Login

russian armor

1v1 OKW with good support weapon use

16 Aug 2019, 10:52 AM

So how do you counter an OKW in 1v1 with good support weapons on open maps like Nexus, Crossing or Langres. I'm having a really hard time going up against 1-2 machine guns, supported by volks and 1 or 2 raketens. I can't seem to flank them and kill them in a reasonable time frame as Tommies suck at killing stuff on the move and veteran volks with STGs mow them down as soon as they start moving, my light vehicles get wrecked by cloaked raketens/pfausts and we have no IDF on open maps where mortar emplacements get wrecked.

What is everyone's solution to OKW support weapon play? Happy to post a replay if you'd like.
16 Aug 2019, 11:04 AM

Play defense yourself and use sniper
16 Aug 2019, 11:59 AM

Seems reasonable. Looking forward to the Sept patch for sniper aim CD.
16 Aug 2019, 12:00 PM

Any back up suggestions for people with mediocre sniper micro? (Aside from the obvious practice with sniper so your micro gets better)...
16 Aug 2019, 13:12 PM

Could use the new brit commander and use the call-in mortar. The assault tommies wreck volks on close combat.

Other than that, no idea :P I would try to get a centaur out on the field, HMG's do nothing to it and the centaur can easily decrew a raketten on its first burst (atleast mine does sometimes).
17 Aug 2019, 00:41 AM

Why are you so polite and reflected? pls open a balance thread and whine about how OP everything is

There's always a way to beat something. It's just about finding out how. If my units aren't as good you just have be better tactically.

I also feel like people are way more likely to help me get better when I don't cry and whine about balance. Realistically my gameplay has enough holes in it that balance is probably not the biggest factor in my losses.

Could use the new brit commander and use the call-in mortar. The assault tommies wreck volks on close combat.

Other than that, no idea :P I would try to get a centaur out on the field, HMG's do nothing to it and the centaur can easily decrew a raketten on its first burst (atleast mine does sometimes).

Do you find the centaur comes out to late? I find my issue is that p4's or panthers hit the field so soon after my centaur that it almost always gets dived and destroyed without returning on it's investment.
17 Aug 2019, 00:53 AM

Early UC is great vs OKW or 4 tommies.

Keep your units supporting one another to help with advancing volks. If they field a raketen just be mindful when that fires, and know it’s position to then relocate your UC as any new area with enemy units won’t have the raketen there for a while.

Sniper advice is to just practice and practice, be conscious of it throughout the whole game ASM if all your units are shielding it with their life, every shot it takes back away and repeat - you’ll be a Jedi in no time
17 Aug 2019, 01:06 AM

Yeah, lately I've been playing 3 tommies, UC. At my level (Rank 9) with a bit of micro it's doing work and I often end up getting it to vet 2 or 3.

I guess my build after that is usually squad size, 2nd tent, AEC, sappers? Does this seem reasonable?

Should I factor in a Vickers? I've heard they aren't amazing because their suppression is mediocre.

At what point would you build in a sniper? Before/after the AEC?
17 Aug 2019, 02:27 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Aug 2019, 00:41 AMNeph

There's always a way to beat something. It's just about finding out how. If my units aren't as good you just have be better tactically.

I also feel like people are way more likely to help me get better when I don't cry and whine about balance. Realistically my gameplay has enough holes in it that balance is probably not the biggest factor in my losses.

Do you find the centaur comes out to late? I find my issue is that p4's or panthers hit the field so soon after my centaur that it almost always gets dived and destroyed without returning on it's investment.

I find it's a great unit, you just have to be really careful about supporting it with 6pdrs or PIAT sappers. That or have an AEC around to treadshot for maximum bait potential lol. Killed quite a few tanks by baiting with a centaur and using the AEC's treadshot to immobilize their tank when it dives. I find the centaur to usually be a better choice than the cromwell as long as you have the AT power to back it up in most cases.

Also, it's a bit micro intensive but you could give commandos a try if you're having trouble with your original problem still. They're absolutely great at breaking down support weapon play aggressively, and light gammons are basically a guaranteed wipe against raks or mgs when you throw them out of camo. They've also got smoke and demos for okw bases (it takes 2 smokes to plant a demo though). If he's smart he'll build an IRHT and completely shut down your commandos though lol, so just be aware.

I like getting vickers as my first built unit just because it really forces them to play around it even if it has kinda bad suppression, and it does a lot of damage regardless of whether it suppresses or not. You just have to be extra careful with it, especially around sturms, since it doesn't suppress that well. It allows you to establish strong area control in the first engagements of the game though, and the more tommies you get the easier it is to keep that control once you have enough rifle power to protect your flanks better.

I like to go vickers section section (so 3 sections total) into platoon CP and then get an engie, AEC, and then a commando, and if I ever lose sections I'll replace them with commandos because I find them to be more cost efficient anyway, and I usually just skip the squad size upgrade even though it's really good in order to get a tank out that much faster, and commandos compensate for the lost power there. I will get brens or sometimes mills bombs if I have the muni though. If I go sniper I'll build it as my first platoon CP unit just to get it working as soon as possible. I find if you play either of those builds well enough and get an early medic section, you can go through the early game with really minimal losses (I'm talking like single digit model losses best case scenario lol).
17 Aug 2019, 11:35 AM

Proper Vickers, UC play and using IS in green cover (even if it is not in the direction they are coming) completely dumpster early OKW aggression.

By the time OKW can answer you you will have the advantage of the AEC and 210 MP RE and your sniper to crush him in the mid game even harder.

Just be aware of the Luchs that can be problematic if you don't have any ATG.
18 Aug 2019, 08:10 AM

I find it's a great unit, you just have to be really careful about supporting it with 6pdrs or PIAT sappers. That or have an AEC around to treadshot for maximum bait potential lol. Killed quite a few tanks by baiting with a centaur and using the AEC's treadshot to immobilize their tank when it dives. I find the centaur to usually be a better choice than the cromwell as long as you have the AT power to back it up in most cases.

Also, it's a bit micro intensive but you could give commandos a try if you're having trouble with your original problem still. They're absolutely great at breaking down support weapon play aggressively, and light gammons are basically a guaranteed wipe against raks or mgs when you throw them out of camo. They've also got smoke and demos for okw bases (it takes 2 smokes to plant a demo though). If he's smart he'll build an IRHT and completely shut down your commandos though lol, so just be aware.

I like getting vickers as my first built unit just because it really forces them to play around it even if it has kinda bad suppression, and it does a lot of damage regardless of whether it suppresses or not. You just have to be extra careful with it, especially around sturms, since it doesn't suppress that well. It allows you to establish strong area control in the first engagements of the game though, and the more tommies you get the easier it is to keep that control once you have enough rifle power to protect your flanks better.

I like to go vickers section section (so 3 sections total) into platoon CP and then get an engie, AEC, and then a commando, and if I ever lose sections I'll replace them with commandos because I find them to be more cost efficient anyway, and I usually just skip the squad size upgrade even though it's really good in order to get a tank out that much faster, and commandos compensate for the lost power there. I will get brens or sometimes mills bombs if I have the muni though. If I go sniper I'll build it as my first platoon CP unit just to get it working as soon as possible. I find if you play either of those builds well enough and get an early medic section, you can go through the early game with really minimal losses (I'm talking like single digit model losses best case scenario lol).

Thanks for the input Loop. When you go commandos which doctrine are you going?

Going to give the Vickers a couple of goes now.

Edit: I like the Vanguard doctrine, but obviously it's a huge manpower sink IOT get out Commandos.
19 Aug 2019, 13:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Aug 2019, 08:10 AMNeph
When you go commandos which doctrine are you going?

I'd like to play Mobile Assault, because those commandos can spawn from ambient buildings (they are only 3 tho, so its 1 suprise attack and then retreat). The Land mattress can be a pain in the ass of OKW also, since it has more range than the Stuka Su Fuss and for AI you can throw down the White Phosforeus rockets (they do come really late tho).

Tank self repair is also a must to have in my commander load-out, it safes you the need of royal engineers and I always regret it when I take a commander that doesn't have it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS