Login

russian armor

Company of Heroes 3 Modding guide

18 Mar 2023, 09:47 AM

Hello everybody, I made this a few days ago from my experience of modding CoH3 -

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2946936025

I wanted to share it and hopefully get some feedback like what I can improve, some more ideas/suggestions on what to add and also perhaps maybe some help with information about map making and the game modes since I'd like to expand it there as well for those interested in the subject matter.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day, cheers.
28 Apr 2023, 05:42 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Nice guide, thanks for sharing!
28 Apr 2023, 10:39 AM

Someone called you Chief in the comments, so you know its good! Thanks!

THE MORE YOU KNOW PSA with Donkey Rosbone
Textures/Images in video games are usually a power of 2. This is done to speed up drawing repeating patterns using a boolean AND function to reset the pattern. Computers work in BINARY. Which is a number system based on 2.

Example to draw a repeating 8 pixel texture:
Normal way to increment and repeat a pattern:
Xpos = Xpos + 1
if (7 < Xpos) Xpos = 0

Faster way to do it:
Xpos = (Xpos + 1) AND 7

The Inner Loop
Both ways create a pattern of:
01234567 01234567 01234567 01234567

But the AND version is faster to do on a microprocessor. And this code is run more than any other code when drawing graphics. So any tiny improvement in speed is huge because this will be done millions of times per frame of video.

To render a texture to the screen there are several nested for/loops used and this is the one that is inside all the others, gets run the most, and is known as the inner loop. The faster your inner loop, the faster your game will render.

When 3D graphics first appeared this was necessary to get graphics to run smooth on a CPU based rendering engine. With modern video cards (GPU) doing the work on multiple dedicated pipelined processors, the power of 2 limit is not necessarily needed any more for speed. But still a requirement most of the time.

I hope some of that made sense. Since I am clearly insane, it probably did not.
28 Apr 2023, 11:17 AM

Nice guide, thanks for sharing!

No worries, feedback would be appreciated.

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Apr 2023, 10:39 AMRosbone
Someone called you Chief in the comments, so you know its good! Thanks!

THE MORE YOU KNOW PSA with Donkey Rosbone
Textures/Images in video games are usually a power of 2. This is done to speed up drawing repeating patterns using a boolean AND function to reset the pattern. Computers work in BINARY. Which is a number system based on 2.

Example to draw a repeating 8 pixel texture:
Normal way to increment and repeat a pattern:
Xpos = Xpos + 1
if (7 < Xpos) Xpos = 0

Faster way to do it:
Xpos = (Xpos + 1) AND 7

The Inner Loop
Both ways create a pattern of:
01234567 01234567 01234567 01234567

But the AND version is faster to do on a microprocessor. And this code is run more than any other code when drawing graphics. So any tiny improvement in speed is huge because this will be done millions of times per frame of video.

To render a texture to the screen there are several nested for/loops used and this is the one that is inside all the others, gets run the most, and is known as the inner loop. The faster your inner loop, the faster your game will render.

When 3D graphics first appeared this was necessary to get graphics to run smooth on a CPU based rendering engine. With modern video cards (GPU) doing the work on multiple dedicated pipelined processors, the power of 2 limit is not necessarily needed any more for speed. But still a requirement most of the time.

I hope some of that made sense. Since I am clearly insane, it probably did not.

And thank you for your explanation but I was more hoping for something concerning CoH3's modding and/or the guide itself.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS