Login

russian armor

COH3 feedback from COH1 fan and veteran

14 Jan 2023, 15:57 PM

After playing all factions I am a bit more optimistic towards this game and the biggest improvement is that they almost took nothing from that disaster COH2.

However a few balance feedbacks and design notes:

1. All teams should have sniper.

2. Do not plan for any "DLC" pay to win commander, I am seeing M26 pershing and Firefly and Kingtiger, Jagdpanther and other iconic units are missing in this game and I am guessing it is reserved to be DLC later? :( Don't do that!

3. Popcap should be like COH1, it should be related to the amount of controlled sections. For a game that has capture system, giving 100 right at start is a mistake.

4. Infantry combat is much much better and closer to COH1 than COH2. COH2 was garbage in every aspect including the very random infantry fights with sudden wipes from one mortar hit on full HP.

5. Tank battles are good but I like to see more diversity in tanks specially for axis as they don't even have an option to build a panther but to call in one.

6. Removal of "Spam" encouraging tactics is great! There is no longer "LT Bonus or area bonus" like in Opposing fronts and COH2.

7. Base building is back <444>3 Thank you!

8. UI is absolutely horrible and it needs to be reworked to either COH1 or COH2 UI.

9. COH2 had cartoonish graphics but this one has even more cartoonish graphics and it seriously needs some gore and improvement. How is it possible all the amazing details of Coh1 graphcis are faded away? :(

10. Capturing system is back to COH1 and each sector gives different resource which is amazing! But it is better to let the capture mechanism also work as in COH1 that the capturing unit receives 2x damage and has less combat efficiency.

11. Limit the howitzer units to doctrines, less howitzer basic units provide much better gameplay. One of the main issues with COH2 is that almost every faction specially allies have a mobile artillery unit non doctrinal.

12. No mobile bunker units! Please just no more bren carrier with infantry inside and flamethrowers or halftrucks with infantry firing from the inside. This was one of the main issues with Opposing fronts factions and it continues in COH2 specially for allies. Mobile bunker units destroy the "Flanking" tactics and just award lame tactics.

Overall I was very negative about this game after what I saw from Relic and COH2 fiasco. If the UI and graphics are gonna get reworked + NO DLC COMMANDER SYSTEM, you have my money!
14 Jan 2023, 17:22 PM

10. Capturing system is back to COH1 and each sector gives different resource which is amazing! But it is better to let the capture mechanism also work as in COH1 that the capturing unit receives 2x damage and has less combat efficiency.

I can agree with most of your post.

But large team games usually end with all teams throwing infantry on the last VP as tank and arty rain down on it. Having units super weak could make the game either go on forever or give a massive boost if there are ways to cap without exposing infantry.

Having units be weak also encourages camping on important points. You could end up with stalemates where every point has a squad form each team sitting near it protecting it.

Curious how this plays out in Coh1. The only place this seems decent is maybe 1v1s. But it would destroy team game modes.
17 Jan 2023, 07:02 AM

A
3. Popcap should be like COH1, it should be related to the amount of controlled sections. For a game that has capture system, giving 100 right at start is a mistake.

Jfc no. I cannot believe anyone actually likes this about CoH1.
18 Jan 2023, 09:34 AM

1. No, however everyone should have a hardcounter for it.
2. You don't see them, because the game is set in early war, 1939-1942, not 1945, like CoH2 was.
3. No, that was a bad system that further punished losing player and prevented him from making a comeback or even reinforcing troops if he had larger army.
5. Why tho? Again, early war, Panzer 3s and StuGs + light meme armor was all that Germany had and used, hell I'm surprised Panther even is in the game.
6. You mean blobbing and it will still be here, its a staple of really any RTS.
7. Always was?
8. Matter of opinion really, I find infantry portraits a lil bit silly after CoH2 ones, but miles better then CoH1 ones.
9. That is because you use for coh2 and coh3 the exact same GPU you played CoH1 on, if you had relevant hardware and correct glasses for your eyesight, you'd see the graphics are perfectly fine.
11. Why? They already are much less potent then in CoH2 and you have a lot more counters to them as well.
12. The only vehicle capable of this has paper mesh armor and will be murdered by basic engineers.
18 Jan 2023, 10:06 AM

Got a source for that? It focusses on early war units yes, but its like all coh games representing rather the entire timeline of the war.

If it was as you said we wouldnt have panthers, wirbelwinds, black prince and more.

That said, I like that these kind of units are mostly battlegroup bound.

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jan 2023, 09:34 AMKatitof

2. You don't see them, because the game is set in early war, 1939-1942, not 1945, like CoH2 was.

Now refering to OP:
- Please dont give all factions snipers. I would prefer there wouldnt be any snipers but oh well.

- Territory based pop cap sounds like a huge snowball effect, I didnt play coh1 online but given how coh3 is already so fast paced, this would reinforce the punishment of one bad early game engagment. Coh3 so far feels very punishing to play and this would be legit worse imo.

- Axis tank variety is bigger than the allied side from my initial experience, this post in general sounds very monotone when considering that there are 4 factions.

- Given how prevalent the availability is with static defence for each faction give the non-doc howitzer units a definite purpose in the game. You simply dont have the time to get at guns in position and slowly work through the bunkers, pits and flaks due to the fast VP tick rate.

- Clown cars are a tough one, on one hand its a nice game mechanic but on the other side in the right hand it can be quite punishing. I am undecided on that.

Edit:
- Please leave out super heavy tanks. Its quite refreshing to have mostly medium tanks as your armored fighting force. It quite refreshing and makes it more micro intesive in late game.
18 Jan 2023, 18:02 PM
Senior Caster Badge

4. Infantry combat is much much better and closer to COH1 than COH2. COH2 was garbage in every aspect including the very random infantry fights with sudden wipes from one mortar hit on full HP.

!

Really? The Infantry Combat is just hilariously bad and not engaging.
18 Jan 2023, 22:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jan 2023, 18:02 PMd0ggY

Really? The Infantry Combat is just hilariously bad and not engaging.

How?
It literally is improved coh2 combat, but without TTK of FPS games and squads evaporating in a blink.
18 Jan 2023, 22:23 PM
Senior Caster Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jan 2023, 22:12 PMKatitof

How?
It literally is improved coh2 combat, but without TTK of FPS games and squads evaporating in a blink.

One way to see it. But i rather have the exact thing you are describing there. :)
18 Jan 2023, 23:11 PM

Infantry is vastly better then coh1 and coh 2.
20 Jan 2023, 15:04 PM

After your first paragraph I understand why I don't have any hype for this game, I simply stopped with Coh1 after coh2 arrived, and I tried coh3 for a couple of hours and I really don't like it, the colors, the units, the pace, almost everything. Resuming, if coh3 is aiming the Coh1 players, I'm keeping with coh2 till coh4.
20 Jan 2023, 19:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jan 2023, 22:23 PMd0ggY

One way to see it. But i rather have the exact thing you are describing there. :)

Maybe if squads vetted like mad, like in CoH2.
CoH3, seeing a vet3 is going to be rarity, I wouldn't want to lose it, because I was busy avoiding nade in another place.
21 Jan 2023, 11:09 AM
Senior Caster Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jan 2023, 19:39 PMKatitof

Maybe if squads vetted like mad, like in CoH2.
CoH3, seeing a vet3 is going to be rarity, I wouldn't want to lose it, because I was busy avoiding nade in another place.

Might teach you a lesson to better look at your squads :>
21 Jan 2023, 11:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2023, 11:09 AMd0ggY

Might teach you a lesson to better look at your squads :>

I'm getting close to 40, I'm doing my best already :foreveralone:
21 Jan 2023, 11:15 AM
Senior Caster Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2023, 11:12 AMKatitof

I'm getting close to 40, I'm doing my best already :foreveralone:

But don't get me wrong. I don't mind if the TTK is higher than in coh2, but it should be at least fair. That if you flank someone with a 2nd squad and he slept and doesn't realise, you at least have a chance of wiping.

this was not given in CoH3.

Otherwise flanking becomes useless.

Flanking is a core gameplay of company of heroes, isn't it? :p
21 Jan 2023, 17:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2023, 11:15 AMd0ggY

But don't get me wrong. I don't mind if the TTK is higher than in coh2, but it should be at least fair. That if you flank someone with a 2nd squad and he slept and doesn't realise, you at least have a chance of wiping.

this was not given in CoH3.

Otherwise flanking becomes useless.

Flanking is a core gameplay of company of heroes, isn't it? :p

If you flank with bolt action rifles, you're not going to nuke anything, unless you land a grenade.
Try the same with thompsons or MP40s.

You've seen how REs melt grenadiers with their sten guns, its not coh2 shocks level of dps, but you can't exactly ignore them when they get near you.

Then there is a case of global upgrades increasing survivability of infantry as well by providing extra model, extra health or both.

If you want to get squad wipes fast, apply anti-infantry vehicles, you've seen how well they chew through infantry and since 1 AT nade does not snare LVs anymore...

CoH3 is not CoH2.
If you try to play it like it was, you're going to be disappointed.
21 Jan 2023, 21:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2023, 17:46 PMKatitof

If you flank with bolt action rifles, you're not going to nuke anything, unless you land a grenade.
Try the same with thompsons or MP40s.

You've seen how REs melt grenadiers with their sten guns, its not coh2 shocks level of dps, but you can't exactly ignore them when they get near you.

Then there is a case of global upgrades increasing survivability of infantry as well by providing extra model, extra health or both.

If you want to get squad wipes fast, apply anti-infantry vehicles, you've seen how well they chew through infantry and since 1 AT nade does not snare LVs anymore...

CoH3 is not CoH2.
If you try to play it like it was, you're going to be disappointed.

People were absolutely sleeping on the super lights in coh3 surprisingly. Using jeeps and notorcycles to flank units/draw fire while your squishy assault units moved up was a very effective tactic.
22 Jan 2023, 07:14 AM

People were absolutely sleeping on the super lights in coh3 surprisingly. Using jeeps and notorcycles to flank units/draw fire while your squishy assault units moved up was a very effective tactic.

This.

Also ppl. sleeping on the dingo, while it does not do a lot of DPS. The Vet 1 artillery call in has a huge range and doesnt need vision. Really safed my ass a couple of times when playing UKF
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★