Login

russian armor

Any use of Osttruppen at current patch?

7 Apr 2014, 16:09 PM

Any have build or something?
7 Apr 2014, 16:30 PM

Nope. They cost too much and are too weak to warrant 200 mp this patch. Add in the fact that they can't faust without T1 anyway and half capping speed and they're basically worthless.

I think they would be more useful if they could cap at normal speed now that they cost 200 mp. The whole half capping speed made sense when they were 120 mp so you couldn't use them as zergling cappers.
8 Apr 2014, 09:46 AM
Donator 22

Nope. They cost too much and are too weak to warrant 200 mp this patch. Add in the fact that they can't faust without T1 anyway and half capping speed and they're basically worthless.

I think they would be more useful if they could cap at normal speed now that they cost 200 mp. The whole half capping speed made sense when they were 120 mp so you couldn't use them as zergling cappers.

+ invest 40 more manpower and get a much more viable grenadier squad for it. Additionally to that you can use another doctrine.
8 Apr 2014, 09:49 AM

Makes really no sense with the cappingspeed now, I guess it was overlooked. Good someone brings it up.
8 Apr 2014, 12:03 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Indeed, Osttruppen suck incredibly now and they just a bleed on manpower.
9 Apr 2014, 02:41 AM

I did a 4v4 tonight where I did Jaeger Armor and my ally who went with me did Ostruppen. It is good for getting to points fast and hunkering down to beat the first couple of waves. It worked really well. He was able to cover early with a mediocre at best amount of support from me. Then I got an Elefant and a Rocket Truck in to clear the flank of any and all entrenched infantry/armor. It worked incredibly well.
16 Apr 2014, 18:05 PM

Ostruppen as call-ins have been utterly nerfed into the stone-ages. Better to have an extra Pio squad out there instead.
17 Apr 2014, 16:20 PM

oSSSSSStruppen strategy seems more viable IMO
28 Apr 2014, 03:19 AM

I've really tried using Ostruppen with this new patch and they definitely have some major weaknesses. They get swept away by conscripts, even in cover, and really have nothing to offer with regard to different tech options due to the panzerfaust requiring the T1 building.

Where I have seen some success/advantages in using them:
1: they do allow a strong early game presence if you skip T1 (but you do miss out on their fausts).
2: combined with the artillery commander's special ability a small blob of them can actually decimate conscripts and other soviet units, which can offer an unexpected surprise for a soviet player who has gotten used to pushing them around in the early game.
3: they are cheap to reinforce (16MP), so even with an expensive inital cost, they can save you money if you're careful to micro them.
4: they are excellent meat shields for p.grens in the mid to late.

Some thoughts to balance them:
1: Consider giving them fausts at vet2, or unlocking them with battle phase 1. (This will allow a player to skip T1 without penalty and try different build orders/tech strats)
2: Lower their reinforcement cost to 10MP (this reinforces their expendable nature, without having to reduce their initial cost, and makes them less of an MP sink)
24 May 2014, 16:24 PM

So, i`ve seen some replays in Propagandacast, where OST player, play Osttruppen. What do you think, still is it unplayed docrine?
24 May 2014, 16:46 PM

they're not terrible against sniper spam as they don't bleed out as quickly as grens, but on the other hand they can't use riflenades, so they're not that good even then.
29 May 2014, 18:24 PM

I choose this commander any time I see sniper or M3 spam. Their available faust and cheapness make them excellent buffers vs these manpower draining units. Supported by a gren squad or a 222 they work wonders vs this T1 strat. Beyond that I think they just need to get rid of the half cap rate because they went up so much in price. They would be fine if they could cap at a normal rate.
13 Jun 2014, 07:15 AM

Ostruppen dont provide any benefits against soviet sniper. It's better to push with all your units that can actually do damage, and have extra grens for flanking rather than several ostruppen.

They could even selectively snipe the rest of your army instead too...

Ostruppen need to be 120 mp and really long CD. Having 1-2 is handy for recrewing/fausting/overlapping mg42s for meatshield, but that's it.
14 Jun 2014, 06:49 AM
Benefactor 340

They're not much good unless ur using them as bait or a distraction, other than that they have little to no health and shoot like star wars storm troopers
16 Jun 2014, 13:21 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Having the trench is better than having the Ostruppen. MG in a trench with an Ostrupen squad to faust vehicles works well, especially on semoskiy if you put it near the enemy's fuel in the open fields.
6 Jul 2014, 01:40 AM

They still work well vs Soviets, but unless the US is spamming team weapons the rifleman easily overwhelm them with BAR's.. and the new US infantry support gun does incredible damage to them as well.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★