Login

russian armor

How I feel about paid commanders.

11 Nov 2013, 21:18 PM

You Need to buy the DLC commanders sooner or later because the game starts to get boring without new Units.That was relics idea behind all this.
11 Nov 2013, 21:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Nov 2013, 21:08 PMwooof

why does this post make no sense?

first of all, coh2 was a complete game upon release. it may not have lived up to what people expected, but it had full campaign and multiplayer. "but it didnt have what vcoh had" and thats also not what defines a full game. this is a different game and people should accept that. besides, relic is working to add some of the features people are requesting.

secondly, none of the paid dlc is required to play or enjoy this game. if you want more singleplayer missions, you can buy ToW. if you only like multiplayer and want new options, you can buy commanders. if you dont want to, theres no reason you cant play without these.

you also compare this to magicka, which makes no sense. its a small indie title which has 20+ pieces of dlc that more than triples the cost of the game. i fail to see the relevance of that comparison. by your logic, magicka was incomplete upon release because they added dlc. magicka also released a dlc over 2 years after the game, so it made you wait over 2 years to get the full experience. just because its a cheap indie title its ok?

it makes no sense because i did not make the efort to organize my ideas, i am kind of sneaking up to post this at this time.

i compare it to magicka. because is a game that i feel. well priced. for the content it provides. buying robes did not took away some of the game from you. and the most expensive dlc that it had provided campaigns and were priced accordingly to its extension. magicka was indeed a complete game when it was made and the dlc were actual expansions that did not feel planned. (or they tricked me wery well into believing that)

COH was a game that was planned to be sold by parts so that people picked what they wanted to buy. the problem is not the game as a service the problem was that i was badly implemented and poorly worded. COH2 as a game is not bad, i like it a lot. but the business model implementation was crap and the one that made it needs to go back to school.

also im more interested in the concept of games as a service because arguing about DLC collector edition kind of stuff here barely picks my interest anymore.
11 Nov 2013, 21:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Nov 2013, 21:18 PMAffe
You Need to buy the DLC commanders sooner or later because the game starts to get boring without new Units.That was relics idea behind all this.

the game is pretty fun without the commanders. what you feel is the emptiness of a collector with an incomplete collection looking at the item they are looking for.
11 Nov 2013, 22:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Nov 2013, 03:11 AMNoun
I think the idea of comparing this with Call of Duty or Battlefield is a bit off the mark. We're really looking at games as a service more than a title that gets a new full priced game every year or two. We're not going to drop a $70 CoH 3 next year. We intend to support CoH 2 for the long term, even more effectively than we did with the original.

We know that some people don't like DLC, and sometimes that's a fair opinion to have. But what items like the Commanders allow us to do is offer a greater level of support to the base game than we'd have been able to in the past. Free content like new maps, the World Builder and features like Steam Chat lobbies are all built off of support from the DLC. The Turning Point Update is a huge free update to the game, and there's content in there that would not exist if it weren't for paid DLC.

CoH2 was a full game on release, nothing was held back from it. It had as robust a single player campaign as the first, a multiplayer mode like the first and an entire new play experience with Theater of War which lets players play pre-set AI battles and co-op.

We have a long roadmap for the game, and we hope you guys will stick around. There's no need to buy all of the DLC, we don't expect everyone to. Just like we designed the original expansion packs for CoH to be useable if you didn't have the base game and for players who didn't buy the expansion packs to be able to play against those that did, we're dedicated to making sure everyone has a great experience no matter what version of the game or what additional content they may have.

We hope you like the game, we've got really great plans for it.

so how about the people who bought your 100USD CE edition, you got really a great plan for them as well?
11 Nov 2013, 23:00 PM
Donator 11

Im sorry if I sound ungratefull, but I find some of the free content a poor justification for the DLC direction of the game.

Its great that you add new maps, a worldbuilder and a chat, but this is all features you would expect from a COH game to begin with. When you release a game stripped of some of the most basic multiplayeroptions, I really dont think reintroducing some of them justifies the DLCs.

+100
11 Nov 2013, 23:13 PM

Permanently Banned
Im so glad I won the game for free and didn't pay a single dollar to Reich, I mean Relic. The only way Relic will learn is if people stop buying their DLC commanders.
11 Nov 2013, 23:33 PM
Patrion 14

+100

+100.000.000
12 Nov 2013, 00:09 AM

I can see both sides.

However, once the game gets a reputation for P2W then the game will die real quick because it will put off competitive players. And when I first loaded up the game, it did LOOK like P2W. Just sayin'.
12 Nov 2013, 04:52 AM

I can see both sides.

However, once the game gets a reputation for P2W then the game will die real quick because it will put off competitive players. And when I first loaded up the game, it did LOOK like P2W. Just sayin'.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a ducks.. looks like a duck..
12 Nov 2013, 05:40 AM

If it walks like a duck, talks like a ducks.. looks like a duck..

smells like a duck, testes like a duck
12 Nov 2013, 06:09 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Nov 2013, 05:40 AMUGBEAR

smells like a duck, testes like a duck

coh2 DLC under a microscope. :)

Coh2 DLC when Bought :P

just in case you wondered what a duck testes look like. mmm :D
12 Nov 2013, 09:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Nov 2013, 06:09 AMWiFiDi

coh2 DLC under a microscope. :)

Coh2 DLC when Bought :P

just in case you wondered what a duck testes look like. mmm :D

My .... my.... relatives!!! :faint:
12 Nov 2013, 11:25 AM
Patrion 27

I feel like the vanilla roster of commanders in COH2 can counter any of the DLC commanders just fine. I don't think the "Pay to win" idea translates to balance as much as enjoyment.

The thing is, even if I have to pay $4 for a commander that's the price of a latte and a latte only lasts minutes. Relic has been patching and improving this game at a fervorous pace, interacting with us on the forums and listening to our incessant whining and even appeasing some of it.
12 Nov 2013, 11:28 AM
Patrion 27

12 Nov 2013, 12:52 PM

On some teamagame maps a combination of ostruppen spam in buidlings and assgrens are really imba... pay2win

Not 1 RTS with pay2win content has become popular..... It just cant be done.
12 Nov 2013, 13:34 PM
Honorary Member Badge

popular by what standard starcraft popluar. before this the expainsion pack crazy shit they pulled split communitys and ruined competitive play. coh1 alteast did it right in that it didn't split the community to a separate ladder. (though there were balance problems they had to fix.)
12 Nov 2013, 17:01 PM

If you're going to go with DLC content tho, Relic, can you not at least have an actual website where you can actually look at the different commanders you can buy? I mean ffs... I can't make out what each commander does from a 5px by 5px ultra-compressed jpeg on steam store.

Especially when you have, like, ten million commanders. Is there really any need for that many? Why make the game even more confusing for new players?

I have a really awful feeling that some really bad decisions have been made with this game.
12 Nov 2013, 17:11 PM

^This is true.

And my Standartanswer: Make a option to buy a Commander "Pass".
One time 25-30€ in addition to the standart game, all multiplayer content.

Not only would this be nice for the competitiv people, but also for someone who comes new into the game, and has a option to "catch up".
12 Nov 2013, 17:58 PM

If you're going to go with DLC content tho, Relic, can you not at least have an actual website where you can actually look at the different commanders you can buy? I mean ffs... I can't make out what each commander does from a 5px by 5px ultra-compressed jpeg on steam store.

Especially when you have, like, ten million commanders. Is there really any need for that many? Why make the game even more confusing for new players?

I have a really awful feeling that some really bad decisions have been made with this game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/249088/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/249082/

Scroll to the bottom.

I'm not buying these though, 4 bucks a pop is incredibly steep.
12 Nov 2013, 18:21 PM

I feel like the vanilla roster of commanders in COH2 can counter any of the DLC commanders just fine. I don't think the "Pay to win" idea translates to balance as much as enjoyment.

The thing is, even if I have to pay $4 for a commander that's the price of a latte and a latte only lasts minutes. Relic has been patching and improving this game at a fervorous pace, interacting with us on the forums and listening to our incessant whining and even appeasing some of it.

I agree with this 100%. I mostly use Guards Motor Coordination or Anti Infantry tactics. The Shock Army is pretty good but not even in my normal commander loadout. I use Urban Defense, but mostly in 3v3 where I can play a supporting role to other players. I think people are overreacting a bit, and as someone else mentioned, feeling like collectors who want a complete set of something.

I agree prices might need to be looked at, and the Tiger Ace is a little worrisome, but for the most part I think the p2w argument is way overblown.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 16
Peru 7
unknown 4
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %