Login

russian armor

How to deal with pay2win "commanders"?

29 Dec 2013, 19:45 PM

Hello all

Me and 3 of my friends have bought COH2 a month ago. We are all Coh1 veterans so that we wanted to continue with the new game. We actually liked it at the beginning but nowadays we are hating the game and thinking to uninstall beacuse of these paid-commanders.

Last game we played, the enemy brought in units with 3 stars by default and a single 3 star panther took out 2 of my su 85s alone at the same time.

In another case we faced 5 tigers in a 3v3 game 2 of which are tiger aces.

In all the games like these, its us who win the early game and cap the enemy out completely. But we cant deal with the units or perks that come with special commanders.

I dont know why COH2 is like this but its a shame to turn this game into "world of tanks" just for ripping 14yo boys who just want to win.

Anyway, I'd like to know if you have tips to counter paid-commander perks. Especially against the german ones.
29 Dec 2013, 20:09 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

Dont buy them whatever you do. I suggest getting used to it until Relic fixes it or just play something else.
29 Dec 2013, 20:31 PM

We just wanted to play germans this time

Now we faced smt called soviet industry doctrine. We ended up against 5 t34s in 7m mark.

We just quit this game. Doesnt worth playing really. Just another version of World of tanks.
30 Dec 2013, 05:37 AM

Buy those commanders => get your ass kicked => stop complaining :P

also do not play 4v4 and don't take 3v3 seriously, the game is just not balanced for it. And I think it would be very difficult to achieve balance for both small and big teams.
30 Dec 2013, 07:09 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Some of us play 3v3 and 4v4 for the same reasons that leet 1v1 players don't
30 Dec 2013, 15:35 PM

It is funny that Ostheer pay2win doctrine still need some skills but Soviet industry can give the crappy player free fuel and instant spawn the tanks they want.

Once I had a Soviet player totally cut off, but two T-34 come out from nowhere breaking my barricade.
Luckily he blob his crap into a teller. :p
30 Dec 2013, 23:34 PM

Although I don't agree to charging for commanders, the "pay to win"-argument is completely invalid. I've purchased every commander available and I can assure you that each commander has upsides and downsides. In fact, my current line-up of Soviet commanders, consists out of three original ones.

One of the biggest complaints is the Tiger Ace. Yes it is a strong unit, completely vetted. But it also completely halts resource income for ten minutes. Using it, is a huge gamble. If you ever face a Tiger Ace: kill its support, who won't be able to reinforce. Nobody has enough resources floating around to keep on reinforcing everything for ten straight minutes.

I don't have enough experience with Soviet Industry myself (on neither side), but from what I can tell reading this forum, it isn't OP at all. In fact, good use of AT can really close this one early for the opponent.

In my opinion, the best new commander is the one that let's you drop in 50 resources (fuel or ammo) in exchange for 200MP. That allows the German player to really rush in a P4 quickly.

In short: the new commanders offer a series of new strategies and tactics to work with and to defend against, but none of them are a golden ticket to a victory.
1 Jan 2014, 10:02 AM
Patrion 14

As with everything you need to learn the weakness of each commander to know how to counter them. That said, playing against the right combination of commanders in teamgames can really be difficult. As Hmortier said, I think the luftwaffe commander is more of a trouble than elite troops when in the hands of compentent players.
1 Jan 2014, 14:43 PM

I agree with the idea that 3v3, 4v4 are not balanced at all and also agree that i must learn more to cope with enemy strategies, regardless of their pay2tactis.

And also i dont think my pay2win argument is invalid. If every tactic has its own cons and pros, then why some of them are charged and rest is free?
2 Jan 2014, 22:35 PM

Because games run on money. We get regular updates and support for COH2 which is not free for those who do it.

Support the developers you like.
It sucks that there are people who cant afford it :( but it does not change the facts. Also, the players have for a while been calling for more colorful commanders with less overlap... we got it :P
3 Jan 2014, 00:27 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

If your answer to a loss is: "pay2win, I quit." then you will certainly not enjoy the game. I agree that the state of some premium DLC commanders is a bit stronger than they should be, I don't feel like they are unbeatable in the slightest.

If playing as Soviet, Elite Troops with its Tiger Ace is most definitely a challenge, if not an outright pain in the ass. Aside from the Tiger Ace, the doctrine is not that OP. Vetting costs fuel, and you should take advantage of your enemies reduced fuel reserves if they have vetted a lot of infantry. If they go vet crazy and vet 5 squads, that is 100 fuel, and like 275 MP. You should note when Vet squads come out early, and know that it delays T2, and Tanks. It is difficult to kill the vet squads, but try and force your opponent to retreat and reinforce squads. Snipers, Maxims, Shocks all do well. If you manage to kill a vet squad, the investment is lost. Mine the flank of your SU85 so the Panther cant circle around. If your opponent went T4 for Panthers, AND gave it vet 3, they have a HUGE investment into 1 unit. If you kill it, take advantage and push them off the map.

If playing as German, Soviet Industry is the only doctrine that you really need to worry about. In 1v1 you win by punishing his infantry early and forcing him to reinforce or lose the whole map. The same is true in 2v2, 3v3, etc. I use Industry a lot in team games, and I manage to field a T70 by 4:30m in 3v3, and closer to 6m in 2v2. If you expect industry, save your munis for shreks. Don't over-invest in T1, don't get a Pak right away. Industry is crippled if you take out the early T70. A good player using industry will try and harass you, and bide time while amassing tanks. If they get overzealous with their first few tanks and you manage to kill them, they will be hurting.

That said, the #1 thing you can do to improve is DO NOT THROW AWAY UNITS. Why fight a battle you can't win? If the enemy has overwhelming force, you will surely lose if you fight 1v3, 1v2 and half your army gets obliterated, and the other half needs to be reinforced.

Bonus tip: If 3 squads are engaging 3 squads, tell your squads to focus fire one enemy squad. If you force a retreat, suddenly you have superior numbers. This works especially well against the two commanders I mentioned, because manpower is at a premium.
3 Jan 2014, 04:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Jan 2014, 22:35 PMstichy
Because games run on money. We get regular updates and support for COH2 which is not free for those who do it.

Support the developers you like.
It sucks that there are people who cant afford it :( but it does not change the facts. Also, the players have for a while been calling for more colorful commanders with less overlap... we got it :P

I dont think so.

Games run on money, so we pay it and buy the game. Then they keep releasing overpowered dlcs that create difference in gameplay. especially if u are not experienced enough.

Now that is not so innocent.
3 Jan 2014, 08:57 AM
Patrion 14

DLC is overpriced, yes. I even think they will actually make more money by lowering their prices. Money keeps the company and game running, and this is one of the new "industry standards" to make money. About OP commanders being released, alot of the new pay-commanders have been quite underwhelming. For soviet alot of the best commanders are even free. For your statement to hold truth most of the paid commanders would be more powerfull than free ones. Ofc there is no doubt that if there is 1 commander that gives an edge, ppl will buy that one and relic knows it. I buy content to support the developers. I have 520+ hours invested in the game. The cost/hour of fun is still low even if I spent alot of money.
4 Jan 2014, 13:43 PM

The first batch of DLC commanders got their price halved when the second batch arrived. I wouldn't be surprised if Relic decides to make them free after a period of time. People who are willing to pay for the commanders, will have done so after a while and making them free to play will give them some much needed PR.
4 Jan 2014, 17:43 PM

ITT: People who do not know what Pay2Win is.

DLC Commanders are definitively Pay2Win. If you're going to try and make the distinction between "Pay4Advantage" and "Pay2Win" you might as well try tell me the difference between getting violently raped and "it's just the tip".

Steps to check if it's pay2win.

1. Can you pay for it?

2. Can you unlock it without money?

3. Does it provide options that non-paying players do not have?

4. Do any of these options provide any kind of advantage in any kind of situation?

If;

1 = Yes

2 = No

3 = Yes

4 = Yes

Your game is pay2win. Easy.
4 Jan 2014, 22:54 PM

As long as paying commanders are beatable by non-paying commanders, it is not pay2win ;)
6 Jan 2014, 10:48 AM

As long as paying commanders are beatable by non-paying commanders, it is not pay2win ;)

Not accurate in the slightest.
6 Jan 2014, 13:12 PM

Not accurate in the slightest.

Then our definitions vary. Either way, none of the new commanders is a golden ticket to victory. Granted, the Elite Troops Doctrine does require early planning to handle well, but in my opinion, the doctrine that comes closest to OP (not OP, but closest) is the Luftwaffe Supply Doctrine. You can drop in 50 fuel at 3CP for 200mp, get P4s quicker (or get T2 vehicle without delaying P4 production) and in end game (when pop cap is reached) you can convert that floating manpower in ammo and use the commander abilities as pleased (drop in health, recon plane, incendiary bombs and 50kg bomb).

This being said, I do think it was a dick move from Relic to let us pay for online commanders, only skins, mission packs etc. should be charged for.
6 Jan 2014, 15:04 PM

ITT: People who do not know what Pay2Win is.

DLC Commanders are definitively Pay2Win. If you're going to try and make the distinction between "Pay4Advantage" and "Pay2Win" you might as well try tell me the difference between getting violently raped and "it's just the tip".

Steps to check if it's pay2win.

1. Can you pay for it?

2. Can you unlock it without money?

3. Does it provide options that non-paying players do not have?

4. Do any of these options provide any kind of advantage in any kind of situation?

If;

1 = Yes

2 = No

3 = Yes

4 = Yes

Your game is pay2win. Easy.

+1
7 Jan 2014, 20:53 PM

I want more DLC commanders, lots more. Let's fill those squares up fast.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★