Login

russian armor

Power of grenades

29 Jul 2020, 13:00 PM

Hi guys,

I really want to know which type of grenade is the most powerful (damage and aoe wise) and which one is the least.
Or if someone could please "rank" them (of that kind of list already exists I would gladly look into it).

For example, I know that bundle grenade (falls, pgrens,...) does more damage than rifle grenade from grens.
I also know that brit or usf grenade is probably somewhere in between those 2 (at least it feels that way).

Thank you
29 Jul 2020, 14:00 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

You can make up your mind about that. Heavy gammon and satchels are basically the same, Tommy and USF nades are the same. Maybe I forgot a subtype but that are the most important ones.

Obviously price and fuse times differ. For satchels/gammons they are so long that you should not count of hitting infantry with those.

Personally I'd say the bundle is the overall best one. Long fuse but the large AoE makes up for it. And if your opponent is a little bit too late with dodging it, it does quite a lot of damage. It's exceptional for retreat wipes as well.

Rifle grenade is nice as well, although it is next to useless if you have a well microing opponent. It just often comes unexpected and is easier to pull off in chaotic situations.
29 Jul 2020, 14:07 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

As i don't think stats had been changed, then https://coh2db.com/stats/ should still work.

https://i.serealia.ca/files/coh2dps.html is more updated but doesn't list all elements.

You give 2 different scenarios (dmg + Aoe) and rank. Listing them based on dmg is simple but ranking them overall is harder as there are more variables (range, fuse, cost, unit using it, upgrade through vet, etc.)

With only dmg been consider i'll list different types of grenades (might get the grouping wrong in some case) affecting infantry

Blenderkorp (slowing down + dmg)
Stun grenades
Molotov/Fire grenade
Rear echelon Rifle grenade (upgrade, not sure about the bunker one)
Assault/Volley grenades
Comet Self crew grenade
Rifle Grenade Grenadier
SturmTiger grenade
Standard nade (Rifles, IS, Guards, etc.)
Comet/Churchill Grenade
Shock Nade
Bundle/Gammon bomb
Satchel/Heavy Gammon

Not sure if i miss anything.
MMX
29 Jul 2020, 14:29 PM

You can make up your mind about that. Heavy gammon and satchels are basically the same, Tommy and USF nades are the same. Maybe I forgot a subtype but that are the most important ones.

Obviously price and fuse times differ. For satchels/gammons they are so long that you should not count of hitting infantry with those.

Personally I'd say the bundle is the overall best one. Long fuse but the large AoE makes up for it. And if your opponent is a little bit too late with dodging it, it does quite a lot of damage. It's exceptional for retreat wipes as well.

Rifle grenade is nice as well, although it is next to useless if you have a well microing opponent. It just often comes unexpected and is easier to pull off in chaotic situations.

very interesting! from the graph it seems the satchel/heavy gammon should be kind of binary: it either instagibs anything within its aoe (unless in heavy cover) or does no damage at all. still i could swear i've seen units limp away from a satchel with a sliver of health left. can't check myself atm but is it possible that there is some other sort of damage penalty (e.g. from target tables or such) that would bring the far aoe dmg below the 80 dmg threshold?
29 Jul 2020, 14:36 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2020, 14:29 PMMMX

very interesting! from the graph it seems the satchel/heavy gammon should be kind of binary: it either instagibs anything within its aoe (unless in heavy cover) or does no damage at all. still i could swear i've seen units limp away from a satchel with a sliver of health left. can't check myself atm but is it possible that there is some other sort of damage penalty (e.g. from target tables or such) that would bring the far aoe dmg below the 80 dmg threshold?

I don't know about special target tables.

But this observation could also simply be explained by small arms fire. The model did not get any damage by the gammon bomb/satchel but by the squad throwing it. I don't think I could tell it apart in the game.

Demolition charges and goliaths are similar, and we recently had a discussion about the AVRE that exhibits the same characteristic of having lethal AoE and then suddenly 0.

I don't like the design of those profiles. There's a huge explosion animation that tears apart the models, but then the guy that stood half a meter further away seems to be completely fine with his life choices. It's so counter intuitive to play and also to just look at.
MMX
29 Jul 2020, 15:32 PM

I don't know about special target tables.

But this observation could also simply be explained by small arms fire. The model did not get any damage by the gammon bomb/satchel but by the squad throwing it. I don't think I could tell it apart in the game.

Demolition charges and goliaths are similar, and we recently had a discussion about the AVRE that exhibits the same characteristic of having lethal AoE and then suddenly 0.

I don't like the design of those profiles. There's a huge explosion animation that tears apart the models, but then the guy that stood half a meter further away seems to be completely fine with his life choices. It's so counter intuitive to play and also to just look at.

fair point about the observation bias. and i also fully agree the aoe curve, in particular for such extreme cases, isn't very well implemented in-game. a linear damage drop-off to zero between far and max aoe would be much more logical.
29 Jul 2020, 15:58 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2020, 15:32 PMMMX

fair point about the observation bias. and i also fully agree the aoe curve, in particular for such extreme cases, isn't very well implemented in-game. a linear damage drop-off to zero between far and max aoe would be much more logical.

Yes, the linear model would be better. But what I meant was actually that the far and max AoE should always be pushed below 80 for large caliber weapons. Most of these target infantry anyway, damage to vehicles can be solved via the close and mid range AoE.
29 Jul 2020, 16:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2020, 14:29 PMMMX

is it possible that there is some other sort of damage penalty (e.g. from target tables or such) that would bring the far aoe dmg below the 80 dmg threshold?

There is: satchels only deal .667x damage against enemy infantry. Though I believe the doctrinal Pioneer satchel is still set to deal less damage to axis, rather than allied, infantry. This was an oversight from copying the ability.
MMX
30 Jul 2020, 03:42 AM

There is: satchels only deal .667x damage against enemy infantry. Though I believe the doctrinal Pioneer satchel is still set to deal less damage to axis, rather than allied, infantry. This was an oversight from copying the ability.

ah, didn't know about those, thanks a lot for the info. sometimes these modifiers are hidden in pretty obscure locations within the game files (my personal favourite here being the moving scatter penalty), making it hard to keep track of or even locate them in the first place.
in this specific case, i assume the .667 multiplier would be enough to make the scatchel 'survivable' at the edge of the blast radius?
30 Jul 2020, 04:02 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2020, 03:42 AMMMX

Quite welcome! I was actually wrong: it's a 0.2x damage modifier, so even mid-range is survivable.

Those hidden modifiers are the worst. The game's code takes like twice as long to learn as it should because of them.
30 Jul 2020, 14:35 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

If it's not too much to ask, would like to see how the table looks like now with that hidden modifier.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★