Login

russian armor

Sega ESG funds dissolving

12 Dec 2022, 10:43 AM
Patrion 310

FYI;
According to multiple insider sources and the latest rumors are expecting ESG funds (stakeholder capitalism) to collapse/dissolve in 2023.

That means layoffs across the entire tech sector and the entire video game industry.
Sega/Relic is reliant on ESG funds such as Blackrock and Vanguard.

What red flags did Relic/Sega ignore?
Corporate malinvestment?
History repeats itself, why?

Fear the Boom and Bust: Keynes vs. Hayek - The Original Economics Rap Battle!:

Tough love is coming for Relic/Sega whatever they like it or not.

ESG investing 2022;

Relic/Sega ESG drug addicts trying to take cold turkey in 2023;

Why ESG Is the Biggest Scam of the 21st Century | Vivek Ramaswamy;
12 Dec 2022, 23:45 PM

does this mean i cannot have purple hair waffen ss unit in coh3?
13 Apr 2023, 17:29 PM

Lets take a minute to appreciate how SPOT ON this post was. I hate to use this cliche but it rings truer than ever. Go Woke - Go Broke.

As market conditions have tightened and with the money printers of central banks turned off (which were at an effective rate of 0% for 10 plus years) we now get to see which companies actually produce and make money. In business, you do this typically by creating a good product that consumers want and come back for. Not by taking a great franchise and putting moral exhibitionism as the forefront of your game. As much as I sympathize with the plight of the Jewish people, the last thing I think of when I ponder WWII in North Africa is the Jews of Benghazi...

Plenty of blame to go around between Sega and Relic. Sega has had financial issues and relying on ESG investing (which is literal cancer) to raise money, was most likely their only option. This is due to consolidation of institutional banking which I won't get too much into but the further we stray away from meritocracy, the more garbage the product is. See COH3.

Lets just take a snippet from Relic's About page:
'More than anything, you bring passion, empathy, and kindness to work every day, and you leave ego and cynicism at the door.'

This reads like the sign at my 5 year old daughters day care.

Not we want the best, hardest working, motivated... Passion, empathy and kindness. Hopefully you receive that on the streets of Vancouver when you beg for money.

Now I can't blame all of this on Sega/Relic, but when you take ESG money you also agree to their CES or Corporate Equity Score. This mean you hire people based on their race, gender, ideology or sexuality. Not based on your work ethic, professionalism, talent or skill. I have a hard time believing Relic put the best and brightest on this game. This game is unfinished, unpolished and frankly a slap in the face to all community members who put their own time and money to try and elevate this series. For me, the final straw was John's big announcement that left us a cliff hanger that maybe they would update the game graphics/textures/replays/etc.... no, we got a store...

Timing is everything and that timing was so piss poor, only a out of touch global conglomerate could have conjured it up.

Now I don't want to cry too much or sound too dramatic (this is a video game after all) but it is frustrating to see this franchise go down like that. Shout out to the community who seem to be putting in more of an effort to save this game. If Relic was smart, they would open this game up completely to the community and hopefully through modding they can salvage this once great series. At the behest of Relic, I just don't see it happening.

End of my rant, have a good day chumps.

13 Apr 2023, 18:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2023, 17:29 PMGdot
As much as I sympathize with the plight of the Jewish people, the last thing I think of when I ponder WWII in North Africa is the Jews of Benghazi...

End of my rant, have a good day chumps.

Good post.

I do not study history. I was not even aware there were any Jewish people in North Africa.

People say you are doomed to repeat history if you dont study it.

But I say all you need to know about history is this:
People are no better than animals. They will find a way to live with a situation, no matter how disgustingly inhumane it is. When you see a herd of animals crossing a river and one gets snagged by a croc, the others just move away and go about their business. This is humanity.

And you can see this even today with Coh3: This game is a complete joke and we should all be asking for our money back, but so many people just cope with "But... but... coh2 was worse".

This is equivalent to some crazy ass Hitler wannabe starting to kill only half of Jewish people right now. And everyone coping with "but Hitler killed 100% of Jewish people in WW2".

Cobras Frog in the boiling pot analogy is so on point that it is frightening.

All you need to know about life is treat people with dignity and respect.
13 Apr 2023, 19:02 PM

The game is a broken mess. Balance is whacky. There are plenty of bugs, as befits a relic title. Lessons that were learned, features that were implemented and bugs/design features that were adjusted and fixed in coh2 are all absent or reverted back to being broken or non functional, culminating in what is ultimately an inferior product - especially at the price point of a AAA game.

And the thing you guys get hung up on is a SP story about jews in benghazi and go woke go broke? Really?

I don't like being force fed all the woke sjw trash in my media either, but I think there are more sensible reasons for why the game is failing right now.

At this point you're just taking the complaints to a next level of being ridiculous imo. Which, if that is your drift, is fine by me. I get why you would be frustrated as avid fans of the franchise. I am too. I just don't think going there is gonna help your case in any way. Just some food for thought.
13 Apr 2023, 20:57 PM

And the thing you guys get hung up on is a SP story about jews in benghazi and go woke go broke? Really?

I don't like being force fed all the woke sjw trash in my media either, but I think there are more sensible reasons for why the game is failing right now.

At this point you're just taking the complaints to a next level of being ridiculous imo. Which, if that is your drift, is fine by me. I get why you would be frustrated as avid fans of the franchise. I am too. I just don't think going there is gonna help your case in any way. Just some food for thought.

I was trying to show correlation between ESG investing and how it translates into games. I would bet money, the decision to focus the SP around that came from higher ups, once again, showing how ESG investing injects this shit into whatever the product may be.
13 Apr 2023, 23:54 PM

Dude with the Trump avatar is seeing the patterns in the string of random financial data, predicting the future. Parroting the go woke - go broke... There is nothing even woke about this game.

It is not there. Whatever you see: Stable publishers who aren't backed by VC or Investment firms sabotage their games by rushing or overmonetizing. Other studios under the same CEO/Investment firm/VC make fair and quality games. From Battlefront II to Jedi Fallen Order when it comes to EA.

Privately funded studios also make mistakes. Doesn't take much to see so many indie games overpromise and underdeliver.

You have the sames studio making Hifi Rush (good price, not overhyped, no denuvo), they also make Ghostwire horror game that is rubbish, too expensive and splices DRM in.

It is all human factor. CoH3 is the product of Relic's capabilities: not some investment firm directed, not SEGA branch managed, not another shadowy puppetmaster causing the CoH3 other than Relic themselves. The same investment firm, with Sega as a publisher, make Total Warhammers. Sega is not micromanaging aspects of how to balance/monetize/prioritize the experience. It is the dumbasses at Relic who decide to prioritize mtx, console ports and plenty of other shortsighted decisions that are killing the franchise.

If Relic folds, it is simple economics. Branch is unprofitable - close it.
14 Apr 2023, 01:30 AM

There is nothing even woke about this game.

I think GDots main point was the COH3 campaign was based on the plight of Jewish North Africans. When you hear WW2 North Africa you envision large glorious battles, etc. You would expect a story line that follows the generals etc to get a feel for what was happening strategically at the time. Since this is a strategy game.

I have not played the SP stuff so I am only guessing what the campaign was about from his post. I could be way off.

But it sounds like it was ESG based feel good stuff and not strategic battle stuff.
14 Apr 2023, 02:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Apr 2023, 01:30 AMRosbone

I think GDots main point was the COH3 campaign was based on the plight of Jewish North Africans. When you hear WW2 North Africa you envision large glorious battles, etc. You would expect a story line that follows the generals etc to get a feel for what was happening strategically at the time. Since this is a strategy game.

I have not played the SP stuff so I am only guessing what the campaign was about from his post. I could be way off.

But it sounds like it was ESG based feel good stuff and not strategic battle stuff.

No, his woke rhetoric was about the investment fund purposely imposing hiring quotas to hire woke people (women, black, gay), who are unqualified, and therefore CoH3 is the product of diversity-hiring agenda that ignores the actual skill. When the woke game/show/movie fails, it is the go woke - go broke. When the woke game wins GOTY selling 20m - nothing to do with diversity, would have made even more money if it didn't have the transgender character in it.

The actual problem at Relic was that the wrong people got promoted. The biggest loser was some mobile game schmuck who somehow became the producer of DOW3, hired his wife... the actual problems of bad workers and nepotism, no woke/jewish conspiracies. And this is the same in all fronts: when you hire/promote bad workers, who have no vision or management skills to complete the work - you end up with the poor product.

Relic has been rotting ever since the Sega takeover/THQ shutdown. The transition simply lost the qualified staff who cared about the product, Sega picked the wrong people to promote/reform Relic into producer/lead roles, and that is it.

Once you see the world through the conspiracy nutjob eyes: everything is connected. Through you facebook detective skills you discover that your favorite game is part of the jewish/woke/minority plots.

And to the point about campaigns. You saw the art on the splashscreen. Whether the campaign is good or bad - irrelevant. The game has problems that aren't part of some woke or minority agenda - the campaign can be just mediocre, because the rest of the game is the same quality. I don't play these things, reviewers liked it, I assume RTS newcomers can also like it, most of the complaints aren't about campaign.

Every single time some people come out of the facebook swamp to say that X product is the woke agenda. You had Battlefields go through these steps, or TLOU2, Deathloop, or GoW little black girl, or whatever the latest game to feature the gay/black/transgender character is.

It is stupid everytime. There are plenty of bad products: adding or removing black/gay characters in them has no bearing on their quality. Just allow the games to fail on their merits, there is no conspiracy...
14 Apr 2023, 07:31 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

There's nothing spot on with cobras post. His posts are unfortunately often pretty incoherent rambling with no backup. Not all, but quite some.

Before we break it down, let's define that the main claim is that ESG (environmental, social, governance focused) investment leads to SEGA/Relic defining their products according to these values, which is the reason why the companies are not "healthy" in a classic economic way and ultimately why CoH3 is bad.

Point by point:

FYI;
According to multiple insider sources and the latest rumors are expecting ESG funds (stakeholder capitalism) to collapse/dissolve in 2023.

That means layoffs across the entire tech sector and the entire video game industry.
Sega/Relic is reliant on ESG funds such as Blackrock and Vanguard.

Two claims in here that have no backup, no source, not even a vague one claiming that's the case. For the amount of memes that are posted down below, why is there no source to the central two claims of the whole post?
Where's the analysis of how much investment firms have invested into Sega and or Relic under ESG rules? The last sentence can even be misread that BL and VG only invest according to ESG "guidelines". That's complete nonsense.

Next question:
Even without data, are these claims correct? The first one we can't tell yet, but it's also only April. There's no ESG related big downfall of the economy. For the time being, this is "waiting for happening" at best.
We've indeed seen layoffs in the IT industry, but without direct relation to ESG investments.

I'll collapse this since all of this is just throwing in the point that Relic ignored "red flags" followed by a lot of memes and a link to Wikipedia about "Malinvestment", which in turn is not linked to ESG investment. It proves nothing, it's just making the post longer and fakes some data or "being informed" about the topic. I'll jump to the last bit of actual content:
Why ESG Is the Biggest Scam of the 21st Century | Vivek Ramaswamy;

Is that true? To be honest, I don't know. It's a 1,5h youtube video/podcast. You can get basic insights into goals and problems of ESG based investment in a normal article read that takes 5-10 minutes. Read a couple, get opinions from multiple people in the financial industry. These could have been linked.
Instead, here's a 1,5h video where I get the opinion of 2 people only. Why? No one is going to watch it, and even if I watch it I have the opinion of exactly 2 people. It doesn't make sense, especially since Cobra assumes that he needs to explain what a malinvestment is. Why not link more basic stuff instead?

There indeed are problems with ESG funding.
Cobra claims, but can't link any of it to Relic or SEGA with the stuff he provides. It's just rambling for rambling's sake.
14 Apr 2023, 08:31 AM

Fantomasas and Hannibals replies are spot on, thanks for that! No conspiracy, just pure incompetence and/or lack of care.
14 Apr 2023, 12:02 PM

There's nothing spot on with cobras post. His posts are unfortunately often pretty incoherent rambling with no backup. Not all, but quite some.

Before we break it down, let's define that the main claim is that ESG (environmental, social, governance focused) investment leads to SEGA/Relic defining their products according to these values, which is the reason why the companies are not "healthy" in a classic economic way and ultimately why CoH3 is bad.

Point by point:

Two claims in here that have no backup, no source, not even a vague one claiming that's the case. For the amount of memes that are posted down below, why is there no source to the central two claims of the whole post?
Where's the analysis of how much investment firms have invested into Sega and or Relic under ESG rules? The last sentence can even be misread that BL and VG only invest according to ESG "guidelines". That's complete nonsense.

Next question:
Even without data, are these claims correct? The first one we can't tell yet, but it's also only April. There's no ESG related big downfall of the economy. For the time being, this is "waiting for happening" at best.
We've indeed seen layoffs in the IT industry, but without direct relation to ESG investments.

I'll collapse this since all of this is just throwing in the point that Relic ignored "red flags" followed by a lot of memes and a link to Wikipedia about "Malinvestment", which in turn is not linked to ESG investment. It proves nothing, it's just making the post longer and fakes some data or "being informed" about the topic. I'll jump to the last bit of actual content:

Is that true? To be honest, I don't know. It's a 1,5h youtube video/podcast. You can get basic insights into goals and problems of ESG based investment in a normal article read that takes 5-10 minutes. Read a couple, get opinions from multiple people in the financial industry. These could have been linked.
Instead, here's a 1,5h video where I get the opinion of 2 people only. Why? No one is going to watch it, and even if I watch it I have the opinion of exactly 2 people. It doesn't make sense, especially since Cobra assumes that he needs to explain what a malinvestment is. Why not link more basic stuff instead?

There indeed are problems with ESG funding.
Cobra claims, but can't link any of it to Relic or SEGA with the stuff he provides. It's just rambling for rambling's sake.

Sorry I didn’t realize we had people pretending ESG investing doesn’t exist or is a “conspiracy theory”.

Here is a link directly to the THOUSANDS of data points Sega must report on their end, reported and complied by…. SEGA.

https://www.segasammy.co.jp/en/ir/finance/esg/

14 Apr 2023, 13:30 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Sorry I didn’t realize we had people pretending ESG investing doesn’t exist or is a “conspiracy theory”.

Here is a link directly to the THOUSANDS of data points Sega must report on their end, reported and complied by…. SEGA.

Can you quote me on where I said that ESG did not exist and were a conspiracy?
14 Apr 2023, 14:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Apr 2023, 12:02 PMGdot

Please get some help. Seriously, you are pointing at the corporate reports on water usage, supporting causes, discussing carbon neutral offices, remote working, equal rights, legality of gambling, health related risks, mental health etc. I am looking at the same shit that every large company with shareholders publishers.

It is not that the investors or Sega doesn't exist, it is that you somehow adding the ends of CoH3 + Sega + Fund = Part of the woke/jewish/something plot. Linking random strings of data, glued by some podcasters. The shadowy cabal taking over or gayifying the world are incapable of drawing proper icons for abilities.

14 Apr 2023, 15:02 PM

Can you quote me on where I said that ESG did not exist and were a conspiracy?

Sorry that was for fantomasas
14 Apr 2023, 15:15 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Apr 2023, 15:02 PMGdot

Sorry that was for fantomasas

Also he did not claim so.

He wrote SturmtigerCobra was using rhetorics of conspiracy theorists (I personally don't like that expression, but anyway) by putting the existance of ESG investmentand Sega/Relic into the same post, thereby loosely connecting them and suggesting that Relic went to shit because ESG investment were giving bad incentives to companies (or so I imagine, it is nowhere clearly written how the mechanism is supposed to work. I guess it must be hidden in the posted 1,5h video that I did not watch instead of providing a good 5 minute summary article).

He does not give any proof for this claim. He throws it into the same pot saying one is causing the other, nothing else, then stirs in some memes and an unrelated wikipedia article. There is not a single piece of data or analysis or at the very least reasoning provided that connects ESG-guided investment as the cause for Relic being in a bad state.

From what Cobra posts, I could as well turn his logic upside down: ESG investment will collapse because Relic keeps releasing bad games. Proof? Sega has some ESG guidelines. That's about as much "data" as OP provided.
Actually, not even that. You had to go to Sega's website and look for their ESG summary. The summary is highly superficial and not providing any real corporate details or the influence of ESG on Sega's business strategy (I haven't clicked any links on the site, maybe it is further down). Cobra didn't even do the very basics for his claim.
14 Apr 2023, 15:38 PM

The shadowy cabal taking over or gayifying the world are incapable of drawing proper icons for abilities.

I accept this as fact. The math checks out.
14 Apr 2023, 15:38 PM

Please get some help. Seriously, you are pointing at the corporate reports on water usage, supporting causes, discussing carbon neutral offices, remote working, equal rights, legality of gambling, health related risks, mental health etc. I am looking at the same shit that every large company with shareholders publishers.

It is not that the investors or Sega doesn't exist, it is that you somehow adding the ends of CoH3 + Sega + Fund = Part of the woke/jewish/something plot. Linking random strings of data, glued by some podcasters. The shadowy cabal taking over or gayifying the world are incapable of drawing proper icons for abilities.

Please settle down. If this discussion is too much for you maybe you should find another topic. Acting overly emotional doesn’t make you right and I never said anything about a gay Jewish agenda.

The crux of the argument was that these IB’s (Blackrock, Vanguard,etc) hold a huge amount of power and do shape the final product, whether it is done directly or indirectly would be a question for SEGA/Relic.

It sure seems like Relic has been running more like an adult day care than an actual company looking to produce something of value. This is a combination (imo) of failure on a focal level (at relic) as well as activist investing pushing companies to hire based on quotas that have nothing to do with merit or skill. What you get is a half finished game.

ESG hasn’t always been the norm. So stop pretending companies always used to report this stuff. Allowing a multinational banking institution to set a social credit score for companies or they will be crushed is insane to me.

https://fintel.io/so/us/sgamf/blackrock-global-allocation-fund

One of many found in the 13Fs if you want to take the time to go through them. All traded OTC.

https://hbr.org/2022/03/an-inconvenient-truth-about-esg-investing

That article can articulate the point better than I. When you get involved with the ESG mafia, the product suffers.

14 Apr 2023, 15:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Apr 2023, 15:38 PMGdot
When you get involved with the ESG mafia, the product suffers.

Bud Light, anyone? :clap:
14 Apr 2023, 16:21 PM

Bud Light, anyone? :clap:

Know your audience! I can't force people to connect dots but unless there's some BBC/CNN article specifically stating it, many people want to pretend it doesn't happen.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS