Login

russian armor

Need help: Soviet start up builds

21 Feb 2014, 00:54 AM

We all know the normal boring spam scripts to high hell and honestly, I'm not into that type of gaming. So I'm writing this to learn a more varied start up build.

Sniper+guard: How many cons do you recruit before you go sniper guards and how soon do you get snipers?

Maxim support: build T2 right of the bat to get that maxim or should I go 2con-T2-maxim or should it be T2+con-con?

Shock charge: Is it better to just go with 3 cons before a shock squad or is it better to go 4 then shocks?

I've recently taken interest on the soviets and I'm want to mix things up.:)

I'd also appreciate some commander recommendations for the above mentioned start up. ALso, if you could provide a start-up not listed above, that would be really swell. Thanks in advance! This is for 1v1 btw.
21 Feb 2014, 01:31 AM

My personal favorite build for Soviets when I'm tired of con spam is Con-T2 right away-Maxim-Con-Maxim-Con. It's pretty good on maps like Langres and Kholodny where early cut-offs are very potent and can lead to devastating T70/T34 rushes. Early T2 allows you to get ZiS or mortar as well depending on how the German techs. Shocks can supplement your army if they go PGrens or PPSH can further cement your lead against heavy T1.
21 Feb 2014, 16:06 PM

Who need shocks now, cons with 3 PPSH can even roflroll over PG
21 Feb 2014, 16:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2014, 16:06 PMPorygon

You should copy-paste this in all treads in case someone has missed it.
Hux
24 Feb 2014, 21:02 PM
Patrion 14

You should copy-paste this in all treads in case someone has missed it.

ZING!
24 Feb 2014, 22:35 PM

Since patch I play very safe combined arms strat with t2 and guards, to skip concript upgrades completely and get fast t3. Usually what I build in first minutes is 1consripts-2maxims-mortar-2 guards or 1 guard and fuel cache to get m5 quad and t34 faster, then just run around with quad reinforcing my shit, and btw since patch quad upgrade became very decent, grens and pgrens die very fast even at max range, and eventually get supressed lol.
25 Feb 2014, 11:40 AM

When I'm tired of spamming cons I go - cons cons T1 sniper m3 Roks flamethrower and one more m3

After I have both clown cars ready I retreat my bleeding cons to base for heal up and roll both m3 at same time.
Usually any weapon team dies even before the player hits retreat button.

I use this tactics just to troll Germans so I can read their rage posts in chat and laugh. When I play seriously I open in classic way - cons cons molotovs cons cons medics mortar or ZiS-3 double SU76
25 Feb 2014, 12:02 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

I like to get three conscripts and then build T1 or T2 (depends on the map, mostly). I immediately send my combat engineer to cap two or three points. On a map like Kholodny or Langreskaya, the engineers can cap a few points and be in position to build a forward tier building in your HQ sector just as you get enough MP to place the building. After that, they go to their important duty of spamming mines everywhere.
I'm of the opinion that conscripts without PPShs suck for anything other than capping, recrewing team weapons, and throwing AT grenades.

Haven't played a lot of Soviet 1v1 recently, so your mileage may vary.
25 Feb 2014, 15:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2014, 16:06 PMPorygon

Why not both? ^^
27 Feb 2014, 03:06 AM

So basically the legitimate starts are:

Cons, Cons, T1, Sniper, M3, tech

Cons, Cons, Molotov, Cons, Cons, Medics, Cons, Cons, Cons, tech/use call ins.

Cons, T2, Cons, MG, Cons, MG, tech

Or some minor variation of this? I've only just come back to CoH and I'm trying to wrap my head around the starting builds at the moment. The only thing I'm having major issues with is the German weapon team combo's, 2 MG's, mortar/sniper + gren/CE, into a fast half track. I find it hard to dislodge him off cutoffs before I (typically) get a 120mm mortar out.

Any tips?
28 Feb 2014, 14:53 PM

The build i usually use is the following :

Con, Insta T1, Sniper, Con, Con, Molotovs or AT Nades (depends if you had the fuel advantage or not. However, AT Nades is the safe tech if youre unsure).

After 3 Cons, 1 Sniper, Molos and AT Nades i usually get 1 Guard and equip the Cons with PPSH. You can tech then and build a second sniper. While 1 Sniper already is very powerful, the double Sniper Strat can break the neck of the german infantry.

Its a very very powerful build but also a risky one. You need to play consistently well to get the SU85 fast enough. Youre otherwise fked. If you see your opponent going for a super fast Ostwind, get a second Guard and try to lure the Ostwind deep into your territory. AT Nade it and finish it with 2 Guards.

This is aimed towards advanced players. You should try to go for a 4 Con build or for Insta T2 (for a fast maxim) otherwise.

I love this build because it basically negates the german sniper, it bleeds the manpower really really hard and youre on the safe side in case a FHT suprises you.
28 Feb 2014, 19:52 PM

I see that cons spam is very popular and successful tactic. But I dont like to lose more units than I killed that's why Im using something different.
T2+Cons. Then 2x MG and depends on situation third MG/Mortar (if there are buildings around)/ZiS + thrid MG if I built Mortar/ZiS. At this time I should be able to call 2x Shocks. Meanwhile T3 is ready and Im waiting for T34/76. Usually I biuld 2-3x of them, wait until I reach 10 CP and call IS 2.
For 250h I used to play as germans so Im newbie as soviets and for some of you this tac may sounds funny but I really like it and it gives me advantage if MGs are properly placed.
28 Feb 2014, 22:09 PM

This is my Tier 1 (Special Rifle Command) opening
No matter what opening i always get 3 conscripts for capping power otherwise
you may get base pinned

After 3 cons I get molotv, tier 1, scout car, at nade when possible, penal battalion,
sniper, then 2 guards if using a guards commander and the 120mm mortar if using that commander or more conscripts for ppsh.
Later tier 4 either SU-76 or SU-85 depending on what you need.
The sniper comes as a counter to pgrens or even assault grens or simply bleeds
manpower.
Minesweeper on engineer and penal with flamer on scout car since german mine
play is now more viable, unless you prefer to get a second engineer with
minesweeper.Play around with the order of units see what works best for you

Commanders (names may not be accurate) for Tier 1:

Guards motor coordenation: guards, 120mm mortar, 2 t34\85 call in etc
Guards combined arms: Guards, ppsh, Hit the dirt, Howitzer etc
New Commander, Advanced Warfare: radio intercept, ppsh, sinlge T34\85 call in
and single air strafe

28 Feb 2014, 23:05 PM

My Tier 2 (Support Weapons) opening

3 cons, molotv, tier 2, at nade when possible, maxim, AT gun, mortar, tier 3, t-34\76, half-track.

Another opening, different order of units but with the t-70 potential if you rush tier 3.

3 cons, tier 2, AT gun use barrage to decrew\force retreat mg42, get maxim, mortar, moltv and at nade upgrade or just rush for tier 3, t-34\76 or t-70 if you did rush tier3, half-track.

No matter what opening, if I see a lot of infantry spam i will consider adding more maxims, if i see lots of armor add more AT-guns

Commanders (names may not be accurate) for Tier 2

Front-line Shock - shock troops, kv-8, IS-2, off-map fire artillery etc
New commander Advanced warfare- ppsh, Single T34\85, Single air strafe etc
The ISU-152 commander I only use for team games thinking of changing it for guards combined arms

The openings will suffer changes depending on what commander Im using, for front-line get 1 or 2 shock troops, after tier 3 go for IS-2 or Kv-8.
for advanced warfare get 1 or 2 more cons and upgrade all cons with ppsh and call in t-34\85 when possible and use the air strafe wisely.
If i do change for guards combined i will get 1 or 2 guards and get ppsh on cons

Be versatile use a strategie that can answer any threat, the units i put are what i believe to be the core of a tier 2 opening, at least 1 of each mortar, maxim, AT-gun (When I say AT-gun i mean the Zis or whatever its called)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★