Login

russian armor

Mobile Defense Puma question

11 Apr 2020, 14:18 PM

Hello everyone,

As everyone is aware Mobile Defense is back and has been quite popular in automatch and in streams where people are now attempting to flesh out this new "Mobile Defense meta" if possible. However one aspect which has become apparent is that the Puma at 5CP arrives in quite the late stage, far later than the OKW Puma would show up after the Luchs. Therefore I wanted to make a thread and ask what people's strategies in the top 200 1v1 are for the new Mobile Defense.

For me I tried to use both the Flame HT and the 222 before calling in the Puma, but calling in both by the 6 min mark and having to wait until the 10min mark (give or take 2 mins) is a pretty huge window for an AEC/Stuart/T70/SU76 to come up and ruin your day. It just feels super weird when you have the resources for the Puma and you desperately need it but you are at 3.5/4 CP still. Yesterday for example vs Brits I got to 5CP when I built the T3 structure and had the StuGG ready to build because I had enough fuel for it, and that was with split fuel control all game and a 222 and flame HT built. Having said that I do find the Puma very useful for Ostheer since it can hunt down and kill the T70/T34/M4/Cromwell/M36 when the StuGG is not mobile enough to do it, but in essence it feels like the Puma timing was actually pushed further into the late game than forward.
11 Apr 2020, 14:29 PM

That's the whole point of the current implementation - it was made more accessible, but it doesn't invalidates certain units before they are even built as it used to back in the day.

Units you've mentioned, except SU-76 already have 2-3 minute window of opportunity and puma hardcounters them badly, so it can't arrive the moment they do, but you can use it when you're behind against meds(after you've lost your fuel for bit too long) or later after the lights.

Yes, OKW one arrives faster, but OKW gives up healing and is itself reliant on aggressive play, so it will never come out before P2.
11 Apr 2020, 14:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2020, 14:29 PMKatitof
snip

This isn't a balance thread.
11 Apr 2020, 14:42 PM

This isn't a balance thread.

:huhsign::hijack::jk::foreveralone:
11 Apr 2020, 14:48 PM
11 Apr 2020, 14:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2020, 14:48 PMLago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11otLec00mo

That's Von using it in GCS2.

I'm not 222 spamming, it's a meme strat.
11 Apr 2020, 16:08 PM

Then you'll have to come up with something new.

The Mobidef meta was T2 vehicle spam. Von would build 3-4 222s into Puma, DevM would build double 222 double FHT into Puma. You overwhelm the opponent with sheer volume of Ostheer's dirt cheap light vehicles, and then you kill the counter with the Puma.

Call it a meme strat all you want, it was top level tournament meta.
11 Apr 2020, 16:46 PM

What is wrong with meme strats? The game doesn't have that much depth in terms of build order so I am not sure what you are looking for if you don't want to go off meta.
11 Apr 2020, 16:57 PM

Then don't use meme doctrine?
Whole point of mobidef panic puma was you could be EXTREMELY aggressive with lights in early game and NOT punished by med by getting puma, it was never used to fend off other lights.
11 Apr 2020, 20:17 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

There's 2 approaches to Mobile Def:

-Play to not lose.
Select Mobile Def because you are behind and are afraid of the incoming T70. Back then both the AEC and the Stuart had better AI capabilities, therefore it was a good option against all 3 factions. Nowadays i would say it would be an over reaction unless playing against soviets.

-Play to win.
Hyper aggressive T2 play with lots of light vehicles. 222s and FHT. When you play aggressively you gain more CP.
11 Apr 2020, 20:32 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Imo it arrives too late. Stuart / Bren + AEC at roughly 2 CP in an average game require AT gun tech, getting a puma in addition (+ picking a doctrine) at 5 CP isn't really worth it because at that time the threat is usually contained and you want to tech up for a P4.

The whole binding to CPs is wrong in my opinion. A different approach like USF LT + extfa tech option for light vehicles would suit it better with no CP requirement. I also dislike how the puma needs to be built, but the Valentine doesn't get the same treatment.
11 Apr 2020, 23:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2020, 20:32 PMluvnest
Imo it arrives too late. Stuart / Bren + AEC at roughly 2 CP in an average game require AT gun tech, getting a puma in addition (+ picking a doctrine) at 5 CP isn't really worth it because at that time the threat is usually contained and you want to tech up for a P4.

The whole binding to CPs is wrong in my opinion. A different approach like USF LT + extfa tech option for light vehicles would suit it better with no CP requirement. I also dislike how the puma needs to be built, but the Valentine doesn't get the same treatment.

I'd say the USF way isn't exactly a good solution either, considering the fact that Greyhound got the exact same 5cp treatment, arriving way past its viable time.
12 Apr 2020, 03:50 AM

Puma should be call-in 4cp

also greyhound should be call- in 3cp

12 Apr 2020, 05:22 AM

Permanently Banned
Yes 5cp puma is too late. Talk about getting the short end of the stick. Ost gets a doctrinal unit that OKW gets for stock, oh wait, like the OKW p4.

And it's obvious puma at 5 cp is wrong, because Katitof got triggered so fast because in the back of his mind, he knows that puma should be locked behind 5cp.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★