Login

russian armor

SWS Cannot use ability on this target.

27 Dec 2021, 03:58 AM

Hello, I'm struggling with the SWS Halftrack currently, with which I can't convert it to any other building.
It simply says over both the Tier 2 and 3 Buildings that it "Cannot Use Ability On This Target", thus not allowing me to convert it. So far for OKW I have only messed around with Pios and Volks, simply copy and pasted the HQ and the SWS halftrack, and edited the army files so my custom pios spawned in straight away, my question is what is the requirement stopping the SWS from converting? I've gone through (as far as I know) all of the references and abilities yet I can not find a solution, perhaps it believes it needs to be targeted like a panzerfaust? That's my best guess from the in game message, anyways, I'd really appreciate some help on this.

Thank you <444>3
5 Jan 2022, 22:28 PM

Do you mind if I ask what you mean by copy and paste the HQ and SWS.
Do you mean you cloned them?
6 Jan 2022, 13:03 PM

Do you mind if I ask what you mean by copy and paste the HQ and SWS.
Do you mean you cloned them?

Yes I mean I cloned it, from what I gathered some things break if they are cloned but not renamed? is this one of these issues?
7 Jan 2022, 00:25 AM

I usually find its the other way round. Cloning something and then renaming it can break it.
My only suggestion really is to clone all the okw buildings and their construction abilities, as they may have been changed by Relic and we cant see the changes cause the tools are so out of date.
If you clone them it will set them up in your mod as they appear in the tools and that might fix it.
7 Jan 2022, 01:17 AM

I usually find its the other way round. Cloning something and then renaming it can break it.
My only suggestion really is to clone all the okw buildings and their construction abilities, as they may have been changed by Relic and we cant see the changes cause the tools are so out of date.
If you clone them it will set them up in your mod as they appear in the tools and that might fix it.

I have cloned all of them (including the ones left over from the old OKW base system in case there's sone weird stuff there) as far as I know, the problem is there is so many, such as the way it "kills" the sws and replaces it with the base building but I might have missed some, any I should 100% look for in case I missed it, or is there any way to restart work on only one nation? I have already worked on USF and UKF so I'd hate to restart the progress on them. I tried replacing the cloned SWS and base buildings with the standard ones as well the ability references but not even that worked.
7 Jan 2022, 04:33 AM
Modmaker Badge

The SWS halftrack has all the relevant references within the squad category. You will want to look for ability and loadout extensions and reference those accordingly.

To diagnose the problem why the ability cannot be used, label the requirements so you know which requirement is not being fulfilled.

I have looked at the ability requirements and none of them have the string "Cannot Use Ability On This Target". I'm unsure if this is because the mod tools are outdated or because its a default message of some target requirement within the ability not being met.

If you can still not diagnose the issue then start by deleting requirements until it works.
8 Jan 2022, 23:50 PM

The SWS halftrack has all the relevant references within the squad category. You will want to look for ability and loadout extensions and reference those accordingly.

To diagnose the problem why the ability cannot be used, label the requirements so you know which requirement is not being fulfilled.

I have looked at the ability requirements and none of them have the string "Cannot Use Ability On This Target". I'm unsure if this is because the mod tools are outdated or because its a default message of some target requirement within the ability not being met.

If you can still not diagnose the issue then start by deleting requirements until it works.

Hi, I made sure all preferences were properly connected, and then tried deleting every requirement for the ability, yet it still does not let me convert the SWS. Same message too, it could be that the tools are just that badly out of date, but I also don't remember relic changing the SWS in anyway for the past 2 years so I really don't know what's going on here. As I asked before, any way to restart my work just on OKW?
9 Jan 2022, 03:50 AM
Modmaker Badge

That's weird.

For clarification is the ability's button greyed out or are you able to click the button and have the ghost image of the halftrack?

When you cloned the SWS halftrack was it in the sbps or ebps category?

Is the pbgid (number at the bottom) the same as the non-cloned version?

To 'restart' your progress there's 2 options.

Copy/paste the "extensions" by clicking on the extensions line of the attributes version and pasting it over the extensions line of your clone.

Delete your cloned SWS halftrack. If a dialogue box is opened saying x instances will also be affected don't delete it. Find all references (via right click) and replace them with the original versions first. Then you can delete it.
9 Jan 2022, 04:45 AM

That's weird.

For clarification is the ability's button greyed out or are you able to click the button and have the ghost image of the halftrack?

When you cloned the SWS halftrack was it in the sbps or ebps category?

Is the pbgid (number at the bottom) the same as the non-cloned version?

To 'restart' your progress there's 2 options.

Copy/paste the "extensions" by clicking on the extensions line of the attributes version and pasting it over the extensions line of your clone.

Delete your cloned SWS halftrack. If a dialogue box is opened saying x instances will also be affected don't delete it. Find all references (via right click) and replace them with the original versions first. Then you can delete it.

It is completely greyed out yeah, doesn't let me select it. I cloned both the sbps and ebps, the pbgid is different as whenever a new id is created, nothing strange there. It seems like the there is code which either broke or is simply proving how outdated these tools are, like wise with the mechanized support group, which it is still referenced in game but nowhere (as far as I know) to be seen in the tools. Luckily I figured a work around for that, "restarting" progress the way you explained has worked for now, which suggests maybe I made a mistake somewhere, regardless, thank you for your support, and good to know there's a way of beginning all over again.
9 Jan 2022, 07:55 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

It is completely greyed out yeah, doesn't let me select it.

This happens when the action list in the ability is empty or the list has actions which have 0 duration.
Does the construct_action still have a correct link to your entity?
12 Jan 2022, 08:31 AM

This happens when the action list in the ability is empty or the list has actions which have 0 duration.
Does the construct_action still have a correct link to your entity?

The links were fine, it did have 0 duration though, which did fix it thank you very much.

One thing if you don't mind SneakEye, is there any way to change what weapons are available at the weapon racks in the Forward Assembly? I'm trying to give OKW the Forward Assembly, my problem is the link between the Forward Assembly itself and the weapon racks as they're a separate entity.

I have all of the slot_item stuff done and whatnot, it's just the link between the two entities that I don't understand. My Pioneers build the new OKW Forward Assembly but it still comes with the PIAT and Bren LMG.
12 Jan 2022, 09:26 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

The links were fine, it did have 0 duration though, which did fix it thank you very much.

Nice!

One thing if you don't mind SneakEye, is there any way to change what weapons are available at the weapon racks in the Forward Assembly? I'm trying to give OKW the Forward Assembly, my problem is the link between the Forward Assembly itself and the weapon racks as they're a separate entity.

I have all of the slot_item stuff done and whatnot, it's just the link between the two entities that I don't understand. My Pioneers build the new OKW Forward Assembly but it still comes with the PIAT and Bren LMG.

The Forward Assembly spawns the weapon racks through an apply_stamp_action in construction_ext/on_construction_actions. However, these stamps cannot be modded. If you make a custom structure, then you need to remove that apply_stamp_action and use spawn_entity_action instead. Set permanent to False, duration to 9999 and player_owned to True; that will automatically delete it when the Forward Assembly dies.
12 Jan 2022, 10:40 AM

The Forward Assembly spawns the weapon racks through an apply_stamp_action in construction_ext/on_construction_actions. However, these stamps cannot be modded. If you make a custom structure, then you need to remove that apply_stamp_action and use spawn_entity_action instead. Set permanent to False, duration to 9999 and player_owned to True; that will automatically delete it when the Forward Assembly dies.

That explains why I could never find anything linked to the stamps, useful to know, once again thank you, works just as I needed it to.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★