Login

russian armor

How Does One Counter Maxim Spam?

11 May 2014, 20:16 PM
Donator 11

Last night I was playing 2v2 randoms when I versed RtN Milk Please! and Jesulin. I knew it was going to be a tough match, but I wasn't expecting the cheapest of all strategies, the classic Maxim HMG spam followed by AT gun spam.

Yes I lost, but I didn't feel too bad at the end considering I was versing an AT team loaded with two top players, with a random on my team. On top of that Milk Please wins with a pretty effortless strategy although it seems like I had better micro than he did.

Can you guys please criticize my performance? What I failed to do, what I should've done, big mistakes. Please keep it nice :)

I made a mortar, but like that did anything... Mortars need to be more accurate for aggressive tactics like these... maybe Sniper? I made a MG42 but that didn't supress the Maxims did it? I even managed to take one of his maxims but his friend Jesulin comes out of nowhere and disrupts me :(

Just when I thought I got a hold of the fuel for a tad bit...

Thanks guys,

North
11 May 2014, 20:27 PM
Donator 11

Hello xXNorthWeaponXx :P

As you can see is very difficult in "open maps" because you cant flank with grenadiers. I usually use MHT versus this strategy.

RtN Milk Please! is probably one of the best players who plays with "support machines" so is hard to counter.

Crossing is not a good example, I dont like to play as Germans in that map and I think you should veto, germans havent got chances.
11 May 2014, 20:46 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post11 May 2014, 20:27 PMjesulin
Hello xXNorthWeaponXx :P

As you can see is very difficult in "open maps" because you cant flank with grenadiers. I usually use MHT versus this strategy.

RtN Milk Please! is probably one of the best players who plays with "support machines" so is hard to counter.

Crossing is not a good example, I dont like to play as Germans in that map and I think you should veto, germans havent got chances.

Thanks for the advice bro.

Would you use Snipers against RtN Milk Please? Maxim has long range too which makes it pretty risky.

Why veto though? I do realize it's pretty hard to flank on open ground, but yet again you want to tackle challenging maps and try using it against the Soviets if you're German. Running away from it won't help :P

I should try using Mortar Halftrack then.
11 May 2014, 20:49 PM

Is this purely from a 2v2 perspective?

I quite like this mas as the Germans as the long range DPS of grenadiers really shines when there are not many ways to sneak in up close without getting shot at.
11 May 2014, 22:49 PM

This is the reason why I always ban this map as german. 120mm/maxim/zis are kings in early.
11 May 2014, 23:25 PM

This map is universally banned by both factions. As for your maxim spam problem remember the mortar, It is fantastic at killing off maxim. Another thing you should keep in mind when playing this game is tech choice as Soviets. If maxim spam starts early, you can know for sure there will not be snipers, at least for a bit. The German sniper is a great choice because it is rather hard to counter without T1. You will pick off many crew members before even a mortar is there to soft counter you.
12 May 2014, 00:03 AM

But usually getting a mht out while placing all your forces in front of it does the trick.
12 May 2014, 03:17 AM

This map is worse than Langre, at least better than the bullshit snow Langre.
12 May 2014, 06:06 AM

I will echo the Sniper suggestion. Particularly for Crossing the Woods.

The water naturally harms the ability for foes to make offensive actions at the sniper and it can pick Maxims apart with impunity.

There was once a golden rule in CoH1: If you saw Weapons Support Center (American Tier 2), you produce a sniper ASAP. Much the same logic can be applied to dealing with Soviet Tier 2.

Mortar Halftrack is quite good but you may be the Elefant player for your side.
12 May 2014, 06:20 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

For MHT in a 2v2, do you prefer Spearhead or Festung Support?
12 May 2014, 07:28 AM

For really entrenched Soviets, festung support seems custom designed, MHT, smoke bombs for large frontal assaults on maxims (only 2 cp too!) that's a great tool.

Also what about a fast half track with two grens in it and just drive past the maxims, could come before too many ZiS on field and if you lose it, it's cheap so ok. Follow up with the rest of your squads frontally to split their fire. (Also less AT nades about).

After initial half track raids, resort to smoke pots.

Also if you get a mortar, don't forget to use its smoke to help flank, something we could all do more often.
12 May 2014, 08:08 AM

Last night I was playing 2v2 randoms when I versed RtN Milk Please! and Jesulin. I knew it was going to be a tough match, but I wasn't expecting the cheapest of all strategies, the classic Maxim HMG spam followed by AT gun spam.

Yes I lost, but I didn't feel too bad at the end considering I was versing an AT team loaded with two top players, with a random on my team. On top of that Milk Please wins with a pretty effortless strategy although it seems like I had better micro than he did.

Can you guys please criticize my performance? What I failed to do, what I should've done, big mistakes. Please keep it nice :)

I made a mortar, but like that did anything... Mortars need to be more accurate for aggressive tactics like these... maybe Sniper? I made a MG42 but that didn't supress the Maxims did it? I even managed to take one of his maxims but his friend Jesulin comes out of nowhere and disrupts me :(

Just when I thought I got a hold of the fuel for a tad bit...

Thanks guys,

North

The first mistake is that you used g43 on this map. this is long range territory so grens should be equipped with lmg's /

Snipers rule supreme on this map.

Maxims, while powerful early game , are not useful late game when armor starts to roll in. play defensively . you tried to take both fuel points while you should focus on taking one fuel point and 2 victory points.

generally poor use of tactical manoeuvre(you could have easily used this to move grens to the north side of the north side of the trees then attack him from the side). and little to no use of riflenades. While mg42's are useful i always suggest to get 4 grens first and see what the soviets are doing as the mg42 performs poorly against this strat.
12 May 2014, 08:41 AM
Benefactor 115

The hard bit is surviving the initial push which you did very well, then instead of trying to cross the river you should have kept the position and waited for 222s
12 May 2014, 11:42 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post12 May 2014, 08:08 AMJaigen

The first mistake is that you used g43 on this map. this is long range territory so grens should be equipped with lmg's /

Snipers rule supreme on this map.

Maxims, while powerful early game , are not useful late game when armor starts to roll in. play defensively . you tried to take both fuel points while you should focus on taking one fuel point and 2 victory points.

generally poor use of tactical manoeuvre(you could have easily used this to move grens to the north side of the north side of the trees then attack him from the side). and little to no use of riflenades. While mg42's are useful i always suggest to get 4 grens first and see what the soviets are doing as the mg42 performs poorly against this strat.

4 grens are too much on a small map against maxims. mg42 is crucial against holding gfround on this map against every tactic, even m3 since it has decent penetration now. just always keep it in cover and let the maxim run in to you. I prefer getting a mortar and sniper against this.
12 May 2014, 14:49 PM

4 grens are too much on a small map against maxims. mg42 is crucial against holding gfround on this map against every tactic, even m3 since it has decent penetration now. just always keep it in cover and let the maxim run in to you. I prefer getting a mortar and sniper against this.

This video shows several times that a maxim can engage the mg42 head on and win. grens are always a valid choice no matter what strat the soviet player uses and i would not use the mg42 against this strat as a combination of maxims and at guns continually removed mg42 teams from the field.
In fact the Op lost the game because his mg42 didnt do much.

i use 4 grens as the foundation of my army and then decide what happens next
12 May 2014, 15:16 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post12 May 2014, 14:49 PMJaigen

This video shows several times that a maxim can engage the mg42 head on and win. grens are always a valid choice no matter what strat the soviet player uses and i would not use the mg42 against this strat as a combination of maxims and at guns continually removed mg42 teams from the field.
In fact the Op lost the game because his mg42 didnt do much.

i use 4 grens as the foundation of my army and then decide what happens next

Maybe, i didnt watch the video :P I veto crossing in the woods in 2v2 anyway. such a static map
12 May 2014, 16:04 PM
Donator 11

Thanks for the advice bro.

Would you use Snipers against RtN Milk Please?

No, you losse a lot of time using a sniper and It's still risky.

Is this purely from a 2v2 perspective?

Yes, 2v2 perspective, bad for germans.

For MHT in a 2v2, do you prefer Spearhead or Festung Support?

Festung Support, but It is like 50/50
13 May 2014, 06:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 May 2014, 16:04 PMjesulin
Festung Support, but It is like 50/50

Why Festung Support? (I'm a little bit surprised by your answer)
13 May 2014, 06:48 AM

Permanently Banned

Why Festung Support? (I'm a little bit surprised by your answer)

cuz, he uses Tiger in 1v1, and Howitzer in 2v2. I would do the same. The smoke is pretty same,but in 2v2 it is more usefull. You can drop smoke on your partner tanks if he doesnot have any.
Tiger worth nothing in 2v2, but in 1v1 it is far better than howtzer. Rest of the abilitys are meh, but the only way he uses these are the MHT, then choose in end game what do you need, Tiger or Howitzer.

Back to topic, gren spam on big maps, and mortal on small. And nope, the sniper is good only if you bring it as 5th /6th unit. It isnot cost effective in early game, but in late game he cant do anything against it. I would bring snipers against maxim spam instead going for PGrens.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★