Login

russian armor

Balance Patch- First Impressions

13 Nov 2013, 10:49 AM

I thought I'd make this thread as a place where I can put my current thoughts after a few games of playing the patch, against both the new doctrines and old but mostly the new in a 1v1 scenario.

Watching the balance video and watching the goals of this balance patch I can actually see, from a balance perspective, this patch was a success. Sure, some things need to be ironed out, and there are still some issues that are yet to be addressed, but the community is doing a fine job highlighting these so I won't go into specifics. So to the balance team, in terms of this patch objective consider it a job well done.

However, the issues that have arisen from the introduction of the new doctrines far overshadow the good work that the balance team have done in this patch. Pricing aside, the new doctrines are far too powerful, and honestly, it feels a bit sloppy. From all reports, all of the commanders are too powerful in some way. Sure, they're possible to beat, but I've lost nearly every game against someone who has had the new commanders because they're so great. I don't think the intention was p2win, but it certainly felt like after a few games that I was very, very cheated. Never before had I lost a coh2 match and left genuinely angry that I lost, not because I was outsmarted or played badly, but because someone had paid to do it. That's what it felt like, regardless of intention.

As this is first impressions I will leave detailed analysis for later and upon request, but in all honestly this was an absolute disaster of a patch. Previous patches have moved things maybe temporarily in the wrong direction but I understood that things like this happen. However, I can say with full conviction that this patch was released half cocked and half loaded; completely rushed. I can't blame the balance department because I assume that the people who release new content work in a different division, but regardless I can see much of the balance work unravelled by new content and it disappoints me. Furthermore, as a beta tester, I felt that the general consensus was that the new doctrines were good, but needed much balance work to be released. Regardless, in the haste to make more content to keep people involved, serious oversights and blunders have been made. I really hope that these issues are fixed quickly.

Any comments or discussion appreciated,

Calstifer.
13 Nov 2013, 10:53 AM
Benefactor 115

the "you need to adapt" replies are coming
13 Nov 2013, 10:57 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Nov 2013, 10:53 AMtuvok
the "you need to adapt" replies are coming

It's very well possible I do, but I still felt much more overwhelmed playing this than any other patch before. One game a tiger ace came in last minute, bowled down 4 At guns, and despite the fact there was 15VP's left and he had no infantry, just sat in my base and destroyed it. He still had 3/4 health. I understand the problems with deploying a Tiger Ace, but the opportunity to base rush is too great.
13 Nov 2013, 11:01 AM

1000+
the commanders are rushed, they need to be pulled back and relaunched when fixed
13 Nov 2013, 11:03 AM
Benefactor 115

It's very well possible I do, but I still felt much more overwhelmed playing this than any other patch before. One game a tiger ace came in last minute, bowled down 4 At guns, and despite the fact there was 15VP's left and he had no infantry, just sat in my base and destroyed it. He still had 3/4 health. I understand the problems with deploying a Tiger Ace, but the opportunity to base rush is too great.

the thing is that the doctrine is easy to spot so you always know when an Ace will come. Just mine up your base/approaches
13 Nov 2013, 11:03 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Nov 2013, 11:03 AMtuvok

the thing is that the doctrine is easy to spot so you always know when an Ace will come. Just mine up your base/approaches

Good idea, I attempted to do just that. He could still crawl into my base, however.

Regardless, this is just semantics.
13 Nov 2013, 11:06 AM
Benefactor 115

does an su85 with forward focus outrange it?
13 Nov 2013, 11:16 AM

I don't know. I was T2 regardless.
13 Nov 2013, 12:43 PM

Having played with new paid Soviet Commander I agree with OP.
New commanders outshine old ones.
13 Nov 2013, 14:38 PM

It's a shame, because the changes to veterancy and buildings are really good. But then they have to introduce two overpowered commanders that throw everything into the gutter. The free commanders aren't bad, Luftwaffe is a big increase in ressources but it's manageable, Partisans are a poor man's shock troops, but Soviet Industry is T70 rush land, and Elite Units is just too powerful in general.
13 Nov 2013, 20:21 PM

Watching the balance video and watching the goals of this balance patch I can actually see, from a balance perspective, this patch was a success. Sure, some things need to be ironed out, and there are still some issues that are yet to be addressed, but the community is doing a fine job highlighting these so I won't go into specifics. So to the balance team, in terms of this patch objective consider it a job well done.

However, the issues that have arisen from the introduction of the new doctrines far overshadow the good work that the balance team have done in this patch. Pricing aside, the new doctrines are far too powerful, and honestly, it feels a bit sloppy. From all reports, all of the commanders are too powerful in some way. Sure, they're possible to beat, but I've lost nearly every game against someone who has had the new commanders because they're so great. I don't think the intention was p2win, but it certainly felt like after a few games that I was very, very cheated. Never before had I lost a coh2 match and left genuinely angry that I lost, not because I was outsmarted or played badly, but because someone had paid to do it. That's what it felt like, regardless of intention.

As this is first impressions I will leave detailed analysis for later and upon request, but in all honestly this was an absolute disaster of a patch. Previous patches have moved things maybe temporarily in the wrong direction but I understood that things like this happen. However, I can say with full conviction that this patch was released half cocked and half loaded; completely rushed. I can't blame the balance department because I assume that the people who release new content work in a different division, but regardless I can see much of the balance work unravelled by new content and it disappoints me. Furthermore, as a beta tester, I felt that the general consensus was that the new doctrines were good, but needed much balance work to be released. Regardless, in the haste to make more content to keep people involved, serious oversights and blunders have been made. I really hope that these issues are fixed quickly.

The bolded part completely reflects my own opinions. I haven't really played much yet because my internet's cutting out every ten minutes but that seems to be the conclusion I'd draw from watching streams.
13 Nov 2013, 22:44 PM
Patrion 14

This patch with regard to tank vet defies logic.

For example:
Both the p4 and panther (regardless of it's already very high armour of 270) receive a 30% armour increase at vet2. As it stands SU85s already have a hard time penetrating them or winning an engagement. With the increase panthers receive an armour value of 351. The only other tank beating that value is the Elefant (the tiger has an armour value of 300 and does not receive any additional armour with vet).

To magnify the issue the zis gun is the only at receiving an increase in penetration at vet3. No other at option (true for all Soviet vehicles) receives either an increase to it's survivability (disregarding speed, since the limiting factor is always the pathfinding which causes tanks to stop, realign, start, stop...) or penetration.

I like this change for how much value it gives to the panther and all other medium tanks, but coming from 2 team games where I tried to face panthers and p4s, it is rather frustrating if you're on the receiving end.

I haven't tried it in a 1v1 environment yet, but the p4 (being the standard unit to build) might cause similar problems.
14 Nov 2013, 01:16 AM
Patrion 14

sorry, double post
14 Nov 2013, 05:39 AM

Con!,

If you played COH you would know that before the game was "stale", as you understand it, it was almost unplayable because Relic refused for the longest time to do anything about Kangaroos being into your base by 7 minutes and then crushing your troops over and over again. Before that, trenches and gliders crushed all your people. The PE infantry spam and ACs were ridiculous. ToV represents this shift where relic nose dived from legendary to comically insane.

VCoH and CoH+TOV were done by separate teams if I remember correctly. The TOV expansion caused ridiculous problems to the game essentially ruining a perfect rts and running off over 3/4s of the initial community.

Guess who is in charge of this game? The track record simply isn't there. Nothing that they have said or done in this game thus far has been anything to the contrary of a big fucking letdown and this is about to make it even worse.

Mark my words.
14 Nov 2013, 05:50 AM

@sherlock, The 30% armor increase for P4 and Panther at vet 2 is actually substantially less than the vet 2 bonus that all German tanks got at vet 2. So, this is an overall nerf to vet 2's defensive buffs. And to be honest the P4 needs that vet 2 buff.

@Dave, get over yourself and actually type in a post, or get lost and leave the community if you're still that butthurt. If you've devolved to the point where you can't even type a decent response, then you've reached a point where your limited time in life is better spent doing other things than hanging around a forum for a game you clearly hate.
14 Nov 2013, 19:21 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Nov 2013, 05:50 AMTurtle
@sherlock, The 30% armor increase for P4 and Panther at vet 2 is actually substantially less than the vet 2 bonus that all German tanks got at vet 2. So, this is an overall nerf to vet 2's defensive buffs. And to be honest the P4 needs that vet 2 buff.

I wasn't questioning the validity of the armour increase for the p4 (my last comment was, as noted, hypothetical and not backed up by any experience, as noted as well). My sole point was the fact that it defies logic that the panther would receive a higher armour rating than the tiger tank (only beaten by the elefant's armour).

The fact that a medium classed tank has a higher armour rating than a heavy tank (call-in) to me defies logic (unless the words medium and heavy reference something else than the value of the armour). ;)
14 Nov 2013, 19:58 PM

Panther's front armor.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight