Login

russian armor

New comp

Seb
11 Dec 2012, 20:35 PM
Admin Black Badge

Ok so I plan to buy a new comp soon, and I'd like to know what are the good/worth it components at the moment, and if there are risks to see new series in the next few weeks that would make pointless buying the current good one.

My goal is to be able to play COH2 at max settings in 1080p and broadcast in HD at the same time while keeping FPS above 60. I might be afraid that I would need CPU with more than 4 core for that like the i7 3930K, which would be kinda overprice atm.

Ideally I'd put around 1300€ but reaching the above goal is kinda more a priority than the price. I don't include OS in the price. I want SSD. I have preference for intel and nvidia.

Oh yeah also I really want it to be quiet when it's not under heavy load so I'd rather pay a bit more for a good power supply and fans.

I have no issue with buying parts separately and assembling myself.

Also I don't include keyboard in the price, but I take advices for what would be a good mechanical keyboard.

11 Dec 2012, 20:52 PM

+1. I'm buying a new computer and would like the similar to what seb is planing, except maybe a bit less high end.

As for my advices, from reading the tech forums 2 good GFX'es together work better than 1 highend newest gfx to come out, overclocked i7 quads which are a little older are better than the newest i7's (which are always overpriced by default) and if you are buying a monitor as well, I would recomend nothing lower than a HD 24 inch one, look at everything higher than that.
For best gfxs currently on the market nvidia is better because of their driver support and longetivity, people are crazy about the new ati but its preformance is just a tiny bit better than nvidia's, while u get better life and support chosing nvidia.
Intel is standard for processors
11 Dec 2012, 20:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2012, 20:35 PMSeb
Ok so I plan to buy a new comp soon, and I'd like to know what are the good/worth it components at the moment, and if there are risks to see new series in the next few weeks that would make pointless buying the current good one.

My goal is to be able to play COH2 at max settings in 1080p and broadcast in HD at the same time while keeping FPS above 60. I might be afraid that I would need CPU with more than 4 core for that like the i7 3930K, which would be kinda overprice atm.

Ideally I'd put around 1300€ but reaching the above goal is kinda more a priority than the price. I don't include OS in the price. I want SSD. I have preference for intel and nvidia.

Oh yeah also I really want it to be quiet when it's not under heavy load so I'd rather pay a bit more for a good power supply and fans.

I have no issue with buying parts separately and assembling myself.

Also I don't include keyboard in the price, but I take advices for what would be a good mechanical keyboard.

i'll also buy a new one

but i guess we have to wait till the new cpus come out early 2013
11 Dec 2012, 20:55 PM

I would like to buy a new pc too,

It should be able to run the most demanding games on high framerates while also keeping the noise down (don't like the sound of a small hurricane in my living room), I was thinking about maybe a semi-new overclocked i7 (although an i5 would probably do the job too), don't know anything about graphic cards.

Oh yeah, I want my pc to be absolutely free because I don't have any money :P
11 Dec 2012, 22:07 PM

I've had tons of guys tell me to go for the LGA 2011 motherboards. Something about newer chips coming out in 2011 and the LGA 2011 Asus Sabertooth x79 motherboards which also have 8 dimm slots and can take 64 (8x8) gb of ram and be used for Ram disks or caches have been great for all the people my brother builds for and I built mine with one. Great board. I threw a i7-3820 (Semi-unlocked but I can still get 4.2 to 4.5 ghz safely out of it (It turbo boosts to 3.8), 16 GB 4x4 quad channel Corsair Vengeance 1866 DDR3 ram, a Cooler Master hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler, and I'm getting great FPS (40-50ish average on Max, Max settings with occasional drops and surges) on (the game were all playing but not supposed to talk about) with a Sapphire Flex Radeon 7950 OC boost (some guys swear by Nvidia GTX Kepler I think?) If your an overclocker a fully unlocked chip would be better but with chip prices I figured the 3820 was a good chip and I would get the new monster in a few years. I threw in a MK II Silencer 750 PSU and put it all in a Cooler Mater Storm Trooper Full tower and a Samsung 830 256 GB SSD. I plan to get another in Raid 0.

If anyone catches any bad info in here let me know. I'm in school now and don't pretend to be an expert at all so let me know if I've been given any bad info. Especially about the LGA 2011 chips.

11 Dec 2012, 22:17 PM

By the way I price shopped and used a few rebates and did mine for $1200 CDN. I had the monitors, PSU, keyboards, mouse and headset but the rest when price shopping Newegg I was able to score some deals. All I could afford. I would look at the boxing day sales if they have them online. I know I can get stuff shipped to the US and pick it up which helped. Prices and supply are different here in Canada. Mainly due to shipping and the local prices.
12 Dec 2012, 04:06 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

LGA2011 is a complete and utter waste of money. Its a server platform that shows little to no benefit vs 1155 for a workstation workload. In fact its slower than 1155 sometimes and the CPU's and Motherboards all cost quite a bit more than skt1155.

Easy build:
i7 3770K or i5 3570K

Asus Z77 Motherboard
Sabertooth/P8Z77-V Series

8GB of DDR3 1600 is plenty but get 16 if you want since its cheap as chips

There's a handful of really nice SSD's out there. Samsung/Crucial would be my first choices.

Video card is where you will want to invest a lot. Either AMD or Nvidia have great cards. I usually get the 2nd to the top of the line card since you usually get 95% of the performance for 20% off the cost. This means either a GTX 680/670 or a HD 7970 but I think a new gen of both of these are due out in Q1. I find it hard recommending getting the current gen since they've been out for 9 months already.

Power Supply is another area to get something solid. I recommend around a 750W unless you plan to overclock or get multi GPU's. Corsair is my brand of choice but there are other good ones.
12 Dec 2012, 08:48 AM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

As Power Supply I have a Corsair GS800, (GS stands for Gaming Series), 80Plus certified. I payed it around 80€ a couple of years ago.

16GB of RAM are the way to go imo, so you won't need to update your system in the next future.

Budwise suggested you the right CPUs too.

About gfx cards, you came in a particulart moment. With AMD problems they are now forced to release the new 8 series in Q1 2013. You may want to wait for the new generation of Nvidia too. If you don't want to wait, go for an Nvidia gtx670 or gtx680.

Or you could win SNF and get that beast of the GTX680 without paying at all. :]
12 Dec 2012, 09:22 AM

keep in mind not all games support 2 sli cards and will only recognize 1 card. I read that somewhere a while ago though, so things may have changed
12 Dec 2012, 10:20 AM

pretty much what budwise said... 3770k or 3570k should be best processors (cooler: get a good tower cooler with a decent fan... there should be lots of tests for that on google), RAM is so cheap ATM, better get 16GB. Motherboard... meh, i dont really care, get whatever you think is worth it and fits your needs (and other components ;-)). Graphics card: probably something along the lines of a gtx 680 or ati hd 78xx/79xx (i've had a Asus HD6870 DirectCU for a while, pretty silent... maybe theres new DirectCU models?). i'd generally always suggest against getting SLI/crossfire, never worth it imho.
12 Dec 2012, 10:57 AM

For the record. On vCoH I get 59.99 fps and games;disputes > 50:1 on a 1080p 24" monitor. Even with vsync = on.

This is with a dual core Intel Pentium G620 (2.6GHz), 4Gb generic RAM, and a 6850. All with a 450W power supply.

I'm going to wait until the beta has been out for a while and then see what needs upgrading. If anything. Be mad to buy on spec now just before Xmas. Everything will probably be cheaper in 3 months time anyway.

p.s. According to extensive tests done by CustomPC mag CoH runs slower on 2 graphics cards than it does on one. That's not, doesn't run close to twice as fast that's actually running at 90% of the speed of one card when you add another in SLi/XFire.
12 Dec 2012, 14:57 PM

I'm also getting a new pc, what do u guys think about this?

-prosessor: Intel® Core™ i7-3820
-memory: 2 x Corsair 4 GB DDR3-1600
-Harddisk: Intel® SSDSC2CT240A3K5
Art-Nr. IMIMWX
SATA 600, 330 Series, MLC
-Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45 (8D) (Intel x79 express chipset)
-Graphic card: GIGABYTE GV-N650OC-2GI (gefore GTX 650)

Opinions/suggestions pls :P
12 Dec 2012, 15:13 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

Your graphic card is not very powerful, especially compared to your CPU and RAM, the gtx650 is definitely not what you want. Get at least a 660ti if you want a mid/high level graphic card :)

2 x 4GB is ok, you can expand in the future. the CPU is ok too.
12 Dec 2012, 15:14 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

Read my previous post regarding socket 2011 vs 1155 Symbi.
12 Dec 2012, 15:17 PM

Your graphic card is not very powerful, especially compared to your CPU and RAM, the gtx650 is definitely not what you want. Get at least a 660ti if you want a mid/high level graphic card :)

2 x 4GB is ok, you can expand in the future. the CPU is ok too.

Hey, I have to leave the option open for winning snf 4 :D
12 Dec 2012, 15:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Dec 2012, 15:14 PMBudwise
Read my previous post regarding socket 2011 vs 1155 Symbi.

Does that apply for my motherboard then? (yes I'm a total pc nub)
12 Dec 2012, 15:32 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

Does that apply for my motherboard then? (yes I'm a total pc nub)

Yes.

X79 has no benefit over Z77 for 95% of users. X79 is just much more expensive.
Seb
12 Dec 2012, 15:33 PM
Admin Black Badge

So GPU aside, with i7 3770K it's guaranteed the processor won't be the bottleneck for playing AND broadcasting in max settings at the same time? I insist because it's my top priority and I don't want to miss it.

I'll get 16gb RAM cause yeah it costs nothing. 4*4 or 2*8?

Any of the P8Z77-V is good? Cause it kinda goes from 100 to 250€.

For SSD what is the best/most common connection? Sata3? It's better to get 128gb now and potentially another one later, or directly 256? I heard it might be better in the long run to have OS in one and games in another?

What about the case?

But overall, you think I should wait next year for the new GPU to come? When is that? Or is it just for AMD, which I'm not interested in the first place.
12 Dec 2012, 15:39 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Dec 2012, 15:33 PMSeb
So GPU aside, with i7 3770K it's guaranteed the processor won't be the bottleneck for playing AND broadcasting in max settings at the same time? I insist because it's my top priority and I don't want to miss it.

I'll get 16gb RAM cause yeah it costs nothing. 4*4 or 2*8?

Any of the P8Z77-V is good? Cause it kinda goes from 100 to 250€.

For SSD what is the best/most common connection? Sata3? It's better to get 128gb now and potentially another one later, or directly 256? I heard it might be better in the long run to have OS in one and games in another?

What about the case?

But overall, you think I should wait next year for the new GPU to come? When is that? Or is it just for AMD, which I'm not interested in the first place.

The 3770K will be more than enough. I do all of that with an i5 3570K and it has no problem keeping up.

P8Z77-V is good, so is the P8Z77-V Pro. The Pro has a slightly upgraded power delivery system but unless you're overclocking the vanilla one will be fine.

SATA 3 definitely. OS and Games should go on 1 SSD, and all your other stuff (music/movies/documents) on a larger HDD. If you can fit everything on a 128GB (i do) then that is the cheaper route, otherwise 256GB drives are pretty affordable as well. Samsung's 840 is a great drive and so are the Crucial M series.

Cases are more personal preference. Just get one with good cooling. Also make sure to get an upgraded cooler for your CPU. The Intel coolers these days are just pathetic.

New GPU's will probaby come out late Q1. If you can wait then do it, if not get a GTX 670.
12 Dec 2012, 16:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Dec 2012, 15:39 PMBudwise

The 3770K will be more than enough. I do all of that with an i5 3570K and it has no problem keeping up.

P8Z77-V is good, so is the P8Z77-V Pro. The Pro has a slightly upgraded power delivery system but unless you're overclocking the vanilla one will be fine.

SATA 3 definitely. OS and Games should go on 1 SSD, and all your other stuff (music/movies/documents) on a larger HDD. If you can fit everything on a 128GB (i do) then that is the cheaper route, otherwise 256GB drives are pretty affordable as well. Samsung's 840 is a great drive and so are the Crucial M series.

Cases are more personal preference. Just get one with good cooling. Also make sure to get an upgraded cooler for your CPU. The Intel coolers these days are just pathetic.

New GPU's will probaby come out late Q1. If you can wait then do it, if not get a GTX 670.

But having more space on your SSD does make it faster, so why not get a bigger one?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★