Login

russian armor

Favourite Theater of War Mission

Only Relic postRelic 4 Feb 2014, 23:56 PM

We're trying to figure out what's next for CoH, and it would be handy for the designers to know which mission you've played you enjoyed the most. So please let us know.

What's your favourite Theater of War mission that you've played?

Why?

It would be great if people stuck to those 2 questions. We don't need suggestions like "Set it in Japan!" and "Add US!". We're not looking at those aspects, we're looking at what type of missions we made and what was the most popular.

Those are all great suggestions, but this thread is just to figure out what you liked in ToW.

If you didn't like ToW then that's cool, but this thread probably isn't for you.

Thanks to everyone who participates!
5 Feb 2014, 00:06 AM

my favorite was spring rasputista.

for one, i think it was the most difficult mission so far, but i also liked how it didnt feel like a normal game. most of the ToW missions are just a normal comp stomp. i think the interesting missions were the more unique ones
5 Feb 2014, 00:08 AM

The defending ones were by far my favorites - the soviet one was the best.
5 Feb 2014, 00:08 AM

Does it cost $3.99 to speak into this thread? Sorry not buying any ToW after I played all the Free ones, I was very disappointed in them.
5 Feb 2014, 00:10 AM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post4 Feb 2014, 23:56 PMNoun

"Set it in Japan!" and "Add US!". We're not looking at those aspects, we're looking at what type of missions we made and what was the most popular.

MVGAME

Assault on Voronezh or General Winter(maybe make it 2 (we) v 4(ai) Kappa)
both of them was easy as hell(Hard) you may enable the ExpertAi or make Advanced Ai or idk, but i will tie one of my hand back to be challanging. The all of the challange missions was ultra crap,idk what you should do but i dont like them. 41-42 Ai battles was crap too, only the southern fronts was good where you had pak43 or vica-versa.

and i dont playd with soviet 43 TOW.

edit: +1 for Noun, make more posts like this.
5 Feb 2014, 00:29 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

I played barbarossa and case blue and from them the tiger ace and schildkroterberg (defence) were by far my favourites.
5 Feb 2014, 00:42 AM

I really loved the Case Blue "Convoy" mission:

It was challenging but not frustrating. Albeit I managed to complete it on general on the first try I was actually satisfied after the match, because my plan apparently worked out. The whole theme of "take those units and just do the best you can with them" is great, since it combines a lot of the aspects which make CoH2 (or CoH in general) so great.
And yet it provided a significantly different experience than multiplayer usually does (which in my opinion is an important trait for a good ToW mission).

And hey: Preparing ambushes, laying down mines, using your environment to your advantage and exploring the map for potential goodies is always fun isnt it?

This was definitely the best mission for me.

However: I prefer Coop in general and just because of that Assault on Voronezh is a close 2nd. A cooperative match in which every player has its own role and a completely different experience is just great.

I do not own Victory at Stalingrad, nor Southern Fronts though. The main reason for this is that I'd primarily spend the money for the cooperative experience and found the AI battles rather lacking so far.

Edit: The ToW missions should really be harder on the highest difficulty. Its probably really hard to make a mission hard enough to be challenging but not frustrating at the same time but I had the feeling that i was playing at a normal difficulty setting and not the hardest one most of the time.
Except for Schildkrötenberg. To this day I havent managed to beat that one on General :D

...Im such a noob
5 Feb 2014, 01:22 AM

Permanently Banned

And hey: Preparing ambushes, laying down mines, using your environment to your advantage and exploring the map for potential goodies is always fun isnt it?

but on that mission eneugh if you plant mines on ice with all of your munitions,hide your army because the game will be over, then go watch a youtube video or go cook etc
5 Feb 2014, 01:29 AM
Senior Editor Badge

5 Feb 2014, 03:27 AM

I disliked almost all of them, frankly. Either the enemy was a complete pushover or was so silly it made me glare at my screen, wishing it would implode. Why, might I ask, is there all this hype about ToW? Other than penny-pinching.
5 Feb 2014, 03:35 AM

^^^ agreed. I did not enjoy the ToW missions that much. Some were pretty silly. The sniper one was "kind of" fun, but none of the original theatre of war content made me want to buy any of the others.
5 Feb 2014, 03:37 AM

so you're gathering opinions to get a better idea what to put into Kursk ToW?

If that's the case then, make it so that the Soviet player will have the ability to call in two free t34s every minute, the same kind of thing goes for conscript squads and AT guns, but the Soviet Player has to fight against waves of infantry, tanks and Tiger Aces for 25 minutes.

Then another mission where you get to control a tiger tank and a few panzer IVs and have to hold off waves and waves of t34s, t70s and infantry for 20 minutes.

And Another mission where you are attacking through battered German positions to make a break through with waves of tanks and infantry, resembling the Soviet Counter attack that pushed the Germans back.
5 Feb 2014, 05:45 AM

Just my frank opinion: I have to say that I have been loyal to the multiplayer since release, but I barely played the single player. I played a little of first story mission and I stopped, and then scrolled through the rest in youtube. Boring.

I sampled a few TOW missions and found them boring and a waste of time.

I find the comp stomp TOW to be amazingly boring overall, and frankly I am surprised that there are people who are buying the TOW DLC and playing it..

Even more commander and units would be more interesting than another TOW, IMO. Sorry for sounding rude here, but that's my actual opinion of things.
5 Feb 2014, 05:48 AM
Patrion 14

In the original CoH campaign you had two missions where you had 'X' minutes to prepare for an enemy assault. One was in a village. You could mine, wire, set up MGs and generally anticipate enemy routes into the battlefield.

When the enemy attacked it was brilliant - some of your plan worked like a dream and some of it went tits-up. I remember playing that a number of times and trying different tactics.

I like shaping the battlefield, and defensive sort of games allow you to do that. By shaping I don't mean simply building stuff, I mean the ability to use my resources to influence the way the enemy has to act.

CoH2 sort of lacks that (for me) and although I've enjoyed about 75% of the ToW content I've played this would make it even better.
5 Feb 2014, 06:51 AM

I enjoy most in schildkroterberg, the sniper one, case blue convoy and southern front fortress one (it is a bit short though).

Take a reference to the PE campaign mission 3, it is like called Hell Highway? and ToV wehr F.pocket?

We can have some StuGs, Pak43 or even Elefant vs a overwhelming Soviet Industry siege.
Since the ToW had reached 1943, the German should be defending the Fatherland, right?

and make it more challenging and crazy, no ToW mission is crazy hard enough to schildkroterberg level.
5 Feb 2014, 07:11 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

All TOW missions were like: easy, boring, easy, boring, easy...and then baaaaam Schildkroterberg. What a pain in the ass, but, finally a good challenge.
5 Feb 2014, 07:28 AM
Patrion 14

Can't remember the names on top of my head (and even if I did, I have a hard time picking a favorite) but overall I find most of them to easy. A select few, like shildkroteberg were very challenging and fun though. What I enjoyed about the tow missions. Coop with a theme. Not just coop ai battles. The changing vps on one of the maps are quite fun and assymetry on the assault on Voronezh is also interesting.
5 Feb 2014, 07:55 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

- A squad, It goes meeting more troops.
- Sniper vs all.
- A blob of troops without HQ, capture an enemy base.

Thanks.
5 Feb 2014, 08:30 AM

I've enjoyed the kinds of missions which aren't possible in a Comp Stomp or Multiplayer. The Vs AI stuff holds no interest to me, but things like Brody Tank War was great fun with a friend.
5 Feb 2014, 12:06 PM

Sorry for going a little bit off-topic with this but after someone else mentioned it:

Operation Stonewall from ToV and the last stand from DoW2 were great fun and actually gamemodes i played multiple times (unlike the ToW missions).

Holding your ground against waves of attackers with your friends (and a little gameplay twist to set it apart from regular comp stomp) is great fun.

Finding the middleground is important: It has to be unique, interesting and different from multiplayer/skirmish but still focus on the CoH gameplay we all love:
Panzerkrieg and Operation Sturm (or Assault, or whatever it was called) were too different and gimmicky

And if the next DLC is focused on Kursk: Do yourself a favor and design big maps, with lots of tanks. People will be disappointed if you give them smaller maps with fewer tanks, even if its entirely focused on tank combat.
Wide open maps with minefields acting as movement-blockers, some trenches here and there and just lots of tanks. A good way to reintroduce your great vehicle-criticals btw :P

And I just managed to beat Schildkrötenberg on General, so yay for me :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 37
Sweden 34
Poland 9
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L