Login

russian armor

Your thought on wehrmarcht 1vs1

26 Apr 2023, 10:41 AM

I don't feel like the faction is still one sided between T2 and T3, you play a complete different game depending on your selection.

1- Grenadier are in a weird spot at the moment, they perform well vs rifles and sections but if your opponent simply decided to spam engineers there is little you can do early game, they cost 60 manpower less and no building requirement and can too easily push you off cover. Imo it is a problem for unit that cost much less, have utilities and free unlocked upgrades that perform so well vs mainline infantry.

I don't think it is a problem of grenadier because if you test it in cheatmod those engineers would also regularly beat riflemen and section in many situations.

And same goes for Pathfinder who's also only cost 200 manpower and can stand just fine vs grenadier even at mid to close range.

2- 222 need an xp requirement decrease, it that way too much to vet it and the unit has 0 AI upgrade aside from it.

3- T2 vs T3, I think Jaeger are still too good but at the same time they are what make werhmartch still working. On the other and Pazergrenadier are trash for their price, you need to micro them a lot to get benefice from them, at vet0 they don't do much vs un-upgunned riflemen while costing more and once upgrades arrive for rifle or section they're matched in their range. Problem is you have less of them, they cost more and you don't have elite infantry around because they're supposed to be elite.

And it is not that if you micro them well you'll get more reward from Panzergrenadier, they don't bring anything on the table you really want.

So I feel like there is no T3, the stug may be good but if you can't have infantry working around what it is good for? The 221 is interesting but Allied faction have access to light vehicle that can negate it quite easily. Remains the pak38 but here again Jaeger mobility with a shreck is better suited than a pak where in really you need to rely on mines to do the job.

What's your though?
26 Apr 2023, 14:57 PM

I actually like PGs, but I rarely play 1v1. In teamgames, I usually start with MG+2 grens into T3, converting Grens to PGs and also getting veteran officer. With Vet1 and exp boots PGs are really solid.

Wehr do have strong units, mainly Flak, Stug, Nebel, MG and Schreck jagers. But at the same time it feels like Wehr units hit ceiling super early, forcing you into a 5head combined arms play, in order to even hold your ground. While concept is interesting, its not fun microwing 5+ units, while enemy is basically might be playing full inf.

And as a matter of fact, Wehr is kinda supposed to be "dat late game faction", while imo Wehr lategame is the weakest out of all faction, even including commanders. So I myself usually play T2+T3 wehr, ignoring T4, because investing 130 fuel into a tier where you would realistically only get P4 is pointless, especially because it can be hard-countered with 1 hand. Better to spam cheaper StuGs and make full use of both T2\T3. Especially because it cost you 115 fuel to get both tiers at full capacity.

Wehr loosing badly in late game against USF rifle build, ones USF player start getting upgrades, same with armor build, your armor is weaker then 76mm\E8 or Hellcats. And units like Maders\Stugs are pretty much can be countered by chaffee.

Against UKF, lategame is a bit more manageable, but early game UKF is dominating Wehr, with one saving grase being MG. Lategame UKF either can get anti-everything guards or 17 pounder to deny your armor play. On top of that Crusaders are trading with P4s despite being 30 fuel cheaper.

And on a side note:
1) Pios are the worst unit in the game. Literally, it would have been better if your starting unit was ketten. At least they should have had either combat package to make them viable inf or flamethrower should at give them 4th model.
2) 221 is a fun but ultimately useless unit. Its expensive and almost useless against inf. AT upgrade is good, but you dont have a turret, on top of that its a super glass cannon. Also the shitty pathing doesn't help, considering you basically have to kite like crazy.
3) Stummel is garbage.
4) Marder ... ok I guess, but its more of a emergency AT imo.
5) Wilberwind, fine, but its damage output is super slow and utility is lacking, UKF AA crusader\USF AA HT are much better.
6) Stosstruppen. Idk why would you even want them, their impact is questionable.
7) Brummbar is fine, but I rarely find myself even needing it. But I guess Bulldozer suffers from the same problem.
8) P4 the most expensive medium, yet have an equal ground only with crusaders\stock shermans.
26 Apr 2023, 19:35 PM

And on a side note:
1) Pios are the worst unit in the game. Literally, it would have been better if your starting unit was ketten. At least they should have had either combat package to make them viable inf or flamethrower should at give them 4th model.

I get why this might be an issue in 1v1, because it's not efficient to constantly tie two squads together, but in larger gamemodes, haven't you been using grenadiers to perform the soviet tactic of merging into pios to keep them on the field?

When I played 3s and 4s, I felt that it worked quite well.
26 Apr 2023, 21:39 PM

For me wehr's 1v1 and 2v2 is a LOT better that DAK's counterpart.

U struggle a little bit at the start, but your mid/late game is superior.
Pios are garbage, grens are ok-ish after patch but still lacking that offensive potential (but still better than DAK pgrens since you do not need to pay that much for unsuccesful engagement), HMG42 is nuts, mortar is non-existent (who builds a mortar except USF?) and sniper is OP being sniper.
Really strong tier now is Pgren companie in every game mode imo, all 251 variants are good, stummel got a good buff, pgrens are very good inf, StugIII is solid, nebel is fine.
Stossies are nice since the only squad they should fear is bren gurkhas (G-d, I hate bren gurkhas)
PIV is meh, but it can do as support for Paks to deal with medium spam until Panther hits the field.
For me with USF motorised and UKF Indian infantry/BP meta the only existing battlegroup is mechanised, since it gives me old CoH2 panther+brummbar combo.
Stalling for tiger might be okay, but this is only 1 unit and battlegroup itself offers less other useful abilities.
Luftwaffe gives you significant boost in early game especially against USF, but late game in current meta is nearly non-existent.
In team games everything is fine with wehr since all your allies need from you is HMG, nebel until DAK gets their stuka and ocasionally some support against HMG in early game. But to maximize impact, again, mechanised has the best arty call-in in the game.
So, in conclusion, If somebody would offer me which faction to play, I would pick allies prefer wehr over DAK any time, on any map in any gamemode.
26 Apr 2023, 21:44 PM

I get why this might be an issue in 1v1, because it's not efficient to constantly tie two squads together, but in larger gamemodes, haven't you been using grenadiers to perform the soviet tactic of merging into pios to keep them on the field?

When I played 3s and 4s, I felt that it worked quite well.

Merge works in case when you need to keep your flamer alive no matter what, but its on itself brings a lot of other problems.

Plus, I'm not sure about survivability stats on both units. Just from playing the game it does feels like Pios are in general significantly easier to kill then any other engi unit, but it might be subjective. What is not subjective is the fact that, being 3 model chances of same model being focused fire is much higher, lowering over-all staying power.

On top of that, merging into them is not even cost effective. In CoH2 combat engis cost was 21 per model, and cons were 20, so by merging you was not only staying in combat but saving 1 MP per model. In CoH3 by merging you lose 2MP, since grens cost 22MP and Pios 20.
27 Apr 2023, 12:26 PM

I did a lot merging grenadier into pio but they are too squishy to be much relevant, it's a constant bleed.
29 Apr 2023, 08:02 AM

For me wehr's 1v1 and 2v2 is a LOT better that DAK's counterpart.

Honestly I fail to see how wehr is better in this patch with how busted USF is.

Wehr literally have no inf answer to Bar rifles, besides PGs, which on themself cant keep up with bars in terms of quantity\economy bleed. So US player wins in a long run, especially considering all the insane discounts USF gets from inf support company.

Nor Wehr have any proper answer to mass E8 spam, besides trying to turtle behind AT gun wall and shitton of mines infront.

As dak, your early PGs suck balls, but you always can pick up bersas or go full sturmpios+ass.grens and counter rifle blobs with 8rad\stug and sherman\crusader spam with cheap marder spam or even 88.

As wehr on the other hand you have 0 options, because your P4 cant do jack shit it goes toe to toe with stock sherman and either looses to everything else or being out numbered, stugs are not even that cost effective and super clunky to use, wehr marders are garbage and if you schreck blob you are equally will be fked by rifles.

It just feels like you have to do 5head play, with AT gun ambushes, mines, insane MG micro and if you fail you lose in a blink of an eye to a much dumber strate forward play.

29 Apr 2023, 10:22 AM

We went from Mussolini-sponsored balance on release to Patton-sponsored balance in the current patch. Nobody can joke about Relic preferring one side over the other.
29 Apr 2023, 23:29 PM

Honestly I fail to see how wehr is better in this patch with how busted USF is.

Wehr literally have no inf answer to Bar rifles, besides PGs, which on themself cant keep up with bars in terms of quantity\economy bleed. So US player wins in a long run, especially considering all the insane discounts USF gets from inf support company.

Nor Wehr have any proper answer to mass E8 spam, besides trying to turtle behind AT gun wall and shitton of mines infront.

As dak, your early PGs suck balls, but you always can pick up bersas or go full sturmpios+ass.grens and counter rifle blobs with 8rad\stug and sherman\crusader spam with cheap marder spam or even 88.

As wehr on the other hand you have 0 options, because your P4 cant do jack shit it goes toe to toe with stock sherman and either looses to everything else or being out numbered, stugs are not even that cost effective and super clunky to use, wehr marders are garbage and if you schreck blob you are equally will be fked by rifles.

It just feels like you have to do 5head play, with AT gun ambushes, mines, insane MG micro and if you fail you lose in a blink of an eye to a much dumber strate forward play.

Well, let me be honest, my axis winrate in 1v1 is much worse than as allies, but:
Pretty much mecha abuse is a reason why I stick with wehr.
I can get 8rad for 3 CP, I get pak earlier and it has better vet1 (imo) which is always avalaible after research.
I get Stug G, which is almost all-rounder, I get rocket arty for MP without fuel investment (and again, earlier)
And I get call-in panther against call-in ez8, so late game problem is solved easier than trying to defend myself with marders.
And even if I go for mediums, I get PIV, not this joke of a "medium" pIIIL, which is even worse after tungsten nerf.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★