Login

russian armor

Is the STUG truly useless??

• This thread is locked
PAGES (3)down
19 Jan 2014, 02:47 AM

In all the time ive played this game I find myself hovering over the Stug build order button but I just cant bring myself to push it.

Does anyone actually have any success using the stug?

What is the cost comparison to the su85 because u sure as hell would love to be able to build one of those bad boys.

It just feels that Soviet has quite a few more early armour opportunities.

Maybe i need to...wait for it....Learn to play :)
19 Jan 2014, 02:57 AM

I never use it, P4 or bust! lol
19 Jan 2014, 03:00 AM

It's a superb support tank now. P4-Stug-Stug is pretty powerful against Soviet T3. No Soviet wants to ram a Stug, and target weak point can turn the tide in an even battle.

In 1v1 I mean. In 2v2 and up Stugs are too weak to stand up to the amount of damage on the field.
19 Jan 2014, 03:10 AM

LOL he is mad because he lost games with me doing the combo P4 Comand tank + stug + PG
19 Jan 2014, 04:51 AM

I actually use stugs if I am forced to go T3. The stugs are much more effective than p4s at destroying armor but are poor AI (cheaper, fast fire rate, better pen than p4, 50 range, and it eventually gets stun).

They are best in pairs and can hold their own against SU-85s on a cost basis. A pair can also maul KV-1s (while KV-1s maul P4s) This is the key reason I like stugs, as they can destroy SUs and heavy armor better than P4s. However, stugs need infantry support to deal with conscripts w/ at nades and Zis guns.

The ideal place to use a pair of stugs is on the defensive and in an obvious place like where you need to hold such as the middle of the map.
19 Jan 2014, 05:48 AM
Developer Relic Badge

One of the things that's made me use less stugs is because of the target weak point bug(I think it's still there) where it targets the ground instead of the vehicle. Still alright using it vs IS-2s due to their size, but against moving T-34s I don't even try whereas before, using that ability on a moving T-34 often meant its doom.

I hope that make target weakpoint the way it was because it's quite pricey. I still don't understand why they increased its target size back to normal. It didn't take much to kill the stug, even with its smaller size and I didn't notice it that much, but it did help.
19 Jan 2014, 06:48 AM

Fun fact: T34 penetrate StuG frontal armour more often than not.

Imo it depends on your strategy. If you can support your StuG it may be worth it. Else... Not so much.

(Also the StuG III E is quite nice when you manage to mass it (>3).
19 Jan 2014, 06:53 AM

Stug is awsome if used right. An su 85 will beat a stug but not by much. Stug is also a very decent infanty killer and once you get vet on it you get the target weak point which will freeze an enemy tank. The Unit is very good but also hard to manage, you just need to practice using it effectively and once you start getting good at that you will find its actually a very nice unit.
19 Jan 2014, 07:01 AM

STUG is better than the P4 in frontal armor and Pen. If i dont go T4 ill go STUG with Pgrens dor AI if its a Guards doctrine.
19 Jan 2014, 07:09 AM
Honorary Member Badge

STUG is better than the P4 in frontal armor and Pen. If i dont go T4 ill go STUG with Pgrens dor AI if its a Guards doctrine.

The StuG has the same frontal armor as the P-4.
19 Jan 2014, 08:41 AM

19 Jan 2014, 09:13 AM

Stug is awsome if used right. An su 85 will beat a stug but not by much. Stug is also a very decent infanty killer and once you get vet on it you get the target weak point which will freeze an enemy tank. The Unit is very good but also hard to manage, you just need to practice using it effectively and once you start getting good at that you will find its actually a very nice unit.

This. If your opponent is just pumping out T34s; a supported Stug will eat them up.
19 Jan 2014, 09:59 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jan 2014, 09:13 AMENm!Ty

This. If your opponent is just pumping out T34s; a supported Stug will eat them up.

P4 still does it better . and better yet still the p4 can be used in every single situation. in fact i find it a bit strange people consider the stug to be the tier 3 killer because its actually very vulnerable to fast medium tanks like the t-34.

Right now the stug's only worth is that it can destroy the kv1's but that's about it.
Current meta involves calling in heavy tanks at 9 cp mark. that's around tier 3 and so skip it and go straight for tiger's or the p4 support tank+ elefant
19 Jan 2014, 10:52 AM

The Stug is very good but also very situational i.e. the P4 is a much better choice usually as it can annihilate infantry as well as being useful as anti-tank.

As a few people have mentioned the Stug is good against T3 units. For example Soviet players will usually get 2 T34's in quick succession so getting a Stug out first supported by a Pak is more than enough to deal with them (as long as you position them correctly).

Once it gets stun shot it becomes excellent - have it hiding in the back and use your other armor pieces to flank and finish off whatever you have stunned. On that note it is also very good against KV-8's and IS2's as the P4's have a hard time reliably penetrating them
19 Jan 2014, 10:55 AM

One of the things that's made me use less stugs is because of the target weak point bug(I think it's still there) where it targets the ground instead of the vehicle

AFIAK the bug only concerns the Pak..? Seems to work fine on the Stug for me
19 Jan 2014, 11:24 AM

I do not really see why one would pick the stug over the at-gun?!
The pak is cheaper, maybe even sturdier and does pretty much the same job.
Yes the Stug a little more mobile and has some AI potential but then again I'd rather save up for a p4.
19 Jan 2014, 11:26 AM
Honorary Member Badge

it has an ability that is pretty darn good :D
19 Jan 2014, 11:48 AM

Stug REALLY NEED BURF
when it's mark-targeted, it is destroyed by t34-85's 2shot
it is a ww2's symbolic armoured unit like sherman, Pz4, Tiger, T-34

BUT it's expensive than t34!
(T34 is multi-talented unit but stug is TANK DESTROYER!)

and too easily destroyed by T34-85, Su85 and IS-2, ISU-152

stug's hitpoint is 480 it is too low i think 640 is right

Stug should be more cheaper or need range and hitpoint burf

19 Jan 2014, 12:02 PM

The StuG has the same frontal armor as the P-4.

Did not know this. Not sure I'm too happy about it either :P
19 Jan 2014, 12:14 PM

The stug doesn't really shine on its own. I stopped building p4s because they are only okish at anything. Stugs suck at ai and they are better than p4 as anti tank but only if you can keep them in an advantageous position. I wont attack tanks with them unless disabled by faust/mines, have more than one or I have vet 1 ability. Once the vet 1 comes into play it can really do some damage. Even vs heavies you can shock them, get off a few shots then retreat. And if you get followed, once the ability recharges, do it again. Vs su 85s though they can be tricky unless you absolutely have vet.But overall it sucks.It was nerfed into mediocrity from it's beta glory, so I don't see them ever buffing it again.
PAGES (3)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS