Login

russian armor

120 mortar Vet 1 ability

6 Jul 2021, 09:42 AM

correct me if im wrong bro and be serious and honest u only say that it should not be sticky becuz u wont use this unit vs people. u wont play this command or that army. u might but never as much as your favorite axis. u love axis so much u will defend every thread that pushes anything good for allies. nd if its against axis u try to say it needs buffs... cmon now bro

Pls stick in debating the point.

If you have an argument why a mortar should be able to also perform as AT weapon feel free to explain your point of view.
MMX
6 Jul 2021, 10:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jul 2021, 09:42 AMVipper

If you have an argument why a mortar should be able to also perform as AT weapon feel free to explain your point of view.

you certainly have a point in that 1k penetration and 136 (or 160?) damage per hit look quite powerful for a mortar, at least on paper. still, eating more than one shell should be an absolute rarity given the huge scatter and low rate of fire of the 120mm. i also don't see why the 'sticky' part of the projectile out of all things would cause so much headache. after all it does virtually nothing in terms of chance to hit or damage dealt (unless, of course, you'd change the projectile collision so that it either phases through the tank and sticks to the ground beneath it or somehow bounces off to the side instead). if the AT capability is your major concern, i'd say reducing penetration and/or damage dealt would be the more logical approach.
6 Jul 2021, 11:18 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jul 2021, 10:29 AMMMX

you certainly have a point in that 1k penetration and 136 (or 160?) damage per hit look quite powerful for a mortar, at least on paper. still, eating more than one shell should be an absolute rarity given the huge scatter and low rate of fire of the 120mm. i also don't see why the 'sticky' part of the projectile out of all things would cause so much headache. after all it does virtually nothing in terms of chance to hit or damage dealt (unless, of course, you'd change the projectile collision so that it either phases through the tank and sticks to the ground beneath it or somehow bounces off to the side instead). if the AT capability is your major concern, i'd say reducing penetration and/or damage dealt would be the more logical approach.

Because it makes little sense that infatry and support weapon have a counter play and can move out of blast area and vehicles do not.

It also make little sense, is non realistic and I really do not see any justification.

As for multiple round hitting the same target I am not sure if they have removed the critical damage these round used to to do. If they haven't it should be plausible to hit a vehicles with multiple rounds.
MMX
6 Jul 2021, 12:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jul 2021, 11:18 AMVipper

It also make little sense, is non realistic and I really do not see any justification.

well, what would be a more realistic implementation then in your opinion?

the round warping through the vehicle is hardly any more realistic.

having the shell bounce off the tank would of course be preferable, but i doubt this is even possible engine-wise.

otherwise the round could likely be made to explode on impact. more realistic for sure, but that would again not change anything with respect to chance to hit and damage dealt, just delay the inevitable.
6 Jul 2021, 12:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jul 2021, 12:40 PMMMX

well, what would be a more realistic implementation then in your opinion?

the round warping through the vehicle is hardly any more realistic.

having the shell bounce off the tank would of course be preferable, but i doubt this is even possible engine-wise.

otherwise the round could likely be made to explode on impact. more realistic for sure, but that would again not change anything with respect to chance to hit and damage dealt, just delay the inevitable.

If it behaved exactly the same regardless where it landed. Simply explode after a certain time.
MMX
6 Jul 2021, 12:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jul 2021, 12:44 PMVipper

If it behaved exactly the same regardless where it landed. Simply explode after a certain time.

arguably that's what it does already. if the landing spot happens to be a tank and able to move it will just move with it until it explodes. imho still a better solution that magically phasing through the vehicle onto the ground.

anyway, i think this is a pretty insignificant issue anyway given how incredibly rare it is to hit a tank with a sticky mortar round.
6 Jul 2021, 13:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jul 2021, 12:54 PMMMX

arguably that's what it does already. if the landing spot happens to be a tank and able to move it will just move with it until it explodes. imho still a better solution that magically phasing through the vehicle onto the ground.

anyway, i think this is a pretty insignificant issue anyway given how incredibly rare it is to hit a tank with a sticky mortar round.

Actually it is not that hard to hit slow vehicles like Ele/JT even the Pak howitzer can do it using the HEAT rounds.

The round does not have to "phase" it simply need not to "collide" with vehicle and simply land on the ground.
6 Jul 2021, 14:13 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jul 2021, 12:54 PMMMX

How long was the fuse again? For some quicker vehicles you can still evade, especially if you've already started driving out of the danger zone and the vehicle has built up some speed. but I agree, overall these issues are very marginal.

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jul 2021, 13:03 PMVipper

Actually it is not that hard to hit slow vehicles like Ele/JT even the Pak howitzer can do it using the HEAT rounds.

Which is exactly why it does not really matter that much for large and slow vehicles. They could rarely dodge the shell anyway. Smaller and lighter vehicles are more effected by this since also the 80 damage has a larger impact, but then again I have to agree with MMX that the overall effect of fixing this will not be large. I'd personally still rather have it phase through the vehicle and hit the ground below, but if this causes a lot of work, just leave it be. This time is better invested elsewhere.

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jul 2021, 13:03 PMVipper

The round does not have to "phase" it simply need not to "collide" with vehicle and simply land on the ground.

Which is exactly what phasing through the vehicle means...
6 Jul 2021, 15:04 PM

How long was the fuse again? For some quicker vehicles you can still evade, especially if you've already started driving out of the danger zone and the vehicle has built up some speed. but I agree, overall these issues are very marginal.

Which is exactly why it does not really matter that much for large and slow vehicles. They could rarely dodge the shell anyway. Smaller and lighter vehicles are more effected by this since also the 80 damage has a larger impact, but then again I have to agree with MMX that the overall effect of fixing this will not be large. I'd personally still rather have it phase through the vehicle and hit the ground below, but if this causes a lot of work, just leave it be. This time is better invested elsewhere.

Which is exactly what phasing through the vehicle means...

First of all the round does 160.

Second there is a 3 sec timer

Third the projectile at least in my PC is not that visible.

My point was that is should land on the ground from start and not move to the ground if a vehicles moves.

One can easily hit stationary vehicles. It also seem they have removed the critical which is a good thing.
14 Jul 2021, 12:30 PM

If it really is sticky that's surely an oversight and extremely silly regardless.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★