Login

russian armor

how can i make my map look more realistic.

23 Jan 2014, 00:31 AM

Even after all the tutorials I've watched and read, every time I play my map it still doesn't feel right to me.

This is my first map and I made this map to try to make it look professional. Since this is my first attempt I'm not trying to make this map balanced nor am I focusing much on the gameplay issues, I just want to make it look good so I can proceed to making other maps.

My goal for this map is to make a good farm/village setting.

What can I do to the farm and crops to make it look and feel more realistic?

Does my village look ok?

Did I put enough detail in them?

Did I put enough detail into the forest in the middle?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=219713816
23 Jan 2014, 00:47 AM

DrunkinGambit made an amazing tutorial on detailing here...
http://www.coh2.org/guides/12949/introduction-to-map-detailing

as for opinions, post some screenshots please...
23 Jan 2014, 01:17 AM
23 Jan 2014, 14:07 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

One way is to reverse-engineer stock maps. Just take a look at how Relic does it and you should be able to copy. Even better would be learning it and then adjusting it to your own style. I'm sure you've got one already.
23 Jan 2014, 18:46 PM

is there any way i could see what relic's .sgb files so i can see what relic has done in the map editor?

valve had examples in the hammer editor that you could take a look around and see what they've done to their maps, i hope relic did the same thing.
24 Jan 2014, 05:08 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Save this as Extract_MPScenarios.bat to your CoH2 Installation folder:
Code
archive.exe -a CoH2\Archives\MPScenarios.sga -e CoH2\Data

and run it. It will extract all Multiplayer maps to CoH2/Data/Scenarios/Mp.
24 Jan 2014, 10:17 AM
Developer Relic Badge

I've meant to do this for a while! My mapping technique has had to evolve rapidly since COH1, so I've wanted to see these properly.

Cheers Janne, you never cease to impress!
24 Jan 2014, 14:24 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

There should be nothing new in this particular technique to get your hands on stock maps.
For example the very same tip is available in the WorldBuilder basic information thread - http://www.coh2.org/topic/10593/worldbuilder-basic-information-by-relic
24 Jan 2014, 19:07 PM

so many splats and splines just overlapping over each other.

thanks Janne252 :D
24 Jan 2014, 19:13 PM
Honorary Member Badge

thats true, but let me tell you, don't use more than 2-3 splats overlapping at the very same spot. Think twice which of those splats you need before you place them. ... with 4 splats on top of each other the lowest one is hardly visible, but it will hit performance badly.
As a tradeoff we're now allowed to use 6-7 tiles per chunk, as opposed to 3 in COH1.
24 Jan 2014, 19:21 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

thats true, but let me tell you, don't use more than 2-3 splats overlapping at the very same spot. Think twice which of those splats you need before you place them. ... with 4 splats on top of each other the lowest one is hardly visible, but it will hit performance badly.
As a tradeoff we're now allowed to use 6-7 tiles per chunk, as opposed to 3 in COH1.

Is there any way to check if your map has any performance problems? And what does have the biggest impact: objects, splines or splats?
24 Jan 2014, 22:18 PM
Honorary Member Badge

the memory stats feature is still broken as far as i know. so it comes down to experience....

The biggest impact on performance is water, afaik. The more different watersources you have the bigger the performance drain, because for every water surface the reflections are calculated individually.

For textures you have to find a sweetspot regarding tile splat and spline usage. if you push one to the limit you have to use less of the others. dont stack too many of them on top of each other. keep tiles per chunk at a minimum, if possible.

this kind of thinking
25 Jan 2014, 20:41 PM

The limit is even higher: 8 per chunk
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS