Login

russian armor

Mirror Match

PAGES (29)down
11 Dec 2012, 20:10 PM

They're one and the same though. You need a game appealing to spectators.
11 Dec 2012, 20:26 PM

Wehr playing against Wehr, its simply ugly and stupid.
11 Dec 2012, 21:13 PM

i'm also against mirror matches in ranked
11 Dec 2012, 21:22 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Anyone who wants COH2 to be a serious competitive RTS should support mirror matches.
11 Dec 2012, 21:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2012, 19:32 PMcr4wler
Against it for automatch... fine for skirmish.

This makes sense as it won't affect automatch but will add some extra play for those who want to mirror with mates or comp stomp German vs. German or Russian vs. Russian. It needs to have a function to disable it in basic so the other guy can't pick a mirror match if you don't want but what does it hurt if you don't play mirror matches. Look at MoW it goes for total realism with a lot of things but doesn't it allow mirror matches??? If it doesn't affect MP then what's the damage. It can't hurt unless in automatch it's allowed it will make it harder to find a good German vs. Russian match but I'm sure they won't leave it in automatch. This is just a test after all.
11 Dec 2012, 21:37 PM

Seriously, can those retards who say no at least predicate their response with no for automatch, yes for basic.

Dont just say no, its stupid. I think everyone with a brain realises that it is stupid for automatch but to restricting it completely from basic is cutting your nose to spite your face
11 Dec 2012, 21:41 PM

Why so offensive? There are always different opinions..
11 Dec 2012, 22:15 PM

It's fine, it can only add to the game. Though I agree for automatch there should be a mode for USSR vs Ostheer only.
11 Dec 2012, 22:21 PM
Coder Red Badge

It's impossible to say if mirror matches are good or not because without reference to actual gameplay all we're doing is throwing around unfounded opinions. And since we can't discuss specifics of gameplay here, there's no debate to be had.
11 Dec 2012, 22:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2012, 21:22 PM12azor
Anyone who wants COH2 to be a serious competitive RTS should support mirror matches.

This.

I've yet to see a reasonable argument against mirror matches, just lots of people saying "it's boring" or "it's unrealistic" over and over again.
11 Dec 2012, 22:46 PM

This.

I've yet to see a reasonable argument against mirror matches, just lots of people saying "it's boring" or "it's unrealistic" over and over again.

Would boring not be the biggest argument there can ever be for esports? No one will watch if it's boring
11 Dec 2012, 22:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2012, 22:21 PMInverse
It's impossible to say if mirror matches are good or not because without reference to actual gameplay all we're doing is throwing around unfounded opinions. And since we can't discuss specifics of gameplay here, there's no debate to be had.

I'm worried that people who support it are doing the exact same thing.

For instance, can anyone tell me with a straight face that mirrors would have worked in the vCoH US vs US matchup?

Mirrors aren't inherently good for gameplay or competition if the faction simply can't handle it.
11 Dec 2012, 23:07 PM
Donator 33

Scumbag Relic:
- Goes to great lengths to make CoH2 authentic!
- Makes mirror-match standard for WW2.

Too lazy to do the meme...

Special Bulletin; you now do 20% extra damage to your ally's infantry in 2v2AT! Kill 30 retreating squads from your own faction in single player mission "order 227" to unlock :p
11 Dec 2012, 23:36 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I'm still on the fence on this one. My initial reaction was "hell no", but if it's better for competition/esports, then I may have to reconsider.
11 Dec 2012, 23:46 PM
Coder Red Badge

Arguing for mirrors by saying they're essential to making the game competitive is as silly as arguing against them because they make the game less realistic. If mirrors are fun to watch and varied in gameplay, they should be included. If they aren't, they shouldn't.

SC2 isn't competitive because it has mirrors; it's competitive because it has the right mix of balance, skill ceiling, and visual appeal. The winner is generally the player who played better, it takes a lot of effort to excel at, and people want to watch it.

Most people I know who watch/play SC2 prefer asymmetrical matchups over mirrors by a huge margin. They aren't necessary, but they can add variety to a game if done well, especially a game like CoH2 which would have one matchup otherwise.

Of course, we've only had two days to play with CoH2, and nobody has any idea whatsoever if mirrors are fun to play or fun to watch. Only time will tell.
11 Dec 2012, 23:49 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

One thing to think about is that if mirrors became popular and allowed in competition, it would change the scene completely. It would allow players to specialize in one faction, instead of forcing them to play both as we do now.

I'm still leaning toward "no thanks", because the historical plausibility of this game is something that I really love.
11 Dec 2012, 23:52 PM

One thing to think about is that if mirrors became popular and allowed in competition, it would change the scene completely. It would allow players to specialize in one faction, instead of forcing them to play both as we do now.

That's a really big deal for me, I've always loved that about CoH. Top tier players are always skilled with both factions, and it does wonders for both the community and the balance feedback it provides.
11 Dec 2012, 23:52 PM
Coder Red Badge

Yeah, it would definitely be interesting. It's tough to talk about without citing gameplay.
12 Dec 2012, 00:38 AM

Why people are saying it's good to competitive scenario? Explain this bullshit \o/
12 Dec 2012, 00:43 AM
Honorary Member Badge

For me the whole 'realism' value that non-mirror matches has is a non-issue, I always wanted mirror matchups in the original CoH. While at the same time I understand that a lot of players against it will be upset and possibly not play the game because of it. While I can say the same for a lot of the competitive players I know who left on day1 of CoH being released because their were no mirror matchups, I can't say that the amount of people in that group is larger than people who don't want mirror matchups. In fact i'd say people who don't want mirrors are a lot louder about their opinion given the fact it's how CoH has been for the last 6 years.

So while i'd like to see mirror matchups in the game because of a few reasons:
  • Can't get more balanced than a mirror matchup
  • Much better for the competitive scene/tournaments
  • More, interesting matchups, mirrors can be very entertaining
  • No more 'army chosen by vp score' in best of 3, great for competitive play

I can also think of a few reasons against it:
  • Realism factor diminished
  • Mirror matchups aren't exactly perfectly balanced if maps aren't perfectly symmetrical
  • A lot of players leaving/not buying coh2 because of this change? Thus tournaments/competition takes a hit

Maybe Relic will play it safe and stick with realism, originally they could have played it safe and put mirror matchups in the game but they didn't. So I wouldn't put it past them to change the game now. What I do know is quinn duffy is listening to each and everyone's opinion on this, and i'm glad he has at least let us try out mirror matchups.
PAGES (29)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS