Login

russian armor

(2) Overloon Fields

14 Dec 2020, 20:38 PM

(2) Overloon Fields

Overloon Fields is a competitively minded 1v1 map based on the Battle of Overloon. Taking place in the farm and forested fields just outside the town of Overloon you're presented with an open map, wide enough to grant opportunities for out maneuvering your opponent. Battle lines often will stretch across the central road cutting the map in two diagonally but with proper position ground on either side of the road can and often will change hands frequently.

I'm open to taking any criticism or bug reports for my maps so don't be shy about it. And if you have any replays you'd like to share I'd love to watch them. If you enjoy the map leave a comment and rate it to boost my ego too.

20 Dec 2020, 12:19 PM
Donator 11

Go to where your pictures are uploaded, right click and press something like "copy link to picture", mine is in Dutch so I don't know exactly how it is called in English.

Then in the type field here on this website press the button above the text field that says "Insert Image" when you hover over it. Then press "Paste" to paste the link you copied in step 1.
20 Dec 2020, 15:53 PM

Go to where your pictures are uploaded, right click and press something like "copy link to picture", mine is in Dutch so I don't know exactly how it is called in English.

Then in the type field here on this website press the button above the text field that says "Insert Image" when you hover over it. Then press "Paste" to paste the link you copied in step 1.

Thanks man, appreciate it! Strange that it doesn't accept a simplified image link.
20 Dec 2020, 19:15 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Dec 2020, 15:53 PMJPA32

Thanks man, appreciate it! Strange that it doesn't accept a simplified image link.

yeah, you get used to it<444>_<444>
20 Dec 2020, 21:19 PM

Will take a look at this later this week!
20 Dec 2020, 23:40 PM

Will take a look at this later this week!

Sweet! I'm excited for a chance for a high level player to get into the nitty gritty of my map. I'll be eagerly awaiting your feedback. :)
21 Dec 2020, 15:08 PM

https://www.coh2.org/replay/107176/map-test

So there is some of the first impression of the map. Visually its good, performance wise it's great as well, however, a few problems come out almost immediately.
1: The size. The map is too small, there's a lack of maneuverability and you feel cramped. This is especially rough for a faction like wehr.
2: The cut offs, while good, the mgs cover them which makes pushing them hard, this needs changing. Oh and the base defenses don't cover properly on the right side, you can rush in a squad and sit there.

Some other changes that i think could be interesting. The empty space up in the top and south side are useless for now, consider moving the back points there? Would give some incentive to fight there.
I would like to see the fuels swapped with the muni, or put in a way that makes them more aggressive. Though regardless the size 100% needs to get upped. I've made a picture here with what i think you could do in theory. (though it might make middle to important.) (Black is swap, the blue is where you could move the point and the red line would be how the territory ets cut or what have you. Really though focus on making it bigger and less tight.)

The map has good potential and i did enjoy playing it. the flow is nice, just the needs a lot more tweaking and i think you have a gem on your hands!
21 Dec 2020, 16:12 PM

1: The size. The map is too small, there's a lack of maneuverability and you feel cramped. This is especially rough for a faction like wehr.

I'm glad you pointed this out, my first map endeavor ended up being entirely too large and I've probably overcompensated. I'm thinking using the one change you offered by shifting the points to the opposite corners allowing the bases to skew to the newly opened ground. In theory this should open up the map more since the bases will be on a diagonal allowing more traversal before contact with the enemy. Will likely also extend the actual bounds of the map near the blue lines in the picture to give it a little extra width and have more room to work points around.

2: The cut offs, while good, the mgs cover them which makes pushing them hard, this needs changing. Oh and the base defenses don't cover properly on the right side, you can rush in a squad and sit there.

Base sectors are probably getting a hard rework in the next version so. With more map space I can afford to set them up properly with foresight. Current bases were plopped down and the map was built around the space I had left which turned out kinda jank but I was committed at that point since an entire base rework would have been tons of effort and had rippling effects across the entire map without a clear plan of what to do.

Some other changes that i think could be interesting. The empty space up in the top and south side are useless for now, consider moving the back points there? Would give some incentive to fight there.

I toyed with points being there in early editions of the map. They're certainly designed like points should be there and with a wider map I can definitely make it work. Also conveniently makes other aspects of the map easier to work with so win-win! I don't recall why I even took them away to be honest.

I would like to see the fuels swapped with the muni, or put in a way that makes them more aggressive.

While I don't know about the pictured fuel change (I've found two aggressive fuels in the mid results in a very one dimensional/steamrolly game) in the interest of lengthening the map and shifting the bases I'm allowed more room to modify existing points which means I can certainly push the Fuels around to place them more aggressively. With the bases shifting in that direction, Fuel and Muni swap would probably end up being a good change but I'll have to see how the distance shakes out when I move the bases.

The map has good potential and i did enjoy playing it. the flow is nice, just the needs a lot more tweaking and i think you have a gem on your hands!

Appreciate the kind words and the suggestions man! Haven't checked out the replay as of posting this but it's on the to-do list for today. Gotta manage to pull myself away from my early Christmas gift of Sekiro first. So ETA TBD on the next iteration of the map, but I'll be sure to put a little time into it each day.
22 Dec 2020, 14:06 PM

Easiest way to go would probably be restructuring map so base sectors are smaller and in the corners.
22 Dec 2020, 20:43 PM

I am finally getting around to gathering some useful data from existing maps on size.

https://www.coh2.org/topic/107186/coh2-map-size-discussion/page/1#post_id845145

May be helpful.
22 Dec 2020, 21:25 PM

Might be good to join the Mapping Discord also. Will be easier for feedback and images.

https://www.coh2.org/topic/101295/new-worldbuilders-testers-discord/page/1#post_id787087
23 Dec 2020, 15:44 PM

I am finally getting around to gathering some useful data from existing maps on size.

https://www.coh2.org/topic/107186/coh2-map-size-discussion/page/1#post_id845145

May be helpful.

That map size resource is incredibly handy and I'll be consulting it in the future. That original square box is what I used to get started and I'd have been lost without it in terms of scale, so I appreciate it's existence to whoever made it.

Quick question about the base to base section of that thread. When talking of Crossroads specifically, you say it's Base to Base distance is 230. Is that in a straight line? Because when you exit your base in Crossroads you are required to exit the base from the side, lengthening the time to contact and by extension creating a longer "actual" base to base distance (guesstimate would be maybe 250?). I only ask because I did a quick eyeball check of my map (Unfortunately I've already changed the base positions so this isn't concrete) but it appeared to be about 225. (I've since pulled mine back to 255 with further room to tweak in an internal playtest later this week). It might be worth mentioning that since you could have people using that resource accidently making their maps too small with front end exits.

23 Dec 2020, 17:40 PM

Thanks for the reply! I responded in the map size post. Best of luck on the map!

Did you see the games Elpern and The Angry Dutchman played on stream yesterday? I think they felt it was a little small and there was some talk about the position of sight blockers on the sides being right they would expect to place units. I did not get to see it all so you should check it out if you missed it. There may be some good info there.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/846215174

23 Dec 2020, 18:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2020, 17:40 PMRosbone
Thanks for the reply! I responded in the map size post. Best of luck on the map!

Did you see the games Elpern and The Angry Dutchman played on stream yesterday? I think they felt it was a little small and there was some talk about the position of sight blockers on the sides being right they would expect to place units. I did not get to see it all so you should check it out if you missed it. There may be some good info there.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/846215174

Thank you and I did not! I'll check that out today! I should probably crank out this V.2 faster so I can get more updated feedback but I'm sure there's still tons of valuable information in that stream. I might start sidelining other projects harder to work more on this with the amount of attention it's receiving :D

Big ups to all you guys in the mapping community. The work you do is commendable. I've joined that discord by the way. Not quite sure what to do given I've used Discord a total of 4 times in my life but I'll figure it out.
23 Dec 2020, 18:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2020, 18:41 PMJPA32
I might start sidelining other projects harder to work more on this with the amount of attention it's receiving :D

It is VERY RARE for a new map to get anyone to even look at it. So having players like Orangepest, Elpern, and The Angry Dutchman give it a test is amazing and not the norm. So do not get discouraged if that all goes away.

In the past, Tric was the person who pushed new maps with mapping contests. And as of late, we have had AE, Stormless (KoH), and Olvadi really start pushing new maps. Which is very good to see. So hopefully the community is starting to look at testing new maps as a way to avoid garbage maps getting into automatch.

Discord is good for chatting and posting images right to discord (drag and drop, etc) so it is easy to work with when discussing maps.

Another thing I like to tell mappers is to add a version to your map. Since Coh2 takes a few minutes sometimes to sync its maps, players may get into issues of not having the correct version. So a version number in the name lets them troubleshoot that right away. You dont want a streamer fiddling around for 15 minutes just trying to play your map.

On the stream I think Elpern said there was a random red cover spot. I missed what it was. But the small branch object is bugged and it gives red cover. Its like Branch_small_03 or something. If you have those on the map.
24 Dec 2020, 08:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2020, 18:52 PMRosbone

It is VERY RARE for a new map to get anyone to even look at it. So having players like Orangepest, Elpern, and The Angry Dutchman give it a test is amazing and not the norm. So do not get discouraged if that all goes away.

Oh yeah I bet. It's all good if the attention does end up fading. I just find mapping a fun hobby to kill time with when I'm feeling creative. I'm hoping I can end up making the most of my 15 minutes to make something enjoyable for people to play. We're clearly not there yet but you gotta start somewhere.

Another thing I like to tell mappers is to add a version to your map. Since Coh2 takes a few minutes sometimes to sync its maps, players may get into issues of not having the correct version. So a version number in the name lets them troubleshoot that right away. You dont want a streamer fiddling around for 15 minutes just trying to play your map.

That's probably a good idea, will do for V2.

On the stream I think Elpern said there was a random red cover spot. I missed what it was. But the small branch object is bugged and it gives red cover. Its like Branch_small_03 or something. If you have those on the map.

Did an object check for small branch 3. I know all about it's wicked ways. Couldn't find anything. I've also made sure there's no random red cover splats anywhere. I think one of his conscripts was standing in the road so it was just telling him it was red cover when he was actually fine on the other 5 models. More on that Elpern vod I definitely learned a lot with live reactions of certain map elements. That area near the mid where the small houses are I've widened significantly to create less of a choke point. I've also gone ahead and added additional sight blockers up and down the mid to prevent such powerful MG and Scwhere positions. Similarly one of the things I've lost grasp of in parts of the map is proper visual scaling. Lot of large areas that technically feel small due to having nothing to break them up. I may do some extra research on existing maps to get a better feel and idea of what kind of sightlines should exist.
24 Dec 2020, 15:45 PM

You sound well on your way!

When the next version is ready you can post the steam link on the Discord in MAPS-WIP and ask @WhiteFlashReborn to make a post for it on the Discord. He runs the Discord Server.

Since you got people interested here, I would continue to post here also.
30 Dec 2020, 23:12 PM

Hello! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Everyone! With the wonderful amount of feedback received over the past week. I've been hard at work doing a full rework of Overloon Fields to better fit the mold of what a competitive CoH2 map should be. Hopefully with the new wealth of information I've gleaned from
everyone this iteration of the map should prove much more enjoyable to play.

All Feedback is still welcome and encouraged. I take every piece to heart so that I can put my effort into making the best damn CoH2 map I can. Change log below in a spoiler. :)

Overloon Fields V.2

9 Jan 2021, 19:49 PM

Will take a look at later!
9 Jan 2021, 20:40 PM

Will take a look at later!

Truly appreciate the effort you're going through to help out Orangepest :)

On top of your input, if you have any comments on cover situations (I've been told there should probably be a few more instances of relevant green cover which I think I agree with but I'm having trouble visualizing how and where it should be.)

Also coming eventually I'm going to be re-righting the borders of the map so they don't jut out as aggressively near the spawns. This will both make the map look better from the Tac-map and gives a little extra room to give minor adjustments to territory points with the additional space if needed. Would be interested to hear your input on that.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★