Login

russian armor

World changing and Coh history

26 Apr 2020, 14:03 PM

A unbalanced game full of wacky overpowered units is fun for a time.

The problem is every unbalanced meta eventually gets solved, and you end up with the same strategy over and over. Unbalanced competitive games require constant injections of new content to survive. MTG is a good example.
26 Apr 2020, 14:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Apr 2020, 14:03 PMLago

It can always be fun, as long as everything is wacky and OP. As in: the game is designed that way. Company of Heroes Online was a great example of how both factions (only) had ridiculous and overpowered units and abilities and players fought fire with fire, and how it was all good fun as long as you didn't take it too serious.

It is however a design choice whether or not to make a game competitively based or fun based. It's similar to how for example PUBG and Fortnite have completely different takes on Battle Royale (competitive vs fun) and how both are (still) very popular. CoH2 has taken the competitive direction and that's definitely a good choice for a franchise that wants to be respected. However I still think CoH2 severely lacks "fun" content on the side (special game modes) and I always thought it was a shame CoHO got shut down because it was a breath of fresh air within the same core values and designs. Both designs have merit.
26 Apr 2020, 14:20 PM

Donno, DoW2 was fun for the whole lifespan and it always had OP units(anyone remember lightning claw terminators at release of the upgrade vs eldar? I was eldar main so...).

Damn, I miss DoW2.....
FU relic for killing the series with DoW3.
26 Apr 2020, 15:03 PM

A big problem was that CoH2 was not full of OP things, it had just a few OP things at a time, which killed veriety. I used to play game after game against Mech Assault T2 into StugE and tiger, then it was game after game of facing off against Tiger Ace. What made it worse was that it was pay2win content as well. You want to win vs Mech assault? Better spend a few bucks to buy Soviet Windustry to even the playing field.
26 Apr 2020, 17:00 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

It can always be fun, as long as everything is wacky and OP. As in: the game is designed that way. Company of Heroes Online was a great example of how both factions (only) had ridiculous and overpowered units and abilities and players fought fire with fire, and how it was all good fun as long as you didn't take it too serious.

It is however a design choice whether or not to make a game competitively based or fun based. It's similar to how for example PUBG and Fortnite have completely different takes on Battle Royale (competitive vs fun) and how both are (still) very popular. CoH2 has taken the competitive direction and that's definitely a good choice for a franchise that wants to be respected. However I still think CoH2 severely lacks "fun" content on the side (special game modes) and I always thought it was a shame CoHO got shut down because it was a breath of fresh air within the same core values and designs. Both designs have merit.

I think this was the problem.

A big problem was that CoH2 was not full of OP things, it had just a few OP things at a time, which killed veriety. I used to play game after game against Mech Assault T2 into StugE and tiger, then it was game after game of facing off against Tiger Ace. What made it worse was that it was pay2win content as well. You want to win vs Mech assault? Better spend a few bucks to buy Soviet Windustry to even the playing field.

26 Apr 2020, 18:59 PM

...your nearly shaking after a bad game.

That's half the reason I play.
26 Apr 2020, 19:33 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

And just because you mention Romeo, i would add an anecdote.

-Be me playing my first 1v1 game with OKW against Romeo USF.
-Crossing in the woods.

[00:09:38] Romeo: it's impossible
[00:09:40] Romeo: idk what to do
[00:09:41] Romeo: gg wp

It was not fun as USF to play against Kubel + SP + SwS push straight towards cut off.
It was not fun been based locked in Semoisky as USF, with ghost barb wire and a destroyed SwS blocking the bridge.
" " " " playing against Rifle Company, Soviet Industry, Elite, ISU/Ele commanders every game, Fortifications (turtle OKW into KT).

Long long "It was not fun..." depending on each patch.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★