Login

russian armor

Predictions for announcement from Noun during SNF

10 Dec 2013, 10:48 AM

In that respect you are absolutely right.

It didn't make the release date, that is all. Mud was probably in a close-to-releasable state when the game was launched. The sound files related to mud was removed but they missed one cruical comment: the grenadier sound when you order a grenadier to move to/over heavy snow. "Better than moving through their mud, I hate that"

/Conspiracy
10 Dec 2013, 11:52 AM

Permanently Banned
Cold/Mud tech is ok in theory.

But the negative effects are too emphasised. They are so severe in some cases that they start to interfere with actual gameplay.

My suggestions:
-Reduce the movement penalty in deep snow (does it also affect vehicles?)
-Reduce the penalty on retreat through deep snow (pathing is often retarded, and deep snow just makes this worse)
-Increase the time to freezing (currently its barely enough to make it to an adjacent sector. I understand that as a cool original limitation on advances during Blizzards, but its too stringent atm)
-Reduce the freezing multiplier in deep snow. (Standing in deep snow is tantamount to suicide)
-Increase LoS in Blizzard. (Cool effect, but too pronounced)
-Reduce Blizzard duration. (Again, cool strategic interlude, but too long)
-I dont know exacly what the rate of fire penalties are when Cold, but those too, should probably be reduced.

Cold/Mud tech can diversify the game, its just simply that the magnitude of the negative effects are too great and pronounced, to the point where they overshadow real gameplay.

These are simple adjustments I propose, and I dont think anyone would be against them.

Just reduce the negative effects. Thats all. Simple.

Edited to add: Some people have been expecting flame to remove snow, or vehicles to pack deep snow. Though Inagree those would be cool, and that Relic possibly did originally hint at something like that, I think there are some very difficult coding issues involved on those. Id be happy with the changes I listed above. No need to remove deep snow, just reduce its negative effects to where they are noticeable but not crippling.
10 Dec 2013, 12:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Dec 2013, 10:25 AMNoun

- -Dev Mode (for modders and artists)
- Steamworks integration for custom maps vastly expanding the potential map list (for custom games) and the ability for map makers to get their work to a larger audience
- Balance Updates
- 10 Theater of War missions
- Reduced Input Lag
- CoH beta (already announced prior to the SNF but still relevant)
- Increased security for in-game client (closing a potential exploit)
- Bug fixes including mine cancellation
- replay feature updates (adding the ability to see all player resources and other data)
- Mud Tech
- 2 new maps including Hill 331 a well liked CoH map
- AI improvements
- Improved game invites

Good changes, but currently the game consists in a bunch of Elite Troops commanders playing against a bunch of Soviet Industry commanders.
The game is in its worst state since launch, as playing it is terribly boring, doesn't matter which side you choose.

I suppose that Relic is not interested in changing that because each Noob commander used in the game is more cash in their pockets. So well, congrats for the incoming patch, those features seems great, but still the game is boring and predictable and it will be till Relic fix the mess they did with the last commanders.

Btw, I highly doubt the Theater of War missions will be free... If they aren't, they should be properly indicated in the list.
Hux
10 Dec 2013, 13:36 PM
Patrion 14

I think he was just rounding up what will be included - free or otherwise...

Anyway, I agree with Nullist's ideas about reducing the impact deep snow has on gameplay. I actually like it (although not retreating through it) but I think it could be brought more into line with adding a more gameplay friendly dynamic than simply being a more historically-oriented ballache as it is now.

In regard to the update. Input lag is a + and so is being able to cancel mines.

10 Dec 2013, 13:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Dec 2013, 13:36 PMHux
I think he was just rounding up what will be included - free or otherwise...

Is for that that I'm amazed to see it as if it was a new feature for everyone.

10 Dec 2013, 14:15 PM
Donator 33

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Dec 2013, 12:52 PMGreeb

Btw, I highly doubt the Theater of War missions will be free... If they aren't, they should be properly indicated in the list.

They will not be free afaik, since they are visible on steam with 10% off (saw via reddit).
Hux
10 Dec 2013, 15:15 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Dec 2013, 13:48 PMGreeb

Is for that that I'm amazed to see it as if it was a new feature for everyone.

Jeez man, give it a rest, Inverse said that already. Noun is just telling you that Mud is included in the next update. If he didn't, you'd be wondering why he didn't mention it, hell we all would.

And Yes, we all know that it's just snow coloured brown, I'm sure Noun is aware of this himself. Which is why in his post he didnt call it new, he said:

Some of what you'll see tomorrow (or later today rather):

He didn't call anything new, he didn't tapdance around with a big sign saying N3W STUFF!!1 and he didn't bring us a twitch update via the medium of interpetive dance. He just said mud will be included.

On a side note, the additional mechanic to spring maps will be new so hey, at least we got something New ;)

I New we'd get something... But mud!? well, who new?
2 of 4 Relic postsRelic 10 Dec 2013, 15:35 PM

To clarify the Theater of War content is not free but paid. It's the only paid content in the update.
10 Dec 2013, 15:36 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

- Reduced Input Lag

w000t! I was actually afraid to ask this in the case that you might have said no. Really glad these improvements are being pushed to live. :thumb:
10 Dec 2013, 15:50 PM

I wouldnt be too optimistic about the input lag change.

Relic wrote "Fixed input lag" in a patch months ago, which didnt change anything for a lot of people.

The fact that they only "reduced" input lag this time around makes me very sceptical. I of course hope that Im wrong...
10 Dec 2013, 15:50 PM
Donator 11

w000t! I was actually afraid to ask this in the case that you might have said no. Really glad these improvements are being pushed to live. :thumb:

nice! good news!

now remove the 2 latest commanders and stop adding some and I'll buy all DLC to support you guys except for commanders.
10 Dec 2013, 15:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Dec 2013, 15:35 PMNoun
To clarify the Theater of War content is not free but paid. It's the only paid content in the update.

Thx for the clarification.

Steamworks, input lag and dev mode really are great improvements to the game.

Sadly, I think that balance changes done to Soviet Industry and Elite Troops are insufficient (That's it if the changes we know right now are the actual ones on the patch).

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Dec 2013, 15:50 PMZ3r07

now remove the 2 latest commanders and stop adding some and I'll buy all DLC to support you guys except for commanders.

I'm of the same opinion.
I don't have anything against singleplayer or estethic DLCs, but multiplayer advantages for money are against my gamer convictions.
10 Dec 2013, 16:01 PM

Thxs 4 not adding new commanders!
Sounds like they might have listened and changed their business plan.

Mud & input lag really sound nice!

All things considered a step into the right direction.
10 Dec 2013, 17:12 PM

I wouldnt be too optimistic about the input lag change.
Relic wrote "Fixed input lag" in a patch months ago, which didnt change anything for a lot of people.

That is NOT what they said. They wrote that they fixed a 1 frame delay in input. That is not the same. This tie around, they aren't saying the same either: They are saying "reduced input lag".

Mud and snow are not bad, but they really need some excellent work by level designers to truly shine, especially if the effects are so big. In vCoH, water and roads were generally undesirable environmental factors, but they were subtle (yet important).

Heavy snow/Mud should not show up in more than one or two areas of a map, MAX.

P.S.: I know the eastern front was covered in mud, and I know there was heavy snow everywhere. There was also starvation, but we are not about to implement that, are we? There are degrees of abstraction here.
3 of 4 Relic postsRelic 10 Dec 2013, 18:25 PM
10 Dec 2013, 18:42 PM
Patrion 26

There was also starvation, but we are not about to implement that, are we? There are degrees of abstraction here.

Excellent idea.. Relic should make a commander with "Starvation" ability which will starve enemy troops if they are not near the HQ or a half-track.
4 of 4 Relic postsRelic 10 Dec 2013, 18:58 PM

From a design perspective starvation doesn't fit into the setting of the game. That sort of attrition would be better reflected over a long period of time, whereas the CoH series focuses on specific battles that in the real world would last a few hours or maybe days.

We don't have the larger meta game where starvation would make sense.

In another context a game like FIFA or NHL has players age and retire (in career modes) but they don't do that in the middle of the football/hockey match.

Freezing to death however can happen in a much briefer time than starvation, or other attrition effects like mechanical failures or tanks running out of gas.
10 Dec 2013, 19:01 PM
Patrion 14

Best update yet. Thanks relic.:)
10 Dec 2013, 19:16 PM

its still pay 2 win, I'm gone.
10 Dec 2013, 19:19 PM
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Dec 2013, 15:50 PMZ3r07

nice! good news!

okay where is my money ?! ;)

but good news :)
PAGES (7)down
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment