Login

russian armor

AOE damage in flanked cover

17 Nov 2020, 11:32 AM

Imagine a scenario where an infantry unit behind sandbags gets flanked by a tank, so the infantry is between the sandbags and the tank.

Is there some kind of additional damage being done here beyond the normal clumping effect? It often feels particularly lethal. If yes, what are the reasons for it?
17 Nov 2020, 12:02 PM

There are two type of cover direction and non direction.

Sandbags are not direction so when a vehicles move behind the cover infantry no longer benefits from cover.

To make thing even worse non accuracy projectiles have a chance of colliding with the cover and detonating reducing the "scatter" of the vehicles and thus they might do more damage.
17 Nov 2020, 12:03 PM

Shell scatter hits the sandbag and since sandbags is being hugged by inf, add these to up.
17 Nov 2020, 12:09 PM

Depending on tanks [and crush type], your infantry can also get run over by the tanks, which is also VERY lethal - some player underestimate that and believe it was some AoE attack..
17 Nov 2020, 12:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Nov 2020, 12:02 PMVipper

To make thing even worse non accuracy projectiles have a chance of colliding with the cover and detonating reducing the "scatter" of the vehicles and thus they might do more damage.

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Nov 2020, 12:03 PMKatitof
Shell scatter hits the sandbag and since sandbags is being hugged by inf, add these to up.

Thanks, this must be what I was thinking about. I think it makes intuitively more sense than I expected, too.
17 Nov 2020, 12:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Nov 2020, 12:10 PMsuora

Thanks, this must be what I was thinking about. I think it makes intuitively more sense than I expected, too.

Suggestion, do not use infatry with their backs "against the wall" (or other world objects) when facing weapon with explosive projectiles.
Pip
17 Nov 2020, 16:56 PM

I would assume tanks are also subject to the "Within 10 range to negate cover advantages" as well. If this is the case, if the tank is close enough to the cover, even if the Infantry are "behind" it, they'll still take full damage.
17 Nov 2020, 16:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Nov 2020, 16:56 PMPip
I would assume tanks are also subject to the "Within 10 range to negate cover advantages" as well. If this is the case, if the tank is close enough to the cover, even if the Infantry are "behind" it, they'll still take full damage.

Generally no, think only Luch does negate cover bellow range 10 but that has more accuracy based damage and less AOE damage.
Pip
17 Nov 2020, 17:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Nov 2020, 16:58 PMVipper

Generally no, think only Luch does negate cover bellow range 10 but that has more accuracy based damage and less AOE damage.

I wouldn't think only the Luchs is coded to ignore cover. Where have you read that?

Regardless of it being "Accuracy or AOE based", negating cover also includes the 50% damage reduction from Green, I don't think it's really THAT meaningful a distinction here. Even if the Luchs misses it's still perfectly able to damage units. It does have AOE damage, even if the AOE isn't that large.
17 Nov 2020, 17:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Nov 2020, 17:03 PMPip

I wouldn't think only the Luchs is coded to ignore cover. Where have you read that?

patchnotes:

We are also increasing the performance of Luchs when it closes in on enemy squads. With this change, the Luchs will ignore cover of nearby infantry units if driven up within 10m from them, (similar to small-arms fire weapons, i.e. the Point Blank mechanic)

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Nov 2020, 17:03 PMPip

Regardless of it being "Accuracy or AOE based", negating cover also includes the 50% damage reduction from Green, I don't think it's really THAT meaningful a distinction here. Even if the Luchs misses it's still perfectly able to damage units. It does have AOE damage, even if the AOE isn't that large.

Point here is that accuracy based weapons like luch's main gun suffer from both accuracy and damage reduction while the AOE accuracy penalty make little to no difference.

For istance a luch firing on squad in heavy cover at range 11 and up would do only 12.5% DPS while a T-70 firing on squad in heavy cover would do 0.5 damage (or even more because the entities would be closer than normal).
Pip
17 Nov 2020, 17:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Nov 2020, 17:13 PMVipper

patchnotes:

We are also increasing the performance of Luchs when it closes in on enemy squads. With this change, the Luchs will ignore cover of nearby infantry units if driven up within 10m from them, (similar to small-arms fire weapons, i.e. the Point Blank mechanic)

Interesting. Rather a strange case of inconsistency.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★