Login

russian armor

Why does Overwatch(commander) exist?

8 Dec 2022, 12:35 PM

My point was clearly towards the second half of your statement: OKW can build a Kubelwagen (even two if you want to stretch it) to avoid spamming infantry and keep resources and population available to build elites. They have both options: Spam Volks or delay with Kubel and get more elites later.

You're stretching what I have posted. I did not make a statement about changing JLI timing, nor about you saying JLI did not have utility at all.
In my opinion you understated the value of their current abilities. I have to correct though that they were spammed after a patch when JLI were lowered from CP2 to CP1 (not CP0 as I originally said) alongside a multitude of buffs.

What you have quoted was a response to Looney suggestion that JLI should remain as is but move to CP 2.

At CP 2, with 100 sec CD, (no infiltration) trying to delay in order to use JLI as core infantry does not seem be very viable.

I on the other hand have suggested that these unit should become more focused on utility than damage and become support units with lower Pop/cost.

Which suggestion do you agree with?

Back to the main topic:
I think overwatch is fine overall. It was a horrible commander back when flares were auto-placed at every territory point. This was in my opinion the biggest nerf to the commander. The sector assault should be tuned down though and made cheaper. Even with AA it is hard to counter, because there are so many planes.

The flare change seem to rather hard, they CD on rearming the flare should simply be significantly increased now the ability is hardly used.

Alternatively it could be replaced by conscript's flare with no damage or low cost (or no cost) "sniper" flares launched from trucks.
8 Dec 2022, 13:36 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Dec 2022, 12:35 PMVipper

What you have quoted was a response to Looney suggestion that JLI should remain as is but move to CP 2.

That's a fair point, however you're usually asking to discuss only what you have posted and not implications by whom you quote or what others discussed before you. By these measures, please stick to what you demand from others. I have not written anything about moving JLI to CP2.

At CP 2, with 100 sec CD, (no infiltration) trying to delay in order to use JLI as core infantry does not seem be very viable.

I on the other hand have suggested that these unit should become more focused on utility than damage and become support units with lower Pop/cost.

Which suggestion do you agree with?

JLI are okay as they are at the moment, there is no big reason to change them if there was the chance to do so. They actually fit their historic role quite well. Making the critical kill a timed ability as you suggested might be a good way to go, but obviously has to be tested.

The flare change seem to rather hard, they CD on rearming the flare should simply be significantly increased now the ability is hardly used.

Alternatively it could be replaced by conscript's flare with no damage or low cost (or no cost) "sniper" flares launched from trucks.

The flare change was necessary and good. It required no input and generated a massive sight bonus for axis, especially regarding the good availability of rocket artillery. The time to place them could be shortened though. Not sure what you mean by "sniper" flare. The one the Soviet sniper and Panzerfusiliere have?
8 Dec 2022, 13:54 PM

The flare change was necessary and good. It required no input and generated a massive sight bonus for axis, especially regarding the good availability of rocket artillery. The time to place them could be shortened though.

The ability was OP and had to be fixed, but it see little now.
It is not that the time is very long, but one can start only after the sector is friendly and it usally there are more important thing to do.

Not sure what you mean by "sniper" flare. The one the Soviet sniper and Panzerfusiliere have?

If I am not mistaken Soviet sniper flare are different from most flares including the PF ones.
8 Dec 2022, 15:26 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Dec 2022, 13:54 PMVipper

The ability was OP and had to be fixed, but it see little now.
It is not that the time is very long, but one can start only after the sector is friendly and it usally there are more important thing to do.

I think it is about the number of times you have to come back to the unit at the moment.
1. Take the territory point
2. order the flare
3. send them where they are needed

#2 and #3 can be chained, but it is slightly clunky to use, especially if you're not in the top100 micro players. It is very powerful though, if it gets untied from territory points it has to come with a cost.
OKW already has good recon in this commander with JLI, I am not sure how much more visibility it already needs if flares or any replacement ability become more accessible.

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Dec 2022, 13:54 PMVipper
If I am not mistaken Soviet sniper flare are different from most flares including the PF ones.

How are they different? Especially on a functional level, not secondary stats like the duration or CD? The mechanic looks identical to me.

Anyway: Do you mean they should get a flare mechanic like that?
And by trucks I assume you mean OKW HQ trucks, not the half tracks?
8 Dec 2022, 15:52 PM

I think it is about the number of times you have to come back to the unit at the moment.
1. Take the territory point
2. order the flare
3. send them where they are needed

#2 and #3 can be chained, but it is slightly clunky to use, especially if you're not in the top100 micro players. It is very powerful though, if it gets untied from territory points it has to come with a cost.
OKW already has good recon in this commander with JLI, I am not sure how much more visibility it already needs if flares or any replacement ability become more accessible.

One could try reducing the micro by arming the flare automatically by the infatry once caped.

How are they different? Especially on a functional level, not secondary stats like the duration or CD? The mechanic looks identical to me.

Anyway: Do you mean they should get a flare mechanic like that?
And by trucks I assume you mean OKW HQ trucks, not the half tracks?

Soviet sniper flare think reveal units in smoke.

Yes set up tracks could launch them.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS