Login

russian armor

Newbie Needs Your Help

7 Feb 2020, 10:29 AM

I have been having a hard time since I started playing. I just can't seem to win matches that go into the late game. Multiple times I have lost to an enemy that has 50-100 VP. Either I win in early to mid game or just suffer later. I finally said to myself I need help so I came to the forums. I have played around 100 hours not including the soviet campaign. Here is the link to the replay.

Replay:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d4J-Jpm28rKsnKJIbTquC7pV8Cyx1I5u/view?usp=drivesdk

I have tryed improving with watching 'tightrope' and 'helping hans' on youtube plus 'luvnest' on twitch. I guess I'll have to watch them more and learn. Also read coh2.org forums and other guides on the internet.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong. I seem to not have any form of plan during the late game. Also I would rather lose by getting my ass kicked from a dominant player than like this, having a lead and the losing on the very end. Honestly, it hurts emotionally too much losing this way, as it would in any other activity.

Thank You.

Edit:

7 Feb 2020, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Hey there,

Go ahead and upload the replay to CoH2.org here. It will make replay reviews easier.

Also, remember to use this:

This link will make it easier to find your replay.
7 Feb 2020, 12:05 PM

Hey there,

Go ahead and upload the replay to CoH2.org here. It will make replay reviews easier.

Also, remember to use this:

This link will make it easier to find your replay.

Done. Thanks for the information.
7 Feb 2020, 12:15 PM

Hey man, I suggest starting off with 2v2, once you start feeling comfortable and get to know every unit and ability it has to offer switch to 1v1 (2v2 has more players afaik so games are sort of balanced) If you want to you can add me and I can explain you thing or two :)
7 Feb 2020, 12:26 PM

without watching the replay just a few notes:
dont be discouraged, you have reached the next step - learning the late game.
That needs, first of all, experience more than anything else.
You need to learn patience and when to be be aggressive. You need a decent overview over the battlefield, try to adapt your own unit composition to your opponent and his set up.
Watch your own replays and pro player streams and how they handle the late game and i can assure you, you will get better at it :)
7 Feb 2020, 12:41 PM

without watching the replay just a few notes:
dont be discouraged, you have reached the next step - learning the late game.
That needs, first of all, experience more than anything else.
You need to learn patience and when to be be aggressive. You need a decent overview over the battlefield, try to adapt your own unit composition to your opponent and his set up.
Watch your own replays and pro player streams and how they handle the late game and i can assure you, you will get better at it :)

I won't! Thanks! But it can be frustrating and discouraging when you put so much effort and then your opponent gets your with his/her 75 VP. You get tiered during until the late game, don't know how opponent doesn't...

Something I realized few hours ago and which you mentioned here is that I have been so focus on the early game and mid game, that I completely forgot abut the late game. I was always looking to perfect my flanking, build orders, counter tactic and generally while watching on YouTube just trying to memorize the movement and engagement early on.

I will start paying more attention to late game.
7 Feb 2020, 13:44 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Early Game
1) Why no Pathfinders? They are solid at range, glue them to a Riflemen squad. Also, the extra line-of-sight they have is invaluable to avoid bad engagements (e.g. retreating your M1 ATG from incoming blobs, running your Stuart from the incoming Puma).
2) You teched for LT, but paradropped an M2HB. Sure, it does cost less manpower (125MP + 4 RE models (80MP), for a total of 205MP), but the munitions that it costs (50MU) is invaluable, especially because you went for grenades. 50MU is one to two grenades, which could have won you one or two fights and saved you more MP is the long run. Paradropping an M1 ATG (after you got your Stuart) and using it to support your vehicles would have been a better choice, as it would stop your opponent from being too aggressive with his Puma (e.g. jumping on your Stuart).

Mid Game
1) You tech weapon racks at around 14 min, but got your first wepaon (Bazookas) near 30 min. The main issue is that you have no munitions in the bank to upgrade your units. Try to time the upgrade; this way you can get a massive powerspike in terms of infantry firepower (e.g. save 180MU, get 3 BARs at the same time). Also, grenades work when your opponent isn't paying attention. Thus, I ususally tech weapon racks first, then (if I'm floating munitions like crazy in the late game) I tech grenades to capitalize on late-game fatigue.
2) You dropped an M2HB near the right fuel at the 28min mark, but didn't immediately crew it (and it got stolen at around 29min). With how your opponent blobs his Volks, that one action could have won you the engagement.
3) Your opponent got a Stuka by 20min but never used it until 37min. Consider yourself lucky he forgot (or it would have wreaked havoc on your team weapons).

Late Game
1) Concentrate your forces. Angoville is an odd map (as it has no middle "lane", and instead has left and right), so focus on just one side of the map (and poke into the other side when you are strong). On conventional maps with left, mid, and right, focus on just two parts. This is especially true when you are behind (e.g. your opponent wiped a lot of squads or destroyed a lot of vehicles). Sending one Rifleman to the right for no reason nearly got it killed (and you could have used it to help hold off your opponent's Volk blob that pushed you out of the game).

TL;DR
Team weapon usage
Your team weapon usage is why you lost this game.
Never use team weapons alone (unless it's the late game and you need to lock down a VP with an HMG while you try to win the other VPs). Always use them in conjuntion with other things, like infantry, other team weapons, vehicles, you name it. They are support weapons, designed to support your other units. They don't work very well alone (e.g. they get flanked, die, and then get they get stolen).
Don't leave them stationary either (e.g. M2HB camping right fuel/right VP for most of early game, M1 ATG camping left side of map while your M4A3 Sherman died to a Puma and a faust); use them to support your attacks as well. As an example, your opponent did this very well at around the 25min mark: M2HB and M1 ATG (both stolen, FeelsBadMan) supporting his 3 Volks and Puma.
Also, because ATGs suck against infantry, toggle on "Prioritize Vehicle" so they don't waste shots. near the end of the game, your M1 shot at an infantry squad and gave your opponent's Panzer IV the opening to flank it.

Next game, focus on improving this one aspect of your play. Constantly ask yourself, "Where are my team weapons?" "What am I doing with my team weapons?"

Good luck on the battlefield!
7 Feb 2020, 14:40 PM

without watching but by reading atomic rockets, try focus on bars in the early game if you have no munition for weapon upgrates your inf bleeds too much in the mid-lategame. Rule of thumb is to get nades after you upgrated your inf in the latter part of the game, where it is harder for the opponent to keep track of all his units.
7 Feb 2020, 16:43 PM

Early Game
1) Why no Pathfinders? They are solid at range, glue them to a Riflemen squad. Also, the extra line-of-sight they have is invaluable to avoid bad engagements (e.g. retreating your M1 ATG from incoming blobs, running your Stuart from the incoming Puma).
2) You teched for LT, but paradropped an M2HB. Sure, it does cost less manpower (125MP + 4 RE models (80MP), for a total of 205MP), but the munitions that it costs (50MU) is invaluable, especially because you went for grenades. 50MU is one to two grenades, which could have won you one or two fights and saved you more MP is the long run. Paradropping an M1 ATG (after you got your Stuart) and using it to support your vehicles would have been a better choice, as it would stop your opponent from being too aggressive with his Puma (e.g. jumping on your Stuart).

Mid Game
1) You tech weapon racks at around 14 min, but got your first wepaon (Bazookas) near 30 min. The main issue is that you have no munitions in the bank to upgrade your units. Try to time the upgrade; this way you can get a massive powerspike in terms of infantry firepower (e.g. save 180MU, get 3 BARs at the same time). Also, grenades work when your opponent isn't paying attention. Thus, I ususally tech weapon racks first, then (if I'm floating munitions like crazy in the late game) I tech grenades to capitalize on late-game fatigue.
2) You dropped an M2HB near the right fuel at the 28min mark, but didn't immediately crew it (and it got stolen at around 29min). With how your opponent blobs his Volks, that one action could have won you the engagement.
3) Your opponent got a Stuka by 20min but never used it until 37min. Consider yourself lucky he forgot (or it would have wreaked havoc on your team weapons).

Late Game
1) Concentrate your forces. Angoville is an odd map (as it has no middle "lane", and instead has left and right), so focus on just one side of the map (and poke into the other side when you are strong). On conventional maps with left, mid, and right, focus on just two parts. This is especially true when you are behind (e.g. your opponent wiped a lot of squads or destroyed a lot of vehicles). Sending one Rifleman to the right for no reason nearly got it killed (and you could have used it to help hold off your opponent's Volk blob that pushed you out of the game).

TL;DR
Team weapon usage
Your team weapon usage is why you lost this game.
Never use team weapons alone (unless it's the late game and you need to lock down a VP with an HMG while you try to win the other VPs). Always use them in conjuntion with other things, like infantry, other team weapons, vehicles, you name it. They are support weapons, designed to support your other units. They don't work very well alone (e.g. they get flanked, die, and then get they get stolen).
Don't leave them stationary either (e.g. M2HB camping right fuel/right VP for most of early game, M1 ATG camping left side of map while your M4A3 Sherman died to a Puma and a faust); use them to support your attacks as well. As an example, your opponent did this very well at around the 25min mark: M2HB and M1 ATG (both stolen, FeelsBadMan) supporting his 3 Volks and Puma.
Also, because ATGs suck against infantry, toggle on "Prioritize Vehicle" so they don't waste shots. near the end of the game, your M1 shot at an infantry squad and gave your opponent's Panzer IV the opening to flank it.

Next game, focus on improving this one aspect of your play. Constantly ask yourself, "Where are my team weapons?" "What am I doing with my team weapons?"

Good luck on the battlefield!

Your review makes a lot of sense.

I will start using my support weapon not just for defending VP and fuel, but for the attack to support my push. Also, won't keep them alone as I did this and got flanked many times and even lost too many to count.

Pathfinders, hm. I will test that. Somehow I feel 3 Rifleman squad is more effective at the beginning, but will see.

Also, I have used a lot of grenades so I was left with no ammo to upgrade my Rifleman with BARs.

Will do more 'Concentrate your forces.' in the late game. You are right.

Thanks for taking time to post a comment and read. It really helps and it was a reason why I went to the forum.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★