ are people retarded when it comes to defending even the most ridiculous forms of DLC.
4 Jun 2014, 06:30 AM

Yeah let's make changable hotkeys a DLC too.
4 Jun 2014, 07:04 AM
Benefactor 115

So UI usability should be DLC and not a free update then.

Christ are people retarded when it comes to defending even the most ridiculous forms of DLC.

Why is this ridiculous? Are you saying the default one is unusable? If something were defective that's a different discussion. I don't think it fair to jump to the extreme end of the discussion and suggest that it is. I'm ok with the current UI but I would prefer something different.

The thing with preferences, mine maybe different than yours. Who's to say that the UI that I have in my head is more usable than what we currently have. If fact for some it likely isn't.

For the record, I wasn't promoting or defending anything.
4 Jun 2014, 07:07 AM

You shouldnt pay for a necessity. If such a thing happens, people will mod and hack their own. It does not add stuff to the game, it should not be paid for.
4 Jun 2014, 08:02 AM

You shouldnt pay for a necessity. If such a thing happens, people will mod and hack their own. It does not add stuff to the game, it should not be paid for.

That. I won't pay for absolute standards at all.
But go on, give Relic some ideas.
Maybe we could limit the clicks in a game to 1.000.
Every 1.000 more cost 1$.
4 Jun 2014, 10:16 AM

+ 999934394334548758374878452797589359823498659342593498548935627983649857637948526347569483256345639658392468576348562469465236446534265783465862345786572348659732465789346589734687345678365786347856
4 Jun 2014, 20:02 PM
Benefactor 115

When did the UN add "upgraded video game user interface" to the list of fundamental human needs? Last time I checked I had to pay for the actual necessities too.

First world problems I guess...
4 Jun 2014, 20:06 PM
Benefactor 115

I am interested in hearing the reasoning behind your thoughts. Would you mind expanding on your position?
4 Jun 2014, 20:37 PM
Patrion 15

i would pay 10 euros for a coh1 interface version without hesitation.
4 Jun 2014, 21:52 PM
Donator 33

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2014, 20:06 PMDucati

I am interested in hearing the reasoning behind your thoughts. Would you mind expanding on your position?

Well, I can present a reason, dunno if it is what IpKai is thinking.

Everyone cried for this during beta, giving exhaustive reasons and presentations on why the CoH2 UI was rubbish.

If you make it a DLC, you are in effect paying Relic extra for making a shitty solution in the first place and grubbing in money later. It's simply too dirty.
6 Jun 2014, 17:19 PM
Benefactor 115

Well, I can present a reason, dunno if it is what IpKai is thinking.

Everyone cried for this during beta, giving exhaustive reasons and presentations on why the CoH2 UI was rubbish.

If you make it a DLC, you are in effect paying Relic extra for making a shitty solution in the first place and grubbing in money later. It's simply too dirty.

Thanks for the reply.

I've gone back and reviewed most of the threads (on COH2.org) pertaining to the user interface. The majority of the comments were "it's sucks make it better". Lots of comparisons to other RTS's. Typically there was very little specifics or explanation of the above. A summery of specific UI (Task bar) complains/suggestions were:

Items addressed:

Commander location - Changed as per community request.(was vertical on the right)
Color scheme - Changed as per community request. (was green is now blue)
XP display - option added to display as it was in CoH as per community request
Different symbols on the mini map for different units - Partially address

Items not addressed:

Font issue too much Italic - I don't think this was changed. Can anyone remember if this has changed over time?
Unit display shields - Not addressed - Some wanted the VCoh shields some preferred the new style.
The amount of wasted space in "the bridge" where unit descriptions are displayed. I could only find a few comments pertaining to this.
Resource layout - Not addressed - The community wanted resources stacked vertically not horizontally. The community heavily favored this.

Of the items not address, I feel the majority are design choices. They're not right or wrong and are up to the discretion of the designers. However, I am puzzled as to why the last point, the vertical resource layout, was not changed. I can not remember a single supportive comment towards the horizontal layout. While it is the designers choice, I feel it is foolish to ignore the wishes of the majority of your customers.

To summarize:

I got the impression that most players providing feedback were huge fans of CoH and wanted it to have the very best UI of everything. It seems many are disappointed that the UI is not "better/different".
Some changes were made based on community feedback
Some changes suggested by the community were not implemented.
I could not find anything to suggest that Relic made promises with respect to upgrading or changing the UI. In fact the only hearsay I found was they weren't planning any changes and we needed to adapt. (See Tommy's thread on 4 things to make CoH2 better. Note this was just after release and a few changes, like the mini map icon thing, have happened contrary to the hearsay.)

If anyone has any additional information please post me some links.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★