Login

russian armor

SturmPios Max range

7 Jul 2022, 15:11 PM

Something I have noticed over a while was that Sturms would fire at a unit at max range if their was sight but the other unit would not return fire. I have seen this happen with Cons/penals/engi/Rifles. The damage is minimal so it doesn't really matter in the slightest. However from the OKW player's perspective it could reveal their unit that was waiting in hiding.

Say JLI cloaked with hold fire or even in a building to get some extra vision. I have seen it happen most in buildings say I have a good guess that they are hiding behind the building so try to stay max range from building. Sturm goes in, none of say my Cons fire but 1 or 2 Sturm Pios fire back despite it being slightly beyond max range. Say range 37. If I tell them to fire the cons will move up a tiny bit and shoot.

Was wondering if it was a bulletin or maybe they are just coded to have a tiny bit more range.
7 Jul 2022, 18:29 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

You can see most squads in the game have this issue at some point or another. If I had to guess it has something to do with the position of the model vs the position of the squad center. Similar to tank rounds leave the tank barrel, but distance for penetration and accuracy are measured from the center of the hull.
7 Jul 2022, 18:47 PM

OKW infantry have some sort of Fuhrer's superman oberhuman soldier training and thus they can fire farther than everyone else slightly

this also includes pfusiliers
7 Jul 2022, 19:56 PM

OKW infantry have some sort of Fuhrer's superman oberhuman soldier training and thus they can fire farther than everyone else slightly

this also includes pfusiliers

Wait until you find out about JLI and Pathfinders with 40 range with vet!
MMX
8 Jul 2022, 03:37 AM

You can see most squads in the game have this issue at some point or another. If I had to guess it has something to do with the position of the model vs the position of the squad center. Similar to tank rounds leave the tank barrel, but distance for penetration and accuracy are measured from the center of the hull.

This would be my guess as well. Not sure about infantry models, but for tanks there is a set of coordinates that defines the origin of each shell with respect to the center of the tank. This is also the starting point for distance measurements, such as max range or the (n,m,f) distances used in the accuracy and pen calculations.
And since tanks seem to always aim at the center of each other, some tanks for which this gun origin point protudes a bit farther away from the center seem to have a tiny bit more range than others.
I guess something like this could also apply to infantry models and cause these tiny deviations in max range described by the OP
8 Jul 2022, 11:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jul 2022, 03:37 AMMMX

This would be my guess as well. Not sure about infantry models, but for tanks there is a set of coordinates that defines the origin of each shell with respect to the center of the tank. This is also the starting point for distance measurements, such as max range or the (n,m,f) distances used in the accuracy and pen calculations.
And since tanks seem to always aim at the center of each other, some tanks for which this gun origin point protudes a bit farther away from the center seem to have a tiny bit more range than others.
I guess something like this could also apply to infantry models and cause these tiny deviations in max range described by the OP

Maybe it is their formation which causes this? It happens fairly consistently in the church at the center of whiteball, if you are squad is north of the building and sturms are inside. One unit will fire even if your at the edge of vision/range and will not fire back.

I think the center of squad formation makes perfect sense since it also seems to apply to PTRS Penals. If a tank drives by at max range the PTRS will fire range 40 but if you tell the unit to attack it attempts to get to range 35 so the SVTs fire also. As a side note, never grab a flamethrower and upgrade it to PTRS. It will attempt to get into flamethrower range before doing anything.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★