Login

russian armor

The Community: Main reason why the game is "Unblanced"

29 Nov 2013, 17:27 PM
Coder Red Badge

I agree, which is why I separated design from balance. If a game isn't fun, it doesn't matter if it's balanced, and you need a lot of people to find it fun. I would just rather play a game developed by a team that uses professional play to balance the game, even if the professional community doesn't always agree with those changes. At least they're using those top-level games to make decisions.
1 of 3 Relic postsRelic 29 Nov 2013, 17:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Nov 2013, 09:56 AMVolo
Not a single unit in this game has not been bitched about, If one PERSON in the community was to say a "flame pio" is OP just because someone got lucky with RNG and wiped a whole squad, everyone would make threads about it until it got nerfed.

I think this is the case for all game communities, especially those with a competitive or multiplayer element. Ultimately the feedback in the aggregate is useful. Not every post is, but if lots of people are posting about one unit it ensures we take another look at it.

We listen to both the top tier players and more casual fans, because ultimately the game is designed for both groups. Top players, typically those who are in tournaments or at the top of the leaderboards, tend to know the game better than more casual fans and can give a different type of feedback. But that doesn't mean we should ignore other fans.

I'm not sure if Blizzard specifically has side-conversations with the top tier SC players, but I'm sure they're monitoring their feedback and I'm also sure that they are aware of what their casual fans are saying.

I know that's the case on EA SPORTS' titles, though they're not quite the same in terms of competitive esports.

In terms of what's wrong with CoH 2 and blaming that on the community? I don't agree. I think that you over-estimate the herd mentality of the community. I think if someone started saying that the Pios w/flamerthrower were too OP and were taking out tanks, people would mock them.

However it could be what's wrong with the game to you. As Miley Cyrus famously said, "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." If you don't like the community then that could ruin the game for you. There's some FPS games that I won't play multiplayer because of the community, and so I've stopped buying as many FPS games.

In terms of whether the community makes the game better or worse, I think it only makes it better. When we fail, and we have failed at times in the history of the franchise, that's on us. When we succeed it's because we've had really great support from our fans.
29 Nov 2013, 17:50 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Miley Cyrus commander DLC confirmed.
2 of 3 Relic postsRelic 29 Nov 2013, 17:55 PM

Miley Cyrus commander DLC confirmed.

That would be expensive to get her likeness rights, but maybe a Twearking Doctrine Commander.
29 Nov 2013, 18:01 PM

Thanks noun, great post. Really restores my hope that coh2 will one day become a game that fuels my addiction like the previous iterations. After disparaging remarks from other devs about coh2 org elitist, I was resigned to not adding to the 500+ dollar tab I've spent on the coh series. I understand that hardwork was put into coh2 and people being critical of that effort can be upsetting, but pulling out a dagger and pointing it at your customers is always a business no-no.
3 of 3 Relic postsRelic 29 Nov 2013, 18:21 PM

After disparaging remarks from other devs about coh2 org elitist, I was resigned to not adding to the 500+ dollar tab I've spent on the coh series. I understand that hardwork was put into coh2 and people being critical of that effort can be upsetting, but pulling out a dagger and pointing it at your customers is always a business no-no.

I think there's probably some context lacking from that, and some mischaracterization happening at some point. Probably just a misunderstanding, but that's not how anyone here feels.
29 Nov 2013, 18:24 PM
Donator 33

Thanks noun, great post. [...] After disparaging remarks from other devs about coh2 org elitist, I was resigned to not adding to the 500+ dollar tab I've spent on the coh series.

Who said that and when?
29 Nov 2013, 18:33 PM
Developer Relic Badge

So your whole statement is based on assumption rather than actually knowing the process the balance teams at valve, riot and blizzard implements?

I have to support inverse here, he may have not the proof but I do, riot actually called Pro players to their HQ to discuss the changes for season 4 of League of legends, I haven't found any official statement but it was all over reddit.

Hope this is enough for you :http://dt.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/1owx6v/krepo_and_xpecial_secret_mission/
29 Nov 2013, 18:50 PM
Patrion 26

I still think if we add more DLC commanders the game will succeed =)
Money=Support=Resources
29 Nov 2013, 18:50 PM

I don't understand why this topic was even made. It's not even a debatable fact. In this current form of the game, buying the DLC will increase your winning % REGARDLESS of skill. Therefore, the game is imbalanced. IT has 0 to do with the community other than the fact that Relic feels like it has to converse with it in order to sell more broken crap.

29 Nov 2013, 19:02 PM
Patrion 26

I don't understand why this topic was even made. It's not even a debatable fact. In this current form of the game, buying the DLC will increase your winning % REGARDLESS of skill. Therefore, the game is imbalanced. IT has 0 to do with the community other than the fact that Relic feels like it has to converse with it in order to sell more broken crap.

This is a lie and you know it. I bought DLC but my winstreak didnt go up ( I guess DLC`s don`t guarantee you a win if you don`t move the units.)
29 Nov 2013, 19:20 PM

I find this whole thread to be quite amusing, however totally broken. Playing the blame game and pointing fingers will not resolve any problems, simple as that.
29 Nov 2013, 19:21 PM

This thread is a great example IMO of what can make a community turn bad. For every conciliatory post there is 3 flame post for it.

People just need to realize that if this was a face too face conversation you would react totally differently but because there is a computer screen, you can just say all you want without respecting social interaction codes of conduct.

Most forums system end up being either heavy handed moderation or not moderated at all.
29 Nov 2013, 20:12 PM

This thread is a great example IMO of what can make a community turn bad. For every conciliatory post there is 3 flame post for it.

i'm sorry to put this up to you and totally unrelated to the tread but

1) there has been no flaming post in here. a person expressing its unhappiness with the state of the game is not a flamer, a person stating its in satisfaction with the product is not a flamer. most opinions expressed on this tread specifically i have seen as well behaved.

2) for every good post there are 3 bad post pretty much references the state of the game in the eyes of the consumers. this tread is a small sample to make the assumption the game is bad. for that you would have to take the whole forum and if its not big enough other coh2 related communities.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now about the tread topic i would have to say i do agree. people here are more eager to spew shit on certain units before asking for strategies to counter them. i can say and i affirm this community is filled with Whiny people.

i wish i could get my money back.
29 Nov 2013, 21:08 PM

[...]
Some text.
[...]

i wish i could get my money back.

Hullo! My reply was pretty much a compliment to the post above by VanIvan. It will be hard to create a balanced game if people don't remove the blame game or the finger pointing...

Now you may believe all reply in this forum (and this specific thread) where all done in civilized forms and are totally acceptable in a mature conversation then we probably won't ever be close friends! (Except over beer, pretzel and Football)

Which is completely fine, there needs to be different kind of people in the world to make a world.

----

I personally love the CoH serie, the new commander are a bit OP (mind you I haven't all the experience all of you dogs of war probly have) but I do love how you need to think on your counters. LOL has had the P2Win system for ages now (nerf bat is strong after 2 week after a release) and is still one of the most played games out there.

IMO --> DOW < COH < DOW2 < COH2

Each of the games as an improvement over the generic RTS genre. None are perfect, balance as always been an issue, at least in COH2 you only have two sides with variance compared to games like SINS:Rebellion where you have 3 sides with 2 sub and a gazillion overlapping AoE.

I don't think the game is broken but it needs some more polishing, all in all balance is and will always be hard to achieve.

As far as whining game breaking the game, I doubt. Balancer and dev usually love their game and will try to bring it to the optimal point, should the economy and time be available. (Life being what it is)

But as you agree with me in the end... (totally confused) Yes this whining makes the forum information diluted and the more relevant post harder to find.

I found out most strategy request post turn into unit bashing and stats comparison, I don't even know where to find my stats... (no need to point it out) I end up looking at replays and various pro games with comments.

Then I'll quickly read the forum having been intelligently informed by many someones explaining why X,Y,Z (in context, with bulletin, etc.).

Cheers
29 Nov 2013, 21:23 PM
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Nov 2013, 18:33 PMDevM

I have to support inverse here, he may have not the proof but I do, riot actually called Pro players to their HQ to discuss the changes for season 4 of League of legends, I haven't found any official statement but it was all over reddit.

Hope this is enough for you :http://dt.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/1owx6v/krepo_and_xpecial_secret_mission/

That's very familiar to what another company did a few months ago. I wonder why that didn't work out?
30 Nov 2013, 11:40 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Nov 2013, 17:31 PMNoun

However it could be what's wrong with the game to you.

So if the shoe doesn't fit, it's my feet that's something wrong with?

I think Cinderella is the only one who would ever agree with that approach.

As for the discussion about communities, I think the verdict on gr.org is a bit harsh.

At least if I think more years back, I rememebr a more tolerant forum. There was the usual fanboy crowds ofc, but it was not a hostile place.

However, after having taken a break for about a year in 2011, I returned to ask some questions and it was a completely different reception. The spirit had changed a lot and hostility was felt - even from mods....and between mods.

So if you are referring to the later period of gr.org, I understand what you are getting at, but it would be unfair IMO to label the enitre time of gr.org as bad.
30 Nov 2013, 13:27 PM

Ill keep this short, simple and sweet.

Main problem is, when something is considered "OP" with the community, everyone will jump on the band wagon and follow the Sheppard like the good sheep they are, they will play one game, get owned, and blame it on a particular unit. It's not the balance, its your ability to adapt to new shit..
and besides, when you do ask relic to nerf something.. you bitch and moan a couple of weeks later when its gone.. stfu.

Not a single unit in this game has not been bitched about, If one PERSON in the community was to say a "flame pio" is OP just because someone got lucky with RNG and wiped a whole squad, everyone would make threads about it until it got nerfed.

Ok but what is your point? I think trying to listen to everyones complaints is a bad way to fix things, but if overall the game was not worse in most ways to the original people would not be complaining about everything.

30 Nov 2013, 13:52 PM

Hullo! My reply was pretty much a compliment to the post above by VanIvan. It will be hard to create a balanced game if people don't remove the blame game or the finger pointing...

Now you may believe all reply in this forum (and this specific thread) where all done in civilized forms and are totally acceptable in a mature conversation then we probably won't ever be close friends! (Except over beer, pretzel and Football)

Which is completely fine, there needs to be different kind of people in the world to make a world.

i specifically stated the replies in this tread. if you find one to be of the flaming nature please point it to me i might have missed it. else i can just assume you are a person that cant handle criticism. and yes i suppose we cant be friends i never liked people that cant handle critics.

now i dont say criticism dont hurt but its part of the growing up process and handling it is a skill people should have.
----

I personally love the CoH serie, the new commander are a bit OP (mind you I haven't all the experience all of you dogs of war probly have) but I do love how you need to think on your counters. LOL has had the P2Win system for ages now (nerf bat is strong after 2 week after a release) and is still one of the most played games out there.

IMO --> DOW < COH < DOW2 < COH2

excusing the P2W model just because other companies are doing it does not make it right. relic and riot are both wrong in this case.

its like saying its ok to harass sexually because you know there are rapist in the streets and i'm not a rapist.

I don't think the game is broken but it needs some more polishing, all in all balance is and will always be hard to achieve.

the game is not broken, but the polish will be impossible to achieve with the games as service mechanic and the commanders production line they have in place.

As far as whining game breaking the game, I doubt. Balancer and dev usually love their game and will try to bring it to the optimal point, should the economy and time be available. (Life being what it is)

wich means they prioritize money over product quality, talk about loving your work.

But as you agree with me in the end... (totally confused) Yes this whining makes the forum information diluted and the more relevant post harder to find.

I found out most strategy request post turn into unit bashing and stats comparison, I don't even know where to find my stats... (no need to point it out) I end up looking at replays and various pro games with comments.

Then I'll quickly read the forum having been intelligently informed by many someones explaining why X,Y,Z (in context, with bulletin, etc.).

i agree with parts of your post not all of it.
raw
1 Dec 2013, 12:50 PM

Ill keep this short, simple and sweet.

Main problem is, when something is considered "OP" with the community, everyone will jump on the band wagon and follow the Sheppard like the good sheep they are, they will play one game, get owned, and blame it on a particular unit. It's not the balance, its your ability to adapt to new shit..
and besides, when you do ask relic to nerf something.. you bitch and moan a couple of weeks later when its gone.. stfu.

It's a non-issue anyway, relic (hopefully) is collecting statistics to quantify their balance decisions. Over time the people being "right" about balance will float to the top.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★