Login

russian armor

Redesigning OKW Spec ops

24 Nov 2019, 11:14 AM

Hi guys,

as we all know too well Spec ops was THE meta commander for OKW players in 1vs1 or 2v2 mainly because of the tech-free commando panther. This issue was finally changed which was a good decision. Is the commander finally in a good spot? I say no and here are my thoughts on the doctrine.

Some general thoughts:

1. A commander centered around the theme of "Special operations" should have an infiltration unit in the load out. The good news is that we have an unused unit the game files - the Brandenburger.
The Brandenburgers (German: Brandenburger) were members of the Brandenburg German special forces unit during World War II. Members of this unit took part in seizing operationally important targets by way of sabotage and infiltration. These units were also used during the battle of the bulge to create chaos behind allied lines.

In summary: There are historical, gameplay AND theme related reasons to incorporate such a unit to the spec ops commander. Lets do this!

How could such a unit be designed?

(1)Brandenburger Infiltration unit
Infiltrate a target building with a Brandenburger squad. Unit based on Stormtroopers. Uses Stormtrooper visual but have own UI. I try to design the unit a little bit more distinctive
to Wehr's stormtroopers.
340 manpower
8 pop
4-man squad
Armed with Kar98k, can be upgraded to MP40 (for free) OR with 2&Infrared StG44 Package (tech needed)
Can use Stielhandgranate (converted truck).
Can use Fuel Scavenge.
Can use Sprint

Neutralizes sectors faster.
Vet 1: Neutralizes sectors faster and increases resistance to suppression.
Vet 2: Increases survivability and rate of fire.
Vet 3: Neutralizes sectors even faster and greatly decreases munitions cost of abilities. Combat expertise also increases accuracy.
Vet 4: Allows squad to move quickly when out of combat, increases rate of fire and increases squad size to 5.
Vet 5: Increases survivability, accuracy and allows squad to heal when out of combat.

Veterancy ideas from
https://www.coh2.org/topic/85213/new-commander-submission-okw/post/721828

The easy way would to copy and paste the actual stormtroopers:)

2. Replace the Artillery flares!
After giving Specops the Brandenburger unit and increasing the power level of the commander there is room to replace the unfair artillery flare with a recon plane or a off-map arty strike.

3. Please redesign the Commando Panther!
In a game where Tiger, Pershings and IS-2 dominate the current version of the commando panther falls off hard which is exactly the reason why we need a redesign here. It would be better in my opinion if the veterancy boni would improve the combat efficiency and not the aura.

New Specops commander:

1. 0CP - Radio Silence

2. 2CP - Brandenburger unit

3. 3CP - Infiltration Tactics

4. 4CP - Recon Plane OR off-map arty (more cps needed then)

5. 9CP - Redesigned Commando Panther

24 Nov 2019, 12:05 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me. This would also allow Fallschirmjägers to move away from this current abomination of infiltration unit + elite at all ranges + snares + bundle grenade + smoke.
24 Nov 2019, 12:34 PM

Absolutely not. All the commander needs is a command Panther adjustment, not a redesign. There are other commanders that need work. Spec Ops is fine as is.
24 Nov 2019, 12:43 PM

The lack of off map artillery is the same with the USF's Heavy Country Company, which was intended to be the commander's weakness

Artillery Flare is also the reason for this commander's existence

So i dont think deleting flare is good idea

Brandenburger unit seems nice

Infrad stg44 should be merge with infiltration Tactics

Command Panther should be come out without schwerer Panzer HQ(
Two tier buildings must be built)
24 Nov 2019, 12:45 PM

is the brandenburger unit even usable ingame via mod tools? what about voice lines etc.?
24 Nov 2019, 12:45 PM

Absolutely not. All the commander needs is a command Panther adjustment, not a redesign. There are other commanders that need work. Spec Ops is fine as is.

I guess allied players dont agree on "artillery flares are fine".
24 Nov 2019, 13:44 PM

is the brandenburger unit even usable ingame via mod tools? what about voice lines etc.?

You can test the unit in the all-units mod.It has its won unit icon and uses the visuals of the stormtroopers. In all honesty i think the Brandenbuger unit was designed to be the infiltration unit of the wehrmacht but was never put in the live game. Relic used the visuals for the stormtroopers.
24 Nov 2019, 14:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2019, 12:45 PMSmartie

I guess allied players dont agree on "artillery flares are fine".

And? If we start deleting OP shit half the game is gone.

Commander is fine, not used in 1v1 but meta in teamgames.
24 Nov 2019, 14:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2019, 12:43 PMblancat

Artillery Flare is also the reason for this commander's existence

Brandenburger unit seems nice

Infrad stg44 should be merge with infkltrstion tactics

Merging the stg44s with infiltration tactis is a good idea and would create the commander slot for the brandenburger unit.
24 Nov 2019, 15:56 PM

And? If we start deleting OP shit half the game is gone.

Commander is fine, not used in 1v1 but meta in teamgames.

It is stupid strong with eleptant+commando panther combo and/or fortification zeroing arty+flares . In team games it is simply abomination.

Back on topic. I really liked the Brandenburger idea. It will add a big freshness to that commander.
24 Nov 2019, 16:06 PM

I love all ideas, as always smartie thanks for your effort and creativity.

What if cmd panther gets reworked into a scoped, sniper panther. Half RoF but 70 range. Cant be upgraded with pintle mount, A soldier with googles comes out the coupula (like the actual cmd panther) and it must be stationary to fire. It is limited to 1 and blocks out KT.
24 Nov 2019, 16:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2019, 15:56 PMJilet

It is stupid strong with eleptant+commando panther combo and/or fortification zeroing arty+flares . In team games it is simply abomination.

Dont worry so much, allied have also BS combos, team games balance are often an abomination, at least that forces a lot of diversity and unpredictability.
24 Nov 2019, 16:18 PM

I like the brandenburger idea, only problem is they'll be using the same assets and voices as the Jägers/Stormtroopers.

Also here's my take on the Spec Ops doctrine and implementing the Owl/Uhu in it as well: https://www.coh2.org/topic/89646/okw-owl-ht-and-special-operations-rework-idea/page/1

Maybe you'll find an interesting idea in there.
24 Nov 2019, 16:22 PM

I'll give it my vote for the flares alone.

All flares need to go barring the smaller mortar/sniper etc ones as they are too potent with zero counter.
24 Nov 2019, 18:19 PM

Yes okw needs more elite infatry units and i like distrofio idea with 70 range panther sounds cool
24 Nov 2019, 22:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2019, 11:14 AMSmartie
4-man squad
Armed with Kar98k, can be upgraded to MP40 (for free) OR with 2&Infrared StG44 Package (tech needed)

4 men smg unit is not a good idea they should be at least 5 if using the smgs.

Units like that should also have access to "interrogation".

Actually my suggestion would be for a unit that can temporarily camouflage to a riflemen/IS/conscript while (changing color to blue) the synergy with radio silence would be interesting.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★