Login

russian armor

New patch, KV-8 still OP

3 Apr 2014, 17:09 PM

Use mines. Simple.
3 Apr 2014, 17:48 PM

Unit is not OP so much as it encourages poor play (suicide base rushes). But as mentioned very hard to balance.

Wait for next patch, then let's see where it stands.
3 Apr 2014, 18:07 PM

Permanently Banned

This.

"use a Panther" they say. By the time you "use a Panther" your army is charcoal. It usually hit the field when you have no serious counter (this including a PIV too).
How many times it frontal attacked several paks killing them and escaping? Countless. So it really doesn't matter how "good" you are using your paks.
Just get close with pzschrecks or pzfaust and that means squad wipe.
Only chance for soviets? Just... lol.

What german unit can enter unsupported in the soviet base, erasing half of soviet army and escape with minimal damage?

For example a Tiger with Blitzkrieg! :)
It's so simple. You have to do things Sovjets must do every game against good oponents. Plant mines! Adapt to the new playstyle!
3 Apr 2014, 18:12 PM

This.

"use a Panther" they say. By the time you "use a Panther" your army is charcoal. It usually hit the field when you have no serious counter (this including a PIV too).
How many times it frontal attacked several paks killing them and escaping? Countless. So it really doesn't matter how "good" you are using your paks.
Just get close with pzschrecks or pzfaust and that means squad wipe.
Only chance for soviets? Just... lol.

What german unit can enter unsupported in the soviet base, erasing half of soviet army and escape with minimal damage?

Umm, if you are unable to get a P4 before 16-18th minute of the game, then let me tell you this-KV-8 is not an issue here.

And about PaKs, Brummbar does exactly the same, without a doctrine and from better range.
3 Apr 2014, 18:14 PM
Patrion 310

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Apr 2014, 16:56 PMShazz
It's another hard to balance thing. Nobody wants Sherman Croc 2.0, but right now it is pretty silly how it can easily pay for itself and more with a suicide run. It bounces even panther rounds a good percentage of the time and even if they all penetrate still takes on the order of >30s to kill due to high health, during which it can incinerate anything in its huge range in no time.

You must be aware that the majority of soviet armour and at suffer this problem a lot vs a Panther? That on its own is an irritation but even more so when it pops smoke and goes to Warp.
3 Apr 2014, 18:27 PM

A P4 has a measly 45% chance to penetrate KV8 frontal armor, but 91% its rear armor. Compared that to a panther's 70% chance vs frontal armor and 100% rear armor. KV8 is also not very fast and does not have blitzkrieg nor smoke. Use that knowledge to your advantage. It is also doctrinal, which means you can prepare for it if you pay attention to what your opponent is doing.

If you let it get close to your infantry, then it will do its (one and only) job. A teller mine will ruin any KV8 rush, where you can take it out easily with your AT from range.
3 Apr 2014, 18:41 PM

You must be aware that the majority of soviet armour and at suffer this problem a lot vs a Panther? That on its own is an irritation but even more so when it pops smoke and goes to Warp.

And arguing that infantry based units cannot kill the kv-8 means instant nerf? Lol. German paks die to everything, saying the kv-8 kills it too well is pretty stupid if it is dead anyways.
3 Apr 2014, 19:16 PM

A P4 has a measly 45% chance to penetrate KV8 frontal armor, but 91% its rear armor. Compared that to a panther's 70% chance vs frontal armor and 100% rear armor. KV8 is also not very fast and does not have blitzkrieg nor smoke. Use that knowledge to your advantage. It is also doctrinal, which means you can prepare for it if you pay attention to what your opponent is doing.

If you let it get close to your infantry, then it will do its (one and only) job. A teller mine will ruin any KV8 rush, where you can take it out easily with your AT from range.

+1
I love it when people complain about the KV-8, even though it has one simple job: roasting OP Grens Maybe if you didn't try to faust it every time and used tanks it might help. I'd also recommend if your stuck with t2 paks to lay a teller mine near the paks, that way you can lead the kv-8 into it and finish it off afterwards(not that hard)

On a side note I will admit the KV-8 does have a pretty effective dmg output(so reducing maybe it's rate of fire might help the situation)
3 Apr 2014, 19:30 PM

The entire point of the KV8 is to hard counter infantry builds. The only other tank Soviets have that can deal with diverse heavy infantry use is the IS2.
3 Apr 2014, 19:39 PM

Teller on road into your base. Problem solved. If you see shocks pick Tiger doctrine, don't go T3, problem also solved.

If he went PPSH shocks, just beat them with pgrens. If he went ISU, laugh and make panthers.

3 Apr 2014, 20:41 PM

What? That german players xD Ever they cry :D

You are not able to conter an Kv-8 ? Thats poor. It is the only unit for the russians to conter the blobbing of german grens and shreck units and when it woorks a litle, the german cries, ohh its still op ... Oh man. When the german inf. get fixed we can talk about nerving Kv-8 !!
3 Apr 2014, 20:52 PM

Use teller/riegel mines against the KV-8.

Now that vanilla grenadiers are solid units, the germans no longer need to spend a lot of munitions to compete with soviet infantry. So you should have plenty of munitions for mines.

Of course, you could spam G43s/LMG42s and S-mines to cause heavy soviet MP bleeding, but then you run the risk of not having enough mines in place to halt a KV-8. The choice is yours.
3 Apr 2014, 20:58 PM

Halp! I can't counter a KV8 with the following units;

Panzer IV
Panther V
Tiger
King Tiger
Brumbar
Pak-40
3 Apr 2014, 21:19 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post3 Apr 2014, 20:41 PMChris
What? That german players xD Ever they cry :D

You are not able to conter an Kv-8 ? Thats poor. It is the only unit for the russians to conter the blobbing of german grens and shreck units and when it woorks a litle, the german cries, ohh its still op ... Oh man. When the german inf. get fixed we can talk about nerving Kv-8 !!

+1

If the KV-8 gets nerfed, the game will be dead. 100% / 0% and germans will still complain. Can't imagine relic to not fix the obvious problems caused by this horrible patch. Still hope it's an 1st april joke.
3 Apr 2014, 21:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Apr 2014, 20:58 PMNapalm
Halp! I can't counter a KV8 with the following units;

Panzer IV
Panther V
Tiger
King Tiger
Brumbar
Pak-40

Cool reactionary reply - Just cos you can kill a unit doesn't mean its not OP. Im sorry but this tank has the speed of a panther, the armour of a tiger and the ability to wipe a retreating inf squad in a few seconds.

Who cares if your opponent can come up with ways to kill it. A single pz4 struggles to penetrate the armour let alone kill it - it can simply drive in and retreat out without fear.

There is no skill and no drawback to using it. People talk about brummbar but you need to tech for it and it no way is it an an effective infantry killer, its slow and cumbersome and reqiures smart micro to survive longer than a few minutes.

WIth high speed, high health, thick armour and completely ridiculous AI damage this thing is OP im sorry. Reduce at least one of those and it will start to be more balanced either that or a combination of some of those traits.

Even with half health and armour it would still be very useful, just no long be able to do lone tank rush that burns away half an army
3 Apr 2014, 21:27 PM

+1

If the KV-8 gets nerfed, the game will be dead. 100% / 0% and germans will still complain. Can't imagine relic to not fix the obvious problems caused by this horrible patch. Still hope it's an 1st april joke.

+1 True
3 Apr 2014, 21:39 PM

Cool reactionary reply - Just cos you can kill a unit doesn't mean its not OP. Im sorry but this tank has the speed of a panther, the armour of a tiger and the ability to wipe a retreating inf squad in a few seconds.

Who cares if your opponent can come up with ways to kill it. A single pz4 struggles to penetrate the armour let alone kill it - it can simply drive in and retreat out without fear.

There is no skill and no drawback to using it. People talk about brummbar but you need to tech for it and it no way is it an an effective infantry killer, its slow and cumbersome and reqiures smart micro to survive longer than a few minutes.

WIth high speed, high health, thick armour and completely ridiculous AI damage this thing is OP im sorry. Reduce at least one of those and it will start to be more balanced either that or a combination of some of those traits.

Even with half health and armour it would still be very useful, just no long be able to do lone tank rush that burns away half an army

The Tiger has more rear armor than the KV-8 has front armor, and the KV-8 moves slower than literally every tank the Germans have, except the Tiger non-blitzed and the Brumbar which it has equal speed to.
And German tanks/ AT infantry tend to have better penetration than Soviets overall. Add in the Stun abilities of German AT and teller mines, which overall makes the heavy armor easier to deal with for Germans than it is for Soviets to deal with heavy German armor.
3 Apr 2014, 21:57 PM

Permanently Banned
I think they have to make a more real AT, can shoot and break the chains of the tank, stop the engine and etc, but also have to be more vulnerable, AT with infantry never explodes, it does not have infantry they explode "magically" and easily, then why not along with the infantry being static?

The battles of tank's are hindered because of the problems with AT and magic at grenades and shereks, the poor damage of all weapons, mainly big guns (tanks)...

One match, i with a STUG, fire 6 times in the foot of the last conscript (and they dont die, my opponent are static)...

3 Apr 2014, 22:25 PM

+1

I would seriously quit. I dont often use the KV-8, as I use the speedy quadmount halftrack to do its job for me. But when AT piles up and the german infantry are numerous, i use it. Nerfing the KV-8? It indeed has plenty of weaknesses, such as its engine which will make the tank a massive target if it gets fausted/MINED.It also has TERRIBLE AT. I mainly will quit because it means relic has listened to the German players for nerfing a unit that isnt too much of a problem, meaning it has prioritized a unit adjustment for GERMANS when Soviets had a few issues with armor in terms of AT for some time now. The KV-8 can be ADJUSTED. All armor should be adjusted in the upcoming armor patch. But it has no need to be nerfed. That would be too much, and a blow to Soviet players' morale, destroying the glory of playing Russians altogether.
3 Apr 2014, 22:30 PM

There is no skill and no drawback to using it.

The risk of getting it is being countered by any piece of German armor except for a unit or two. The skill is not getting it killed by all of the above. This is the only Soviet unit that can counter PGREN Shrek blobs. The Panther has a speed of 5.5, a KV8 is 4.5. The KV8 matches the speed and acceleration of a Brummbar.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★