Login

russian armor

My fps issiue

13 Sep 2019, 00:31 AM

So i have a laptop that haves 16 gb ram 1060ti nvdia card 2.8 ghz cpu. I played countless hours of coh2 on this machine. The game never dropped below 60 fps, even in the cluster moments like smokes, lot of units on screen, explosions. But a week ago something happened, and now at the start of the game even if i have 110 fps it starts to drop to 60. But here is the problem part, after a while it drops to 40 or sometimes 30 and its driving me crazy. I tried everything. My drivers and windows are up to date. i tried lowering all the graphic options, disabling replay system, my nvdia card settings are all on performance but nothing works. I play other games and all of them works still fine like always and they are way more demanding games compared to coh2. Like i said, before coh2 was like a silk fps wise, it was very smooth. But now its awful. I am really helpless this game is my joy, but i cant play it now.
13 Sep 2019, 01:02 AM

Depending on how good your laptop is, your monitor can only refresh at 60Hz or 60fps. You are saying that you see 110 fps which would mean you are NOT SYNCING the refresh. Check the GRAPHICS OPTIONS and set V-SYNC to OFF.

Another option is that some anit-aliasing got turned on or some other setting.

Windows 10 has a reputation of updating drivers and killing your PC. Check to see if your drivers got updated recently.

What is V-SYNC
Your videocard draw a scene to a frame buffer in memory. When your monitor has drawn all of the previous frame it sets a refresh flag and tells the videocard "Now is a good time to give me the next frame". So for the smoothest looking visuals you want to lock buffer swaps with the monitor VERTICAL SYNC flag. If you do not use V-SYNC you can get partially drawn frames as you are seeing some of the previous frame as it is being overwritten. This is called TEARING. it looks like the screen is tearing apart.

HOW DOES IT KILL FPS
Your PC draws the scene to the frame buffer. Then it sits there doing nothing until the V-SYNC happens. This is time it could be drawing the next scene to keep your FPS smooth. That is why professional gaming monitors are usually TFT panels that look like crap but they can refresh at faster rates like 144 Hz.
13 Sep 2019, 13:23 PM

Thanks for reply. But knowing this would happen, i wrote in advance. Like i said, i tried lowering options. Besides i was playing v sync off before the issiue. Also if a windows update is the problem, how come no other more demanding game is not affected?
13 Sep 2019, 15:56 PM

V_SYNC sounded like the obvious answer. The next thing that would slow the PC is anti-aliasing.

Since you are runnning an nVIDIA videocard you have to be sure that the GeFORCE EXPERIENCE is not overriding your COH2 game settings.

You can also manually override game settings in the nVIDIA CONTROL PANEL.

The next thing to check is CPU and GPU fans. COH2 is very CPU intensive. Laptops tend to get clogged with dirt which would cause the CPU/GPU to overheat and turn down the clock frequency to save itself from destruction.

Good Luck
3 Oct 2019, 17:42 PM

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight