Login

russian armor

Commander Abilities that might need another look

1 Apr 2014, 01:41 AM
Patrion 14

The recent change to radio intercept made me take another look at all the different commander abilities and their performance.

Panzer Tactician (release smoke, 30 Mu)
This ability seems to overperform for its cost due to the fact that it not only can save your tank in a lot of situations, it also counters the Guard's button ability (40 Mu).

Railway Artillery (200 Mu)
It seems to take a bit too long for the first shot to arrive.

Rapid Conscription (160 Mu, 120s, max 2 squads)
The ability seems overpriced. The return on investment for Rapid Conscription is 3 (2 squads recovered (2x240)/160).

Relief Infantry (120 Mu, 120s, max 3 squads)
With the current changes this ability, if contrasted to Rapid Conscription, seems to overperform or Rapid Conscription to be too expensive. The manpower return on investment for this ability is 5 (3 squads recovered (3x200)/120) or 3.33 (2 squads recovered).

Fear Propaganda Artillery (100 Mu, 30s)
It takes a tad too long to arrive. The cost might also be a bit too high since it basically does the same as incendiary artillery (120 Mu) without the damage. The AWT strafe is much more cost effective for 90 Mu. 90 Mu might be a good price for the ability.

AT Gun Ambush Tactics (also applies to pak vet 3)
In principle the ability is very useful however if one of the 2 soldiers operating the at-gun dies it can take very long for the next entity to man it again due to the slow movement speed. While the slow movement of the gun is a trade-off for its cloaking ability the recrew time shouldn't be. You can of course disable the cloak after the first shot but it unnecessarily increases the micro requirement. This might also be the reason why the ability seems underused by both factions.
Does anyone know what the bonus damage is with the cloak?

What are your thoughts?

(P.S.: Nice April Fools' joke with the comic font and avatars, Ami/coh2.org team :D. Can I have my old avatar back tomorrow? ;) )
1 Apr 2014, 02:07 AM

Everybody seems to use the same commanders for soviets: shock rifle and guard motor. The commander abilities shouldnt just be nice to use they should be buffed big so we get more diversity. Like rapid conscription, no one will use that commander if its municost goes down by say 20 muni. It maybe gets interesting if its cost is halfed. But no, I rather have the IS-2.

Buffing big the useless commanders would make not going for just call-in-tanks an option. If you got something from your commander that feels as strong as a call-in-tank.
1 Apr 2014, 02:50 AM

I think relief infantry and rapid conscription should be reworked.

100MP and 50 Fuel for 3 squads of Osttruppen* / Fresh Conscripts*?

*Doesn't help that Osttruppen are UP again.
*Not Conscripts, but a worse version of them.
1 Apr 2014, 02:53 AM
Patrion 14

I think relief infantry and rapid conscription should be reworked.

100MP and 50 Fuel for 3 squads of Osttruppen / Fresh Conscripts?

With the current teching cost, 50 fuel would be a really bad proposition. The main concept of trading munitions for manpower is good (we had that in vcoh too) the price of the ability just seems to be too high.
1 Apr 2014, 03:04 AM
Patrion 27

When using Zis cloak you can always uncloak when you take losses. After the first shot there's no point in keeping cloak toggled anyway.
1 Apr 2014, 03:20 AM

With the current teching cost, 50 fuel would be a really bad proposition. The main concept of trading munitions for manpower is good (we had that in vcoh too) the price of the ability just seems to be too high.

Well my logic was that they'd most likely be used in the late game, when you already have your armour but you're hurting for manpower and infantry. Reinforcement costs and ability usage means you won't have much Manpower or Munitions to spare, while Fuel just kinda sits there piling up because you don't have the combined Manpower to use it on more Tanks, or you don't need more Tanks. Hence you'd use "Relief Infantry" or "Rapid Conscription" to gain some extra units that you cannot otherwise afford due to needing Manpower and Munitions too urgently to save up.

If anything I think it would be too useful.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★