Login

russian armor

Western Fronts Alpha

1 May 2014, 17:51 PM

For anyone that doesnt know, you can now apply for the alpha:
HERE
1 May 2014, 17:54 PM

"We will just include every player from 100 ladder and scatter some random people as well so that it will look unsuspicious." - Relic
1 May 2014, 17:55 PM

This things needs to stay on top.
1 May 2014, 18:31 PM
Patrion 14

Ha ha I applied and I'm like top 6000.
1 May 2014, 18:37 PM

Relic can't even find out the ranking on the basis of the application. You only need to state if you're noob, intermediate or hardcore player...
1 May 2014, 18:55 PM
Patrion 14

*sigh* I'll say again: high-ranked players aren't necessarily the best barometer of what's *fun*

What's the efficacy of unit 'Y' for a person capable of 4000 apm and twelve hours a day to play spare? Yup.

What's fun? Perhaps not.
1 May 2014, 19:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 May 2014, 18:37 PMQubix
Relic can't even find out the ranking on the basis of the application. You only need to state if you're noob, intermediate or hardcore player...

Exactly.
1 May 2014, 19:07 PM

*sigh* I'll say again: high-ranked players aren't necessarily the best barometer of what's *fun*

What's the efficacy of unit 'Y' for a person capable of 4000 apm and twelve hours a day to play spare? Yup.

What's fun? Perhaps not.

Why not? CoH1 (minus OF) pleased casuals and the elitist players. Same thing for Dota 2 and SC2. You can make a game with a high skill ceiling that appeals to low level players too, you can't make a game built for casuals appeal to the competitive crowd, or else the competitive crowd in reality is just the best of the casuals.
1 May 2014, 19:09 PM
Benefactor 115

Hearthstone, LoL, smash, (the list goes on) says other wise and I have to be honest that not all top ranked players are great testers either.
1 May 2014, 19:20 PM

Hearthstone, LoL, smash, (the list goes on) says other wise

LoL appeals to both but I can guarantee you its balanced from the top down. Maybe Smash is semi competitive but not even close to the level of RTS or MOBAS. Hearthstone is a card game- no micro or macro, completely irrelevant.
and I have to be honest that not all top ranked players are great testers either.

True, never said they were. But the best testers usually are pretty good. There are some low-mid level players that make good testers too so it should include both, but as far as balance goes it should cater towards the higher level players.
1 May 2014, 19:28 PM
Benefactor 115

Maybe Smash is semi competitive but not even close to the level of RTS or MOBAS.

10 year old game, 700 live participants last year in July at Vegas. Small game?http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/jul/01/evo-2013-confirmed-largest-super-smash-bros-tournament-date-nearly-700-participants/

10 year old game, 1200 live participants in January this year in New Jersey. Still a small game? http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/interview/35616/apex-2014-interview-talking-bout-the-biggest-smash-bros-tournament-around

Hearthstone is a card game- no micro or macro, completely irrelevant.

It's aimed for casual players yet it has an extraordinary competitive scene because it has no "micro" or "macro" (whatever the fuck that is supposed to mean) doesn't make the game irrelevant. I would say it's a very relevant game and a good example of a game that destroys the preconceptions people have on this board about what makes a game competitive or not.

These preconceptions people have do the CoH scene way more harm and should be dumped immediately or you can continue to have your 100 online player tournaments every quarter with 40-60% no shows and continue to bicker about trivial ladder placements or a crappy pride post replay.
1 May 2014, 19:42 PM

Permanently Banned
they should balance the game first instead releasing new expansion( soviet snipers..)
1 May 2014, 19:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 May 2014, 19:42 PMakosi
they should balance the game first instead releasing new expansion( soviet snipers..)

They did this patch.
If don't accept something, it doesn't mean its broken.

Thou a pair of certain 100 range units that should never make it to the game is broken but I doubt that will ever change.
1 May 2014, 19:50 PM

Permanently Banned

They did this patch.
If don't accept something, it doesn't mean its broken.

Thou a pair of certain 100 range units that should never make it to the game is broken but I doubt that will ever change.

I dont know how it is going in noobstomp 3v3-4v4, but ask any player ,who has clue about the game, about soviet snipers.
1 May 2014, 20:00 PM

Permanently Banned
back to topic, i think you can boost your chance by applying multiple times, i think i will apply as John Mcclane - game developer
1 May 2014, 20:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 May 2014, 20:00 PMakosi
back to topic, i think you can boost your chance by applying multiple times, i think i will apply as John Mcclane - game developer
I'm Gimme Alpha, hardcore game developer. I can't lose.
1 May 2014, 20:26 PM

It's aimed for casual players yet it has an extraordinary competitive scene because it has no "micro" or "macro" (whatever the fuck that is supposed to mean) doesn't make the game irrelevant. I would say it's a very relevant game and a good example of a game that destroys the preconceptions people have on this board about what makes a game competitive or not.

Its irrelevant to this conversation because BFW was saying high level players don't know how to make a game enjoyable for the masses and specifically cited micro discrepancy as the reason, which does not exist in a card game.
1 May 2014, 21:34 PM

Its irrelevant to this conversation because BFW was saying high level players don't know how to make a game enjoyable for the masses and specifically cited micro discrepancy as the reason, which does not exist in a card game.

The point that IpKai was making was in reference to when you said this: "you can't make a game built for casuals appeal to the competitive crowd." Which is simply completely wrong.

Magic: The Gathering started as a small, pretty casual card game and is now immensely popular with world-wide tournaments and world championships.

SSB, SSBM, SSBB were all designed and made to appeal to the casual crowd (Nintendo has actually fought against the competitive Smash scene) yet SSBM/SSBB have thriving competitive scenes that rival even SC 2. (You could probably argue that the competitive scenes of Smash are better and even more relevant to e-sports than SC 2 currently.)

Hearthstone was also made aimed entirely at casuals yet consistently gets 30,000+ viewers on Twitch daily, has international tournaments, is being featured at huge multi-game LAN tournaments etc etc. I don't see how you can say it isn't relevant because it has no micro or macro. Chess has no micro or macro and is still an extremely competitive game. A game doesn't need micro/macro to be a good competitive game.

DoTA 2 (which obviously spawned LoL [and DoTA/LoL are probably the largest e-sports we've ever had]) started... guess what... as a COMPLETELY casual game for killing time between WC3 ladder matches. (Yes the idea of MOBAs goes back to SC1, but none were even near the same level as DoTA/LoL are)

So let's recap. The two most popular esports ever started as completely casual games. One of the most popular fighting games ever started as a casual game. The two most popular card games (MTG/HS) both started as casual games. Even SC:BW, which is probably the most competitive/skill-based RTS of all time, was NEVER designed to be competitive.

So yes, you absolutely CAN make games designed for casuals turn into highly competitive games. SSBM is more relevant to e-sports than every RTS except for SC:BW/SC2/WC3. Hearthstone is more relevant to e-sports than even SC 2 is currently.
1 May 2014, 22:01 PM

so, not to be impatient, but when are they gonna tell me if I am in the alpha? I only got a confirmation mail after I applied.

Relic! Answer, now! :)
1 May 2014, 22:02 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post1 May 2014, 22:01 PMFluffi
so, not to be impatient, but when are they gonna tell me if I am in the alpha? I only got a confirmation mail after I applied.

Relic! Answer, now! :)

before June i think
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight