Login

russian armor

New comp

13 Dec 2012, 00:15 AM

it can take longer. it's expected that they'll get it until 17/12 though
13 Dec 2012, 01:54 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

Any of the Corsair's are really nice. I have the 800D myself.
13 Dec 2012, 15:13 PM

For case, corsair carbide 500r good?

I used that exact same model on my last build.

Corsair Carbide 500R

I used to buy Antec but this looks like being a good investment.

It's very easy to work on. Both sides, the top and front come off with a couple of clicks. You can even remove the floor. It's large but that's a virtue because you never have to fear something you might want to add in the future won't fit. There's access to the back of the m/b tray so you can change coolers without removing the board.

Cable tidy options are second to none. It is effectively 2 compartments isolated by many ribber flaps though which you can thread all the wiring out of the airflow. Looks neat. Solid rattle free construction.

Cooling options are awesome. Designed for when CPUs and GPUs used twice as much power and you might have needed a 750W power supply for overclocking. Up to 10 fan nounts including a giant 200mm extract on the side.

Downsides?

The top and side panel are made of mesh so there is the issue of noise coming out if you use fans and dust getting in if you don't. I solved that by taking out all the fans, except CPU cooler, and taping styrofoam over the openings from the inside.

After that I cannot think of anything. You might not like the colour and it is a bit larger than average. You can buy cheaper. That's it.
13 Dec 2012, 15:44 PM

cases, imho, are mainly a matter of taste (and of course it has to fit your needs). so anything that you think looks good, has everything you need/want and is in an acceptable price range is okay.
13 Dec 2012, 15:56 PM
Honorary Member Badge

When i was young, i built a computer inside a beer case :)
13 Dec 2012, 15:59 PM

Didn't it get wet?
13 Dec 2012, 16:27 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Didn't it get wet?

a german doesnt leave full beer bottles inside for long :P
13 Dec 2012, 18:28 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

a german doesnt leave full beer bottles inside for long :P

German bier is so good, they would be mad if they did! English Bitter beer, on the other hand.....or worse still, manky Mild...:(
Seb
13 Dec 2012, 19:35 PM
Admin Black Badge

Well thanks everyone for the help, it was really helpful. :) Will give feedback when I get it, though there's probably not much to say expect how good it will be.
13 Dec 2012, 21:19 PM

a german doesnt leave full beer bottles inside for long

How fiendishly clever of you to think of that.

Here's me squandering hard cash on lumps of metal and plastic when I could have invested in Ale.
13 Dec 2012, 22:34 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

How fiendishly clever of you to think of that.

Here's me squandering hard cash on lumps of metal and plastic when I could have invested in Ale.

Priorities, Dumsfeld! Priorities! :p
14 Dec 2012, 07:59 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Congratulations on your new purchase, Sebbro!
19 Dec 2012, 21:18 PM

Update: I put everything together, but it doesn't work :D....

There's a light burning at the motherboard so that and the Power supplier must work. But I can't even get the fans working, guess there's something wrong with the RAM or maybe the processor. I'll call technical support tomorrow ^^
19 Dec 2012, 21:56 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

To prep for the new game, I bought (and hopefully) enhanced this:

http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/-b-NEW-b-Tyrannosaur-3570K-OC-94p1406.htm

I pushed the PSU up to 1050w, bcs from what I read, the PSU seems to be a major key for future add-ons

I increased the ram to 16GB, (whilst feeling the new standard may probably be 32 :( )

And I upgraded the case to a Coolermaster Cosmos II, bcs I became beset with worries about overheating, as well as the fact that I figured, if I ever dare traipse inside the case, there would be enough space for me to clumsily fumble.

20 Dec 2012, 20:09 PM

There's a light burning at the motherboard so that and the Power supplier must work. But I can't even get the fans working, guess there's something wrong with the RAM or maybe the processor. I'll call technical support tomorrow ^^

Did you check that power button is working / set correctly to mainboard :P
21 Dec 2012, 00:44 AM
Honorary Member Badge

get this :D

also the bitch of it is its often a process of elimination to find out which part is broke. that or you didn't plug in all the wiring right.
21 Dec 2012, 06:46 AM

Budwise:

Do you really think I went wrong with the LGA 2011 and the x79 motherboard and it's not worth the extra coin. I figured I can throw a new chip on it in a couple years. I was told the 1155 wont be available as long. If not I feel like I could have gotten a bit cheaper with the 77 Sabertooth. I sure love the sabertooth and the i8-3820. Great chip. I went for a full tower instead of a mid just to give me that extra space for my 12 inch GPU. I usually go for the best of the Maximum PC best lists in my price range. The 3820 got honorable mention and I plan to replace it in a year or 2 with a nice unlocked chip when i can afford to upgrade. The Samsung 830 and the Evo cooler were on there. I got the Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC Boost and threw it in a Cooler Master Storm Trooper full tower. Sweet case with a lot of customization.

Just wondering what the biggest downside for the LGA 2011 is. Besides price and performance correlation. Was the guy (my bother who has a biz building PCs) wrong about future chips coming out in the LGA 2011 and the Sabertooth giving me a good platform to build on for a few years. I'd love to throw it in his face. He did save me about $400 on some parts and a few RMA's he gave but just wondering. (Sorry to hijack the thread Seb but sounds like you got your rig figured - Looks sweet Congrats)
21 Dec 2012, 06:55 AM

By the way does anyone know if there is any benefit putting a Samsung 830 256GB and an 840 250GB into Raid 0. I want the extra space as I could only afford a 256 GB to start and I could try to get another 830 at the local store but looks like newegg is Out of Stock. I'd plan on getting a controller possibly. Whats the best bet there Budwise.
21 Dec 2012, 08:23 AM

I dont know about those samsung models. but yes SSD with RAID 0 will speed up your system (at leasts in tests you run). I have 2 Kingston hyper 3k 120gt in raid0. Hardware raid is always better than software but software is ok too...

Quick edit, oh and if you are planning to put 2 different model ssd in raid 0 , you should check that it is ok. or maybe someone knows in here.
21 Dec 2012, 14:31 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

SSD is so win. I was one of the first to put one in, almost 3 years ago now, and I'll never go back. There's no better way to speed up everything you do on your computer. SSD! :wub: I'm looking forward to the next generation drives, as mine is an old OSZ Vertex 120GB.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Sweden 109

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight