Login

russian armor

help for 1v1

22 Apr 2020, 00:49 AM

Hi everyone,

As the titles state, I'm looking for help in playing 1v1. I am more of a fan of large team games, but it seems to be more difficult now to find games where people don't drop or suck even worse than I do.

Also, I wanted to hone my "personal" skills, rather than relying on teammates to help out. I prefer to play USF, since I prefer to play aggressively, but I have lost every single one of the 1v1 games I've played so far.

Granted, there's obviously a learning curve, but I am being outplayed rather badly. I will say however, that there seems to be much less toxicity in 1v1 games.

I just can't seem to keep up with resources; capping and maintaining my control over them. I'm not blobbing, I'm spread out over the map, avoiding enemy strong points and capping around them. Nothing seems to be working. I usually play Airborne, or Infantry (or whichever has the rangers and pershing). It's not even a contest; I just get pushed back steadily until I finally just GG.Mostly it seems to be against spam of some kind- MGs, SPs, or Ostruppen.

Any help is appreciated.
22 Apr 2020, 01:43 AM

Follow up question: is it better to tech to LT first ? I got accustomed to teching CPT first to support my team, but having my own MG earlier might be more useful
22 Apr 2020, 02:36 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

A replay can often help with issues you're struggling with. Uploading one will help greatly with aid.

Can't say a whole lot without seeing what's up, build orders, or micro issues, but I can say that if you're having issues where you're spreading too thin, focus on taking 1 side (usually your natural fuel) and going from there.

Depending on rank it may or may not matter which officer you tech. Pak howis are incredibly strong currently but the 50 cal is superb as well. I like to go LT vs OKW and CPT vs OST. LT to get MGs to control the OKW horde and m20 for the long range bleed. Stuart is great light vehicle control but gets out ranged by the puma. If you catch the puma around a corner though you can stun and blind it and maybe even kill it with stuart.

I prefer CPT vs OST because pak howis ruin 4 man LMG grens as does the AAHT. The AAHT can also easily destroy 1 222 or even 2 if you get a bit lucky. The AAHT needs to be stationary to stand a chance to kill the 222 though so the 37mm cannon fires.

Late game you have some of the best and most cost efficient tanks in the game. The HE sherman is a true wipe machine with the highest AoE per round on HE as well as respectable penetration power on AP. The jackson is unparalleled in its lethality and mobility combination. Any tank has to respect a jackson or risk being chased down. Scotts are incredibly frustrating to your opponents as they fire from tank destroyer range at infantry. They're extremely hard to kill if microed correctly. The only thing you truely lack in the stock arsenal is rocket artillery from the Calliope. Without it it can be difficult to deal with raketen and pak walls.

Get your upgrades when you can and remember to use officer smoke. The captains "On me!" ability is a FREE suppression breaker for 1 squad while boosting accuracy and lowering received accuracy (defense vs small arms). Many players don't expect a pinned rifleman or ranger to suddenly get up and throw a grenade, so spam it to your hearts content.

I won't say the pershing is bad, but it's not what it used to be before the most recent patch. Airborne is fun but semi niche. Thompson paratroopers have the best DPS in the game with tactical assualt. I don't recommend infantry company since the priest isn't really required for 1v1, but if you're looking for LMGs then try out tactical support if you have it. It has both LMGs and the calliope.
22 Apr 2020, 12:06 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm not blobbing, I'm spread out over the map, avoiding enemy strong points and capping around them.
Any help is appreciated.

You shouldn't do that.

Sometime during each and every game, you must blobb (not necessarily all your units) to force off your opponent from a strategic point to get it under your control and sometimes you should spread around the map, avoid fight and cap.

Don't look at the people who blobb as sick, they're also learning. Point is you must learn in parallel when to blobb and how to get to the superior stage of blobbing in which you're able to control each squad of the blob with different orders, position, flanking route until you realize you're not blobbing anymore.
You also need to learn how to counter blob, to retreat in time when the fight is at your disadvantage, how to punish blobbing. You can lure a blobb somewhere and outcap your opponent so you get more resource than him

In 1vs1, you can't defend half of the map effectively before having a superior popcap (before having killed some of his squads so his popcap is significantly lower), the game is more about a wave move, you wave your army to right to cap /decap your opponent, then you wave to the left because he obviously went left to get some territory back.
So you do it faster and faster and smarter until you're so fast and smart in your move than you opponent don't have time to go left or right before you do. You outplayed him and you win.

You must know the maps, choke points, where to be and where to flank, where to put a mine etc..

Then it is also about your BO and what your use. You like Airborn then make sure you use at max potential your pathfinder to scout for HMGs, pak or rack, you pick the fight you want. You play Pershing, then use the smoke, you can't scout that much but if there is a HMGs, smoke and flank. etc...

Have replays if you want more help.

24 Apr 2020, 00:27 AM

sounds good, thanks for the advice
26 Apr 2020, 02:59 AM

well, it seems like you don't have a purpose of fight. You have to gain something by your fight, you don't spread out your troops before defeating the enemy. Like you said, they will just circle you easily, and your rifleman can't work as a combined force
28 Apr 2020, 19:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Apr 2020, 02:59 AMsoyonbo
well, it seems like you don't have a purpose of fight. You have to gain something by your fight, you don't spread out your troops before defeating the enemy. Like you said, they will just circle you easily, and your rifleman can't work as a combined force

On the contrary- as you said, I don't fight for no reason and my original post states that I avoid fighting in the early stages in favour of capping. If necessary, I try to group units together, but I either get outgunned or outcapped. I've played a few more games since this post, and I do need to get better at being everywhere at once, it seems; which is a change from team games where you mind your own area.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★