Login

russian armor

How to further improve coh2

13 Mar 2014, 16:35 PM

How many purely Ost / Sov players are there? I play both and I suspect most of the rest of us do too.

I play both but not nearly to the extent I play Soviet thats for sure. I am sure most are like me. They will break the cycle to play the other faction a bit but not 50/50 or even 70/30.

That would be my guess anyway.

And I would further venture to guess that alot stick to the same game mode as well and arent aware of the scale of magnitude issues. Such as having so much fuel in team games that certain units can be spammed and harder to counter then they would all alone.

My biggest opinion on how to make COH2 better and put 3v3 and 4v4 in balance would be to scale back what resources are worth in 2v2 and up. That way Soviets cant have unlimited Mines and Germans cant have countless armor losses.

Since most Agree 1v1 is pretty balanced and to a slightly less extent so is 2v2.
13 Mar 2014, 16:38 PM

How many purely Ost / Sov players are there? I play both and I suspect most of the rest of us do too.

+1
13 Mar 2014, 17:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Mar 2014, 14:33 PMKatitof

Not my experience.
However rnades don't have any huge AoE.

They are about the power of shock troop firecracker when it comes to AoE, so you need to score a perfect hit with them. This is the price you pay for huge range it have.

I wasnt specifically talking about rifle grenades.
13 Mar 2014, 17:40 PM

I've got a massive idea to help make the game more awesome in any other game mode than 1 v 1. Increase the amount of upkeep exponentially as more of the same armor units get created. Going to build 5 SU85's to counter the 7 Tigers? Well, that's going to cost ya some fuel. It would encourage combined arms rather than more of one unit blobs.

This outlandish idea brought to you by me.
13 Mar 2014, 17:53 PM

I wasnt specifically talking about rifle grenades.

Then I have no idea what you're talking about, guard nades, pgz nades, even assault nades are all fine, only assault nades being less consistent, but they wipe buildings clear so its fine as well.
Shock nades also trade aoe radious for better range and need pinpoint accuracy.
13 Mar 2014, 18:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Mar 2014, 17:53 PMKatitof

Then I have no idea what you're talking about, guard nades, pgz nades, even assault nades are all fine, only assault nades being less consistent, but they wipe buildings clear so its fine as well.
Shock nades also trade aoe radious for better range and need pinpoint accuracy.

Then you must either be extremely lucky or I am extremely unlucky, except for guard grenades (which i dont use that often) all of them are extremely inconsistent for me.

Perfect hit can either be no kills at all or a complete squad wipe. It happens all the time.

But Assault grenades are actually quite consistent: They almost never kill anybody :D
13 Mar 2014, 19:11 PM

Then you must either be extremely lucky or I am extremely unlucky, except for guard grenades (which i dont use that often) all of them are extremely inconsistent for me.

Perfect hit can either be no kills at all or a complete squad wipe. It happens all the time.

But Assault grenades are actually quite consistent: They almost never kill anybody :D

Grenades are probably the most consistent abilities in COH2. It's just that unlike other strategy games, a grenade doesn't do a fixed amount of damage to a targeted squad. If you have that expectation, it's wrong. Instead, it does a fixed amount of damage in and around a radius of where it lands.

Some nades, such as the rifle nade and shock trooper nade have very small AOEs. They are nevertheless consistent in that anything within that AOE will receive the damage it's supposed to.

There are probably other modifiers that affect the AOE such as cover and terrain deformation.

If you think you got a perfect hit and nothing died, load up the replay and look again. If you get visual proof of your claims, post them on the forums.
13 Mar 2014, 19:20 PM

make the UI scalable! observer mode! way more maps!
13 Mar 2014, 20:19 PM

i think people see grenades as inconsistent because the circle for aiming the ability is a bit misleading. the circle is quite large, but the area that will wipe squads is much smaller.

for rifle nades, the entire circle has a radius of 4, but the area that will guarantee a kill only has a radius of 1. heres a simple explanation of rifle nade AOE, which might clear things up.

distance from explosion:
0-1: 80 damage with 500% accuracy
1-2: 50 daamge with accuracy that decreases linearly from 280% down to 60%,
2-4: 20 damage with 60% accuracy

so just because an entity is inside the circle doesnt mean they have a chance of dieing. you need to aim with the center of the circle. some people try to fit as many entities in the circle as possible, even though theyre all near the edge of the circle. youre better off centering it on a couple entities instead
13 Mar 2014, 20:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Mar 2014, 20:19 PMwooof

i think people see grenades as inconsistent because the circle for aiming the ability is a bit misleading. the circle is quite large, but the area that will wipe squads is much smaller.

for rifle nades, the entire circle has a radius of 4, but the area that will guarantee a kill only has a radius of 1. heres a simple explanation of rifle nade AOE, which might clear things up.

distance from explosion:
0-1: 80 damage with 500% accuracy
1-2: 50 daamge with accuracy that decreases linearly from 280% down to 60%,
2-4: 20 damage with 60% accuracy

so just because an entity is inside the circle doesnt mean they have a chance of dieing. you need to aim with the center of the circle. some people try to fit as many entities in the circle as possible, even though theyre all near the edge of the circle. youre better off centering it on a couple entities instead

And that is why people think nades are inconsistent.
They expect them to evaporate everything within the circle.
Rarely anyone knows how AoE works in CoH2 and because of that we have also threads/posts about tanks hitting just next to entities and not killing them. People simply don't know the mechanics.

The above applies to basically all explosives.
13 Mar 2014, 21:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Mar 2014, 20:28 PMKatitof

The above applies to basically all explosives.

just to be clear, the same basic mechanics apply, but the damage and radiuses vary.
13 Mar 2014, 22:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Mar 2014, 21:40 PMwooof

just to be clear, the same basic mechanics apply, but the damage and radiuses vary.

Well, the radius part was obvious to me so I didn't mentioned it.
I'm not a stat digger as you are, but I'm knowledgeable enough to know how things work.
Detailed explaining isn't my strongest side, its where people like you can shine, but I can explain general basics.
14 Mar 2014, 00:34 AM

Molatovs: This is just a terrible idea, they need to change the way these do damage to make them more of a cover denail and not as a fight winner – its just a I win button for any inf engagement.

I don't see what your complaint about 'I win fight' molotov's is?

They are cheap and spammed because they are semi-useless against any infantry that can move and most often you will throw molotov 10 times on infantry without killing single model or 1-2 at best. (providing that opponent is semi-decent and moves out of molotov)

You do that to flush them out of cover primarily, and in doing so often lose number of models.

They are not performing very well as area denial either as 90% of time you don't even need to move mg42 from molotov, still only losing 1-2 models.
Sometimes you might have squad wipe, other times it will do absolutely no damage at all.

If you have problem with molotovs killing your infantry, make a medic bunker. The only times they are doing some damage is when units come to fight in pretty bad shape.

Molotov will most often do nothing to healthy squads

Mg42 that is supported is very hard bite for cons, and you have plenty of time to reposition with minimal loss of MP while dealing a lot more.

I agree with rest of your suggestions about crits / RNG / Armor etc

14 Mar 2014, 02:26 AM

everyone has brought in awesome feedback - I had a idea from another thread tat I want to share a global upgrade for the ost: 5 man combat pio upgrade, 5 men for weapon recrew and light inf support with slightly faster repair and muni salvege from wrecks. depending on the cost and which teir/ building u get it they can get a small combat buff or just keep it as the standard pio health and damage.
think of it as a non doctrinal lighr version of the assault gren
14 Mar 2014, 03:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Mar 2014, 22:25 PMKatitof

Well, the radius part was obvious to me so I didn't mentioned it.
I'm not a stat digger as you are, but I'm knowledgeable enough to know how things work.
Detailed explaining isn't my strongest side, its where people like you can shine, but I can explain general basics.

i know you know it. just trying to be clear for other people who might be reading.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★