Login

russian armor

The third HBO miniseries announced

21 Apr 2014, 20:59 PM

No shitty love stories this time please. Pacific while better and more realistic in violence and battle was rubbish in story.
21 Apr 2014, 21:19 PM

Pacific was based on actual books and memoirs. Sledge's story is taken directly from his experiences and written in the marine corps classic 'With the Old Breed'.
21 Apr 2014, 22:06 PM

Pacific was meh. While it was well done, people watch war movies/shows to see war. The trials and tribulations of coming home and dealing with it tends to not make good entertainment as you see with all the gulf war 1/2 coming home movies made and flopped. Glorify,horrify but please never borify.
21 Apr 2014, 22:22 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Searching for any info about the state of "Masters of the Air" comes up pretty empty. Either they're being super secretive or something is up.
21 Apr 2014, 22:28 PM

Gah, whilst they're impressive series my beef with Band of Brothers at the least was that it portrayed all the men as saints who were as celibate as monks, spend five minutes with a bunch of guys all together by themselves and you know what I mean...

Also the American-centrism... what about the Red Army, they're the guys that won it! Or the Brits even.

It strikes me this is going to be another set of American flag waving... apologies to Americans but there were plenty more people than you guys in the war and Hollywood with such marketing clout and worldwide influence should be more accountable to making a realistic and balanced view rather than just this idea that the Americans did everything worth telling in the war...

Not saints. One of the stories was how one officer probably killed several German POW's.

And of course the Russians were left out. So were pretty much any other soldier who wasn't in Easy company or 2nd Battalion of the 506th Parachute Regiment (Capt. Winters' command when he was made the battalion commander of Easy's battalion).
21 Apr 2014, 22:37 PM

Pacific was meh. While it was well done, people watch war movies/shows to see war. The trials and tribulations of coming home and dealing with it tends to not make good entertainment as you see with all the gulf war 1/2 coming home movies made and flopped. Glorify,horrify but please never borify.

I think you are right that the mix doesn't really work. It didn't for me because part of the film seemed to be about the Marines, then about one Marine, then about some Marines. Band of Brothers worked because you had one protagonist, Capt. Winters, who represented for us the company, and it followed him and his men from training through to the end of the war.

A truly great film about the trials and tribulations was "The best years of our lives" which won best picture in 1946 and was a very cathartic film for the US and US veterans after the war.

But it was a film ABOUT the trials and tribulations of the veterans and their return and there wasn't a war scene, or even the retelling of war stories, in the film.
21 Apr 2014, 23:20 PM

I don't know about that. Sledge coming back home and having no direction in life anymore, traumatized by all that he had seen and done hit me in the feels, that episode was alright to be in there imo.

Been a while since I watched it so I can't exactly remember why I didn't enjoy it as much as BoB, probably because it wasn't focused on one company and generally the tone of the series was much more bleak and stayed that way rather than an overall feeling of triumph and glory that BoB seemed to emanate half the time.
22 Apr 2014, 00:22 AM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

I think it is time to make such a series out of the perspective of a German unit on the eastern front!
22 Apr 2014, 01:04 AM

I think it is time to make such a series out of the perspective of a German unit on the eastern front!

The Germans made several. One considered particularly good is "Stalingrad" made in 1993.
22 Apr 2014, 01:38 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

That wasn't a series and that wasn't HBO or Showtime. The high-budget television series for premium channels is a unique animal that has become hugely popular after the success of groundbreakers like "The Sopranos" and "Sex in the City", and newer original programming like "Homeland", "Dexter", "Game of Thrones" etc. It would be difficult for a writer to pitch a "German soldiers on the Eastern Front" story to HBO or Showtime executives.
22 Apr 2014, 01:44 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

The most recent piece of news that I can find about this series claims that it is in the "writing stage", and that was from Oct. of 2013.

http://hbowatch.com/writing-of-masters-of-the-air-for-hbo-in-progress/

I wonder if it got canned or delayed because of this "The Mighty Eighth" film.
22 Apr 2014, 01:51 AM

Have you not seen "Unsere Mütter, Unsere Väter/Generation War"?

Though a multi-part series like BoB would be nice too.
22 Apr 2014, 04:06 AM

Cross of Iron (1977) - is a movie based on the eastern front (German perspective).

22 Apr 2014, 04:15 AM

yep
22 Apr 2014, 04:18 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Apr 2014, 01:04 AMAvNY

The Germans made several. One considered particularly good is "Stalingrad" made in 1993.

22 Apr 2014, 04:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Apr 2014, 18:08 PMtokarev

Oh we all know it, you are not the one who attented a school. But thanks for reminder anyway.

No offence but there is tons of people dunno the difference of Austria and Australia, even some guys here. :p
22 Apr 2014, 11:07 AM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Yeah "Unsere Mütter unsere Väter" was pretty cool and i loved to watch it :)
22 Apr 2014, 12:20 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I want to watch "Unsere Mütter unsere Väter" auf Deutsch. How can I see it? PM me linkxes pl0x.
22 Apr 2014, 13:22 PM

I want to watch "Unsere Mütter unsere Väter" auf Deutsch. How can I see it? PM me linkxes pl0x.

I watched it on Netflix. :D
22 Apr 2014, 14:37 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Buy the DvD :D Aren't you in Germany? ^^
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L