Login

russian armor

Regarding the Captain

26 Apr 2021, 18:34 PM

When I play USF, I rely heavily on the cpt to supervise and get stuff out fast. The idea is, USF can gain a significant advantage by dominating the early game. This sometimes works, sometimes not. Does anyone else here think that way, or is it generally better to go lt first ? The only think I can think of is having access to HMG and light armour earlier I guess, but then being constrained by "regular time", not "accelerated time".
26 Apr 2021, 19:24 PM

I think it comes down to a bunch of factors. For starters, your commander choice may compliment going one or the other.

It also depends on the match up, their commanders, and game mode. Like I personally feel MG's are worthless against fusiliers because their sight range/flares eventually outranges your MGs. But against volks it's not half bad. OR the ML20 is pretty good against OKW, but against ostheer it's somewhat bad because of fausts and fast 222s. The stuart doesn't necessarily counter a 222, just deter it since he's not going to be dumb enough to lose it. So that can put you behind in the tank race.

Captain is arguably just safer, but you lose access to MGs. Personally I feel the smarter my opponent is the less optimal MG's for USF becomes. As shitty pathfinding as the halftrack has I do appreciate it's mobile suppression. Then later in the game it negates air support. I think the captain is also a useful team player because of ON ME and Supervise.
26 Apr 2021, 19:26 PM

I think it comes down to a bunch of factors. For starters, your commander choice may compliment going one or the other.

It also depends on the match up, their commanders, and game mode. Like I personally feel MG's are worthless against fusiliers because their sight range/flares eventually outranges your MGs. But against volks it's not half bad. OR the ML20 is pretty good against OKW, but against ostheer it's somewhat bad because of fausts and fast 222s. The stuart doesn't necessarily counter a 222, just deter it since he's not going to be dumb enough to lose it. So that can put you behind in the tank race.

Captain is arguably just safer, but you lose access to MGs. Personally I feel the smarter my opponent is the less optimal MG's for USF becomes. As shitty pathfinding as the halftrack has I do appreciate it's mobile suppression. Then later in the game it negates air support. I think the captain is also a useful team player because of ON ME and Supervise.

Fair enough, I agree with all that
4 May 2021, 14:10 PM

When I play USF, I rely heavily on the cpt to supervise and get stuff out fast. The idea is, USF can gain a significant advantage by dominating the early game. This sometimes works, sometimes not. Does anyone else here think that way, or is it generally better to go lt first ? The only think I can think of is having access to HMG and light armour earlier I guess, but then being constrained by "regular time", not "accelerated time".

Its all come to snowballing effect. With lieutenant first you must snowball thus play aggressively. With captain you can play more passive. As said before it depends on the map and faction you're facing.

Lieutenant is better vs OKW because they rely a lot on blobbing to overthrow you from a place. The HMG is nice to hold off and support your riflement in this purpose. HMG tend to be less effective vs grenadiers with their long range weapon and grenade and M20 and Stuart are more subject to be snared. The stuart is also better to poke OKW AAHT or Luch than US AAHT.

Captain is better vs Ostheer because as you said they get their medium first so an Atgun is always welcome to temporize till your sherman roll in and AAHT is definitively better vs the 222 and to suppress from afar grens/pzgrens. The pakH is also a good investment vs Ostheer more static way of playing.

Now if you're confident in your micro and by this I mean Light vehicle micro, you must pick the lieutenant first. A well use M20 is an absolute nightmare to deal with as Ostheer, once vetted you'll pick regularly and fast 1 model from 4men squad grens or pzgren and then let your rifle finish the job forcing early retreat. The M20 gives you free tech smoke and is best to flank lonely HMG. Then The stuart is just there to assist and keep the 222 away.
With this strat you should be bleeding your opponent hard enough to delay him in his tech to his first Pz4.

Evidently, to gain confidence in microing your LVs, you must learn it first the hard way, no other solutions.
4 May 2021, 18:35 PM

I know some people like to leave the Capt on 1 model as just a supervisor to keep down on popcap. I think that's valid in the late game where you might not have the micro to manage one more squad if you have enough infantry already. It's also not bad if you need to side/back tech for AT Guns (he's more useful to supervise than using the new "Transfer Orders" ability to get rid of him.) Otherwise he's probably useful on the field and you can just time a retreat to coincide with supervising a tank build.
2 Jul 2021, 09:48 AM

I know some people like to leave the Capt on 1 model as just a supervisor to keep down on popcap. I think that's valid in the late game where you might not have the micro to manage one more squad if you have enough infantry already. It's also not bad if you need to side/back tech for AT Guns (he's more useful to supervise than using the new "Transfer Orders" ability to get rid of him.) Otherwise he's probably useful on the field and you can just time a retreat to coincide with supervising a tank build.

This is one of the best CoH2 tip's i've ever read. Having tried it, this man is a genius.

Can't believe I never thought of it.
28 Sep 2021, 01:47 AM

Captain is also incredibly expensive to re-enforce and not much better than rifleman squad so it makes sense to transition him to the supervisor role after a few fire fights.
12 Oct 2021, 10:30 AM

I used to like teching Captain because he's way more useful. Comes with supervise, on me and a bar upgrade before weapon racks and the AA halftrack is really good for locking down territory and late game for protecting cut-offs and countering recon planes, but I feel like you're missing out on capitalizing on USF's early game strength by not going Lieutenant. The Stuart also works really well with the Jackson and surprisingly very useful late game.
12 Oct 2021, 11:11 AM

Have to keep in mind, even at 1 men he's 4 pop, which is 6 manpower upkeep, which means every 4:40 minutes you pay 1 Riflemen model in terms of upkeep, which isn't that much, but should consider if you find it worth it compared to -75% build time.
16 Dec 2021, 13:09 PM

Have to keep in mind, even at 1 men he's 4 pop, which is 6 manpower upkeep, which means every 4:40 minutes you pay 1 Riflemen model in terms of upkeep, which isn't that much, but should consider if you find it worth it compared to -75% build time.

I was wondering what the pop cap was. It's hard to get him to one model. I usually settle for two models which isnt ideal, but works. Still a killer use case though. Insta spawn Rifles, RE's and very quick Jacksons.
18 Nov 2022, 17:15 PM

In my opinion the safest thing to do generally seems to be going LT first then CPT later while skipping the light vehicle unlocks then doing your side techs/ambulance. This gives you access to an MG and AT gun to fend off Axis blobs and Panzer IV tank rushes.

But if you're going to compare LT to CPT and can only pick one, CPT is a safer bet. For starters, the CPT unit itself is better and more useful than the LT due to his abilities like supervise, on-me, where as the LT is basically like any other Riflemen sqaud but lacks an AT snare. Both have smoke grenades. Beyond that, the units the CPT tech tree unlocks are going to be more useful and less risky as well.

It's probably too late to make changes but I do feel like the LT should have gotten an AT snare.
19 Nov 2022, 13:55 PM

I used to do this before the USF over 100 pop cap nerf. Before it was totally worth it especially in team games as USF has long build times for tanks. Just bide your time until Sherman blob of death aquired.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★