Login

russian armor

New patch, KV-8 still OP

3 Apr 2014, 12:56 PM

Hello everyone, some of you know it, manny of you will disagree of course, but in the middle of "Germans are OP" topics I'd like to add this one, because KV-8 still feels OP to me.
Please wach the replay SageOfTheSix vs Paul .ID and state your opinions. You will see at a moment a german base storming executed by a single unsuported KV-8, 2 PACKs and several german units down, some of them killed on retreat, german buildings burning in flames, and finally KV-8 whithdrowing while sustaining minimum damage after destroying by itself more than half of german units in game at that moment.

Talking about balance, I don't think this unit is balanced at all.
3 Apr 2014, 13:00 PM
3 Apr 2014, 13:12 PM

Tank balance is the next major patch. I don't know if it'll be on the same scale as infantry balance though. We'll have to see.
3 Apr 2014, 13:44 PM

Hello everyone, some of you know it, manny of you will disagree of course, but in the middle of "Germans are OP" topics I'd like to add this one, because KV-8 still feels OP to me.
Please wach the replay SageOfTheSix vs Paul .ID and state your opinions. You will see at a moment a german base storming executed by a single unsuported KV-8, 2 PACKs and several german units down, some of them killed on retreat, german buildings burning in flames, and finally KV-8 whithdrowing while sustaining minimum damage after destroying by itself more than half of german units in game at that moment.

Talking about balance, I don't think this unit is balanced at all.

I am no expert, but this replay doesn't show the KV-8 is OP. One of the ATs wasn't even in a position to shoot ( or moved to do that). The ATs weren't microed to stop it (and they are not great counters unless you are going to engine-crit the KV8), and he chose to take the time to build a T3 (it was already the 20 minute mark) and then a p4 instead of an instant Tiger.

The KV-8 was basically allowed to rampage through the rear area with no attempt to stop it except poor micro of the AT's. It isn't as if the KV-8 merely brushed off units designed to stop it. It never faced any.
3 Apr 2014, 13:53 PM

They should keep damage and armor but slow it down alot. Its to fast. I think its gonna get nerfed, lets hope they dont kill it.
3 Apr 2014, 14:03 PM

KV8 is one of the only ways Soviets can win games as you have no other way of doing much MP damage and will take plenty. Tiger arrives just after, and you can always just hide your infantry.

It's OP if there is another patch. It was OP last patch but no one cared because T34/85s were the strat du jour.

3 Apr 2014, 14:10 PM

It has poor AT potential. Who is gonna use it when they nerf AI capabilities. It would be just a waste of fuel.
3 Apr 2014, 14:15 PM

It is not op, you just need to learn to adapt and use the proper units the defeat it. How do you expect a lone unsupported or poorly support at gun to stop a tank?
3 Apr 2014, 14:23 PM

Use a tank against it and see how OP it is.

If you expect a single AT gun to take it out, get real, brummbar can do the same and doesn't have to close in.
3 Apr 2014, 14:32 PM
Donator 11

I've always thought the KV-8 was OP and yes I do use it, especially in this patch because it's one of the only valid strategies with Soviet right now.

But if they balance out infantries then yes, the KV-8 definitely needs to be adjusted again.
3 Apr 2014, 14:33 PM

Tank balance is the next major patch. I don't know if it'll be on the same scale as infantry balance though. We'll have to see.
This. Complaining about tank balance right now is pointless. If the armor patch is anything like the last one, everything is going to be urecognizable.
3 Apr 2014, 14:33 PM

Permanently Banned
Lol. Sovjet needs KV8 every game you face Tiger Ace Commander just so counter the fast veterenced blob of Grens with G43 or LMG. German can easily counter this with a Panther. It seems that the OP only plays one faction, so his perception is fatuous!

Also, you have to adapt to the new playstyle! The new patch nees a lot of adaption, so please don't open flame threads! :)

3 Apr 2014, 15:07 PM

yea, it's not OP it can just ignore a panther hitting it's rear while it's burning infantry. I've seen the thing running around unsupported and sometimes into enemies base, you can pretty much use it like an idiot and still get a lot of kills when RNG permits it.
3 Apr 2014, 16:05 PM

yea, it's not OP it can just ignore a panther hitting it's rear while it's burning infantry. I've seen the thing running around unsupported and sometimes into enemies base, you can pretty much use it like an idiot and still get a lot of kills when RNG permits it.

This.

"use a Panther" they say. By the time you "use a Panther" your army is charcoal. It usually hit the field when you have no serious counter (this including a PIV too).
How many times it frontal attacked several paks killing them and escaping? Countless. So it really doesn't matter how "good" you are using your paks.
Just get close with pzschrecks or pzfaust and that means squad wipe.
Only chance for soviets? Just... lol.

What german unit can enter unsupported in the soviet base, erasing half of soviet army and escape with minimal damage?

3 Apr 2014, 16:15 PM

This.

"use a Panther" they say. By the time you "use a Panther" your army is charcoal. It usually hit the field when you have no serious counter (this including a PIV too).
How many times it frontal attacked several paks killing them and escaping? Countless. So it really doesn't matter how "good" you are using your paks.
Just get close with pzschrecks or pzfaust and that means squad wipe.
Only chance for soviets? Just... lol.

What german unit can enter unsupported in the soviet base, erasing half of soviet army and escape with minimal damage?

The first sentence was sarcastic, I self contradict myself when I gave an example of the Panther scenario. I myself usually get a tank before they get a kv8 which depends on map control. What I'm really complaining about is that the thing can completely ignore the tanks while it's burning infantry. So it doesn't matter if I get a Panzer IV it's rounds will just bounce off no matter where I hit it. Relic really doesn't reward flanking.
3 Apr 2014, 16:30 PM

Permanently Banned
Honestly, stop crying, I've found the KV8 OP, if combined with a crazy spam AT, KV8 with fire, it is very difficult, but this is not the only fault KV8, they need to fix this game towards damage of weapons as gauge each, have bombs and bullets that are a joke, worse than Battlefield Ea Games for Childs!

Increase the damage of all weapons in order to approach a little bit of reality and still remains a game, but becoming more realistically, is what should be done ...

OP right now is the RNG's triggers...

It was almost forgetting, not because AT with infantry has never breaks it, but if not with infantry, you give a shot with the tank and kabuumm, the AT broke... Big problem in the game, what is? Is infantry in the AT or Angels? hehehe
3 Apr 2014, 16:40 PM

New patch, Panter still be OP, have too much speed, too good Vet 2, too good vet1 ability, only 145 fuel, undoctrinal and panzer smoke which in 1 combo with speed of this unit breaks balance of this game. And what i see - new patch and nothing changed.
Sorry but panter for me still be OP.
3 Apr 2014, 16:40 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Apr 2014, 16:40 PMNEVEC
New patch, Panter still be OP, have too much speed, too good Vet 2, too good vet1 ability, only 145 fuel, undoctrinal and panzer smoke which in 1 combo with speed of this unit breaks balance of this game. And what i see - new patch and nothing changed.
Sorry but panter for me still be OP.

relax guys, they said the would look into tanks in next patch.
3 Apr 2014, 16:43 PM

It usually hit the field when you have no serious counter (this including a PIV too).

9 CP, Tiger comes on 10, Panter usually early, maybe on 8 - 9. No counters you say?
If you lose mapcontrol, if you lose fuel and actually game you supposed to be f***ed, as the soviets supposed be f***ed by panter spam.
3 Apr 2014, 16:56 PM

It's another hard to balance thing. Nobody wants Sherman Croc 2.0, but right now it is pretty silly how it can easily pay for itself and more with a suicide run. It bounces even panther rounds a good percentage of the time and even if they all penetrate still takes on the order of >30s to kill due to high health, during which it can incinerate anything in its huge range in no time.

Minor stat issues aside, the only issue I have with it is how brainless it is to use. Absolutely anyone can pick up the game with no prior CoH experience and get 20+ infantry kills with it including squad wipes. There's no good positioning, there's no abilities to use, just click "move" into the area where you want all infantry to be vaporized and kick back.

Solving that part is a harder problem. Making it more vulnerable might fix because it's more likely to die before becoming cost effective and thus require more careful positioning / execution. Making it cost more might fix it as well though I think this would make it unlikely to ever be used due to timing windows.

My personal suggestion would be to examine the core of how it operates. Instead of just a massive flamethrower on top of massive armor what if any of the following:

flame damage was reduced by say 33-50% but it caused suppression in the area it was flaming or all around it?
- gives the tank a new role of infantry crowd control in another way than just raw dps
- fits better into a combined arms attack instead of lone base rush

the default armament was the main gun and it was an activated muni ability to activate the flamethrower for say 20-30 seconds with a minor cooldown?
- limit the window in which omgwtf dps is available, requires player thought and cost on when to use, less brainless
- probably requires mildly buffing the main gun to compensate

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment