Login

russian armor

Counterattack Tactics

14 Oct 2013, 20:19 PM

can someone please suggest me a build that will suit my Counterattack Tactics commander (the new soviet commander) ?
I tried going 3cons-molotov-t1-t4 or t2-t4 but it didn't work very well...
to those who don't know, this commander gives you :
1.shook troops
2.recon overflight
3.mother Russia (boosts all ur infantry)
4.kv1 (a new soviet havey tank)
5.B-4 203mm Howitzer
16 Oct 2013, 14:18 PM

Typically, I always go 4 conscripts in the beginning back to back. This is to take key territories and open up the map for early flanks in the beginning of the game. I only choose counterattack tactics if I notice a heavy T1 build from the Germans and I have decent control of the fuel. Without control of the fuel, I don't recommend this doctrine as it very manpower heavy(which you'll need for T2 at guns) and lacks early AT capabilities.

Going forward, I typically build T1 as a means to an end to hit T3 for early T-70's. CAT doctrine really needs armor support to really shine as a doctrine due to a lack of AT options. After building a few T-70's and a shock troop squad, I build 1-2 T-34s for more of an armor punch. Next come the KV1's to absorb damage away from the T-34's, and if the game continues long enough, I save manpower for the B-4 and utilize it extensively to apply late game pressure. I lay mines on roads approaching the B-4 so you'll be able to deal with vet 1 German armor blitzing to your B-4 positions to either spot for an airstrike or take out the B-4 themselves. I only use direct fire from the B-4 on snared German armor(I.E. damaged engine, buttoned, etc.).

Of course, apply these rules with a grain of salt because you'll have to be flexible to what's on the field, not merely following a strictly structured build order. I usually only build a single shock troop squad because of the expense, and I have noticed that German players pay big attention to shock troops. Make too many and you risk an ostwind coming to the field and really making a drain on your available manpower.
25 Oct 2013, 00:55 AM

Anyone know of any good replays showing off this commander?
25 Oct 2013, 02:59 AM
Donator 33

can someone please suggest me a build that will suit my Counterattack Tactics commander (the new soviet commander) ?
I tried going 3cons-molotov-t1-t4 or t2-t4 but it didn't work very well...
to those who don't know, this commander gives you :
1.shook troops
2.recon overflight
3.mother Russia (boosts all ur infantry)
4.kv1 (a new soviet havey tank)
5.B-4 203mm Howitzer

You should always go tier 4 with this doctrine.

The KV-1 has the same gun as T-34/76 but boasts 150% of the health (960 vs 640) and over twice the armor (240 vs 115). It's only moderately more costly than the t-34 (440 mp 110 fuel vs 280 mp 85 fuel). Two KV-1s cost 880 mp and 220 fuel. Building a tank command and 2 t-34/76s will cost you 835 mp and 260 fuel. As you can see this is the best feature of this doctrine, you can supplement your su-85s with strong anti-infantry firepower at a bargain.

My typical build goes t1-t4, while having one SU-85 on the field suppressing axis tier 3 armor, exploit my advantage in armor superiority by calling in kv-1s to attack infantry and also absorb damage. Remember to destroy any paks you manage to decrew, you have no need for them while possessing the SU-85. The counterattack doctrine is in my opinion the best soviet doctrine for open and semi-open maps with fewer building covers.
25 Oct 2013, 11:30 AM

Well, i like going 4 cons, molotovs and AT nades on them, later for better firepower i call at least 1 shock squad (usually it's 2) for future "For Mother Russia" which is very cool. My first Tier is T2 because they have AT guns, when i float Fuel or i have very good income i build T3 to get some T-70's and maybe later T34 for Ram against bigger german tanks, if not then i try to get KV-1's - this tank is like early KT from CoH1, panthers and Stugs counters them well but since German players usually get P4 then KV-1 shouldn't have problems with them. I rarely build B-4 because of high reinforce costs of my cons/shocks
5 Nov 2013, 11:59 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Oct 2013, 02:59 AMOMGPOP

My typical build goes t1-t4,

SU85s go really nice with KV-1s.. but how do you deal with light vehicles? They could cripple you early.
9 Dec 2013, 02:03 AM
Patrion 27

Edit and Reply are WAY too close to each other on this forum :drool:
9 Dec 2013, 02:04 AM
Patrion 27

Mines and AT nades are pretty much the only option, but both can do the work. Going tier 1 as Soviet without any other AT option is pretty risky.

I think the trade-off is you can use your infantry advantage to contest the opponent's fuel and/or cut-off enough that they struggle to get to their tech before you have blitzed them. This is a Shock commander, literally and conceptually, after all.
13 Jan 2014, 05:19 AM

Build order as fallows - 1 cons, eng builds t2, 2x maxums now depending on engagements if combat is light I build mortar and immediately build shock troops, or shocks befor mortar if ur taking a lot of pressure from grens or assault grens. At this point you should have ur natural points taken ie fuel and munitions, next up is ur at gun, now don't get caught sleeping this build order allows you to have the AT gun out as soon as the fth hits the field. Also befor I forget ur eng sole job after t2 build is harries and mine and wire off. After you first At gun what you buy next is up too you, I like to float till kv1 and either get 2 kv1s or buy 1 kv1 and 203 howitzer, after that I tech t4 for katusha
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★