Login

russian armor

CoH2 Beta

PAGES (16)down
4 Feb 2013, 08:18 AM

I doubt that they will release it on the summer. Since they wouldn't sell as much at that point because people are busy with other things. But we'll have to wait and see. ;)

Didnt blizzard release sc2 on summer or do i remember wrong :D ? Well ofc you cant compare but ... just saying..
4 Feb 2013, 14:35 PM

I think that it is good that the beta has been delayed, more time to get it polished imo. I also hope for a longer beta. But I think the game being delayed is a forgone conclusion at this point. Might be released in the second half of the year.
4 Feb 2013, 15:00 PM

I'm hoping they are actually prepared to take the community's feedback to heart, even as far as changing game mechanics. The explanation for the sector/resource system change was just pathetic.
4 Feb 2013, 15:17 PM

I'm hoping they are actually prepared to take the community's feedback to heart, even as far as changing game mechanics. The explanation for the sector/resource system change was just pathetic.

I agree, it was like the sectors had no real value in the Alpha compared to CoH's system.
4 Feb 2013, 17:44 PM

Yeah, it was insulting.

It was like "Yeah, some new players lose at CoH ( God forbid anything have a learning curve ever ) because they don't understand the significance of resource points."

I've got better suggestions for ya, Relic.

1> Have an automatically viewable set of Automatch replays for high ranks viewable from the main page. Hold a pre-release post-beta tourney ( with the day 0 version, of course ) and post the better games from it to seed its Day 1 state.

2> Prominently link to strategy forums like this one.

3> Actually put MP tips ( they'll have to be generic since the CoH2 metagame is still immature ) on the loading screens. Follow this up by updating it with new tips from the Dev, Razor, Symbi, Fireball, etc. as the metagame develops.

Now, I still am not very good, but I blame my own shortcomings and I know where to get advice and I know how good players play. A lot of people, I think, just need a little boost to go look for advice.
4 Feb 2013, 18:16 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

The resource system in coh2 seems a bit off, i really liked the cutoffs etc.
4 Feb 2013, 18:26 PM

Yeah, it was insulting.

It was like "Yeah, some new players lose at CoH ( God forbid anything have a learning curve ever ) because they don't understand the significance of resource points."

I've got better suggestions for ya, Relic.

1> Have an automatically viewable set of Automatch replays for high ranks viewable from the main page. Hold a pre-release post-beta tourney ( with the day 0 version, of course ) and post the better games from it to seed its Day 1 state.

2> Prominently link to strategy forums like this one.

3> Actually put MP tips ( they'll have to be generic since the CoH2 metagame is still immature ) on the loading screens. Follow this up by updating it with new tips from the Dev, Razor, Symbi, Fireball, etc. as the metagame develops.

Now, I still am not very good, but I blame my own shortcomings and I know where to get advice and I know how good players play. A lot of people, I think, just need a little boost to go look for advice.

agreed^
4 Feb 2013, 18:35 PM

1>

2>

3>

sounds awesome
4 Feb 2013, 18:50 PM
Patrion 14

The difficulty curve of CoH is steep which is all part of the appeal, but forums like this can be an echo chamber for a tiny slice of the community (and don't get me wrong, I watch replays, love SNF even though my game still has a long way to go).

The esports / elite crowd can be intimidating. They need to recognise this if a pool of better players is to develop.

So there needs to be a shallow end. I was playing vCoH for a loooong time before I got into it competitively. I think all player types can be catered to by simply making stuff optional. There should be difficulty sliders for almost everything.

Strategy points? On and Off
Resources? Choose
Commander abilities? No thanks / yes please

Before you flame me off the board, none of theses should EVER apply to ranked games. Ranked games should be the standard that all aspire to. But create a nice warm shallow end with lots of options and today's casual gamer might become tomorrows DEVM or Tommy or Sepha.

I used to comp stomp and play the occasional basic match, now I'm knocking on the door of level ten on the 1 v 1 (like I say, I'm a very average player and probably will always be) and love CoH.

Peace

BFW
4 Feb 2013, 18:59 PM
Benefactor 115

Good points, getting someone to transition from comp stomper/campaign player to automatch and tournament player is a dilemma many developers and communities face for many games out there.

I believe the solution to it is a lot more difficult than people believe it is. The MOBA games (LoL, HoN and DoTA) in my opinion have done a good job to address this issue and it's a good starting point to look at for other game developers and communities.
4 Feb 2013, 19:13 PM
Honorary Member Badge

The transition is very simple - you decide to play competitively, that is all.
4 Feb 2013, 19:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Feb 2013, 19:13 PM12azor

Yes, but getting more people to make that decision is not ;)
4 Feb 2013, 20:11 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Feb 2013, 19:13 PM12azor

Apply this dictum to any real-world sport. All sports that thrive and succeed nurture talent.

I live in the UK and like watching rugby. We introduce kids to touch rugby, a very simple version of the game that introduces basic principles. From that (large) pool of potential talent we get a world-class team.

Your attitude, with respect, is exactly the type of haughty, online gun-slinger approach that puts off n00bs. And we need lots of n00bs to buy and enjoy this game on multiple levels to support, long-term, the type of gaming you presumably enjoy.
4 Feb 2013, 20:22 PM

Your attitude, with respect, is exactly the type of haughty, online gun-slinger approach that puts off n00bs. And we need lots of n00bs to buy and enjoy this game on multiple levels to support, long-term, the type of gaming you presumably enjoy.

No offense but you're the one starting the insults here.

Anyways there is a shallow end for CoH, basic matchs on the Scheldt. I'm going to admit without shame that is how I got into CoH before getting into automatch XD
4 Feb 2013, 20:35 PM
Patrion 14

Where are the insults? I was perfectly civil.
4 Feb 2013, 20:50 PM

OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!!111111oneoneone

as long as it's optional and doesn't affect automatching, i don't care.
the more options, the better.
5 Feb 2013, 00:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Feb 2013, 20:22 PMS73v0

No offense but you're the one starting the insults here.

Anyways there is a shallow end for CoH, basic matchs on the Scheldt. I'm going to admit without shame that is how I got into CoH before getting into automatch XD

While attitude like that probably doesn't help, does anyone really think someone that thin skinned is going to make it to the top anyhow? You gotta be a little bit haughty to belly up to a no holds barred CoH 1v1 in the first place.

There's no problem with Scheldt newbs, really. Their money keeps the game afloat.

The only thing that makes Scheldt newbs insufferable is that some of them find their way to the balance forum :)

Here's a better question: Would competitive players be willing to pay $15-20 a month for automatch access? This would really allow them to patch like crazy and would mean it was our game and they didn't have to pander to "scrubs."

I'm not talking about some COHO BS, I mean just standard non-persistent automatch.
5 Feb 2013, 03:18 AM

Here's a better question: Would competitive players be willing to pay $15-20 a month for automatch access? This would really allow them to patch like crazy and would mean it was our game and they didn't have to pander to "scrubs."

I'm not talking about some COHO BS, I mean just standard non-persistent automatch.

nope it would just kill the game before it ever really started. One of the stupidest ideas in the history of ever.

Go in the corner please
5 Feb 2013, 03:29 AM

We also need to understand that not everybody plays games to be competitive.

MOBA Games have an advantage over strategy games: The gameplay is stupidly simple. The map(s) don't change AT ALL. The complex part is the individual micro skills of each player, coupled with the diverse kinds of heroes and their ability to form a cohesive strategy to achieve the incredibly simple gameplay loop.

IMHO, MOBA games also have a dedicated community that have developed lots of quick and dirty tutorials to the gameplay, whereas in CoH, only GR really did so, and in a limited manner (you had to read an entire article, that sometimes included videos).

5 Feb 2013, 03:52 AM
Senior Caster Badge

The way to turn compstompers into competitive players is with shoutcasts. Shoutcasts make competitive matches look fun and exciting and interesting, and they provide helpful strategic tips to newer players that make them understand that they, too, can play to win and actually use strategy. Day9 is amazing at this in Starcraft II and things like Tales of Heroes were great at this in CoH.
PAGES (16)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS