Login

russian armor

Ways to play '' Lend Lease''

28 Apr 2014, 11:09 AM

Well after 1st getting excited looking at the doc, having had a play, Im left slightly scratching my head wondering what the best way is to play out this doctrine.

I used no tier buildings, which worked all right, but I really missed some indirect fire. It would have worked much better with a ZiS and mortar(s), and a lot of MINES.. lots and lots and lots of them. This doc floats muni like a mother, so I think a second engie could be a good investment. If you go conscript heavy with DHkas, its easy to have early map control, thats when 2 engies for mines would be good.

So just T2 might be best way to play it.

However I feel like it might be nice to use the fuel ability to supplement a T3/4.

T4 seems kinda pointless along side the sherman, unless you just wanted Katushkas.

T3 might be nice for a mix of 34/75s and Shermans, using the fuel ability to its max. This kinda wastes the M5 call in.. but I guess thats no biggie.

Its a shame the M5 and guard call ins can not be upgraded, as that would be a very useful channel for all those floated munis.. but I guess they decided it would have been imba.
28 Apr 2014, 11:15 AM
Honorary Member Badge

You could spend the floated munis on the fuel ability, though it isn't very efficient.

The doctrine seems to complement T4 better honestly, since the Sherman is a T-34 analogue, and the M5 you call in means you don't need T3 for reinforcement on the field.
28 Apr 2014, 11:29 AM

Ah I thought you couldnt upgrade quad package, but just played again and you can. Its just the Guards which have short range weapons and hence no upgrades.

T34/76s and Shermans are not a bad combo imo, because the T34 are cheaper, come sooner and have better AI. The shermans then arrive to allow a little more AT.

If you play with no tier T3/4 (sherman spam), you dont even need the fuel ability, because you float fuel anyway.
28 Apr 2014, 11:44 AM

IMO T2 a must with any call in doctrine. Sherman's don't own the field, they are still decent tanks so far, but they simply don't cut the mustard. Hence, a couple of ZiS would be perfect with forementioned mines everywhere.
I usually build T4 as well to get a SU-85 and supplement my AT defences even more.
If you run low on mp, a cheaper maxim could work just fine.
M4c knock out pinned infantry and pull German tanks into AT ambush.
Mines everywhere as always.
28 Apr 2014, 11:53 AM

SU85 is always nice to have, but I feel its a little expensive to go T4 for heavy AT, when the shermans main role is AT.

For me, I feel its nice to go really aggresive, with fast T34s, then shermans to back them up. This gives a really mobile tank force, with a little more bite than normal. And where Shermans begin to struggle, youve got ram on hand then. And yeah, Id back this with probably one ZiS.

Doing this makes great use of spare munis/ fuel ability.

Only the M5 call in is kind of a waste, but maybe its still worth it for the guards.
28 Apr 2014, 14:39 PM

SU85 is always nice to have, but I feel its a little expensive to go T4 for heavy AT, when the shermans main role is AT.

For me, I feel its nice to go really aggresive, with fast T34s, then shermans to back them up. This gives a really mobile tank force, with a little more bite than normal. And where Shermans begin to struggle, youve got ram on hand then. And yeah, Id back this with probably one ZiS.

Doing this makes great use of spare munis/ fuel ability.

Only the M5 call in is kind of a waste, but maybe its still worth it for the guards.

I couldn't disagree more, I've been using this doc for the past few days and I build scripts for early game, until 2cp and I get a Dshk or two. go t2 for mortars and zis, to provide some AT to make up for the slight delay in getting t4 armor out, Then I build SU-85 to fill the AT role. My shermans (upgunned with the 50 cal.) roll in front of the crew to draw out/engage panthers and the like and let the su-85(s) Do the heavy lifting.

I really dont see much of an advantage to building t-34 as they have the same caliber main gun (76mm), though im not sure about the game stats. It seems like a t-34 with more AI and less AT use due to lack of ram.

Also, the upgunned M5 is amazing and is constantly wiping the floor with infantry blobs. Nothing makes me happier than being able to chase down a shrekd pgren squad on retreat! I find the upgunned m5 useful throughout the entire game, they are a great way to protect your su-85s from pgrens and can also pop forward now and then to decrew enemy weapons and even lure in some enemy armor to SU-85 range.

tl;dr
I really like this doctrine, and M5 is awesome.
28 Apr 2014, 14:54 PM

Yeah, that's about same what I do with this commander. Probably, I build T4 because of fear of waves of panthers and tigers that used to roll out every other team game. Shermans and T-34 don't perform to well against them.
Decent commander IMO.
28 Apr 2014, 15:08 PM

Con
Con
Con
Con
Molo
T2
maxim
mortar
maxim
zis
t4
su85
haltrck
sherman
Makesure to use mines lots of them and use the haltrack to support your weapon teams and your pushes, its nice to reinforce with out retreating.
28 Apr 2014, 15:18 PM

It's interesting in that it's quite versatile and could be played many ways.

t34 is not a waste along side Sherman. It has better AI. And the fuel ability can be used to call an early T34 way before 9cp. Or even an early T70 given the light vehicle meta.
28 Apr 2014, 15:24 PM

It's interesting in that it's quite versatile and could be played many ways.

t34 is not a waste along side Sherman. It has better AI. And the fuel ability can be used to call an early T34 way before 9cp. Or even an early T70 given the light vehicle meta.

Going t3 when already have the sherman and haltrack is a waste, it has better at and its ai is more than enough to deal with infantry, you're shooting yourself in the foot going t3 with this doctorine imo
28 Apr 2014, 15:54 PM

You can't really say that. You could say you prefer to play it the other way. But if it works and wins games, it's not shooting yourself in the foot. It's personal preference.

Aggressive soviets with fast t3 has always been really powerful, but then lacking late AT relying on ZiS. But that's why the fuel ability and shermans can fit well.
28 Apr 2014, 16:45 PM

Actually I go T1 for snipers. And I'll switch a con for a penal if I see the opponent spamming bunkers. With lend lease you don't need to build T2 for maxims since you got the "Dushka" or however the fuck you call it. I go to T4 since you have shermans and m3 halftrack in the doctrine which I will upgrade to a quad. I will spam SU-85s if there is a lot of enenmy tanks. Shermans and quad if there are a lot of infantry. With the fuel call in you can get a lot of SU-85s.

Lend lease is very good as you pretty much have access to all tiers. The only things you don't have access to are mortars, AT guns and T70s. Lend lease is probably better for team games though.

So summing up I usually go for:
-T1
-Sniper
-con
-con
-con/penal
-Healing
-AT nades
-may mix in Dushka or second sniper depending on situation
-T4
-call ins or SU-76 if need light vehicle AT
-SU-85s if needed.
-spam shermans
-get katyusha if needed
28 Apr 2014, 18:02 PM

I've had some success using this Doctrine with relative flexibility.

I almost always start with 4 cons. Then after the 4th conscripts I have several options that I can use. I can go molotov and T2 for maxims if the german is going grenadier heavy.

If instead he went Assault grens or more than one support weapon (mortar and mg, 2 mg, etc.). I'll go for T1 and get a flamethrower on my engi for the scout car. In this case I usually will not get Molotovs in order to save the munitions on mines and AT nades. Then when they get out their own scout car, which is likely, I'll get AT nades and a DshKa to deal with it.

In both cases I'll almost always get T4 after my first Sherman call-in. Shermans are just too light armored to deal with Tigers and especially Panthers on their own, but are usually good enough that they can take T3 with a little luck or micro. Having the option for artillery is nice as well, given the doctrines distinct lack of arty.

T3 is nice, but I think it overlaps too much with the Lend Lease doctrine to be a good choice. With ram in its current state, it's not worth it to get T34s as a heavy tank disabler, and the Sherman seems to outperform the T34 in almost every category. You can already get the M5 from the doctrine, and with T70s costing 70 fuel, they just aren't worth it to build the T3 building to get them. You can get 2 shermans for the cost of building t3 and getting 2 t70s.
28 Apr 2014, 18:45 PM

Nice analysis.

I'll certainly give it a try with T1-T4.

I wonder if 3 cons, sniper would be a good opening, into Dshka.

I think there are a lot stronger doctrines about atm for soviets, it's just fun to play with a new unit.
28 Apr 2014, 19:01 PM

Permanently Banned
6 cons 2 hmg 1 halftrack spam shermans :S
28 Apr 2014, 19:21 PM
Patrion 14

I've played it with both T3 (mit T34 / Sherman) and T4 (for Katys and SU85). Both times I went T2 for ZiS as extra AT as I'm really, really leery of German armour.

Both were fun, but the T4 edged it as the Katy / SU85 synergy is a win - win (anti inf smackdown with the Katy, extra anti-armour to back-up my Shermans).

All in all an interesting doctrine that is flexible and fun. Oh, and free, cheers Relic.
28 Apr 2014, 23:56 PM

I use Zis+ T-34/76+ Shermans with this doctrine. The reason being that 9 CP comes too late and I need armor.

So I have Zis up first, and then T-34, and then Shermans.

One can go T4 of course..it's up to strats.

But you can still destroy Tigers and Panthers cost effectively- in fact I think using T-34 + Sherman is better. I used them like the M10s from vCOH.
29 Apr 2014, 07:25 AM

I also would like to mention that it's awesome that we can finally play with access to medium tanks and tank destroyers on the field at the same time. Medium tanks is the flanker and damage sponge while the SU-85 deals the damage from long range :)
29 Apr 2014, 07:54 AM

this thread peaks my interest

could you guys please post more build-orders gents!

thanks
3 May 2014, 22:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2014, 07:54 AMbuckers
this thread peaks my interest

could you guys please post more build-orders gents!

thanks

Here is what I did in a resent game + Some things you could do normally
In a resent game I played, I used the following build-order:
3xcon (get molotovs whenever you want; depends on map and enemy buildorder.. Never get them before 3 cons!!!)
con
I usually go with a dishka
T1 --> Sniper (Usually, I go with T2 since you get no AT! - but I capped a lot of his weapons)
AT-grenades (you will need it for the rest of the game, since it's a good investment, get 'em fairly quickly)
Call-in Guards

Derp around with this, It works for me! +If you float with Ammo, get some 'Murica fuel!!!

The rest of the game:
Got useless T3 building --> T70. (Got destroyed right after I build it. Fucking worst decision of my life)
I will greentext from here:
>Decide I will w8 for lvl9 shermans since I wasted 200 fuel on that 1 tank
>Get my shermans by the time he has 2 P4s
>Micro2Win
>Get 3 shermans
>Rush his base
MFW I didn't lose any shermans!

Happy hunting
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias