Login

russian armor

Is Relic taking action against drophackers in coh2?

8 Oct 2013, 09:23 AM

This happens often enough to be annoying. You pretty much beat your opponent in a gg and then he lags the game at the end and kicks you first. You end up getting a loss. It happened today against a high rank player (60 I think). He was pissed that my 4 t34 destroyed his 2 tigers and did this.

I have the reply saved, but from everybody's experience is Relic doing anything about it when reported to enforcement@relic.com ?
8 Oct 2013, 10:11 AM

Sometimes the issue can be connection issues too, it's not always a hack. If you have a bad connection and one just suddenly leaves, things might go wrong...

And if it actually is a hacker, I'm sure relic will deal with them asap :)
8 Oct 2013, 10:13 AM

2 things:
- Noun told me that in order for Relic to take action against a drophacker it has to be fully proven he cheated. Noun literally said this means the drophacker has to say something like "I'm going to drophack you now", which obviously never happens.
I've sent a replay of a drophacker to the enforcement mail address and nothing happened. Tbh it kind of feels like Noun is just pulling his hands of off this one, his mantra is "innocent until proven absolutely 100% guilty" which means nobody gets punished.

- I also noticed I got losses by drophackers that should have worse trustratings than myself. I personally calculate it as "number of disputes divided by number of games played". Using this formula people with a higher outcome still successfully drophack me which is strange. I contacted Peter about this, and he said he was going to look into it. I haven't heard the outcome, however.

On a side note here I want to point out to Relic that they should really step up their game regarding cheating. "Innocent until proven guilty" is obviously the only way to go, but they take it WAY too far meaning you can just drophack all day without any consequences. We've seen this in CoH1, and now we see it in CoH2. Relic do something and stop having cheaters ruin your game!

@Symbiosis: A typical drophack is always the one where u have a completely lagfree game, and then when you destroy his army all of a sudden he lags out. Especially the moment when the lags starts is really telling, and it happens quite frequently.
And if it actually is a hacker, I'm sure relic will deal with them asap -> Unfortunately, no they dont :(
8 Oct 2013, 10:30 AM

Sometimes the issue can be connection issues too, it's not always a hack. If you have a bad connection and one just suddenly leaves, things might go wrong...

And if it actually is a hacker, I'm sure relic will deal with them asap :)

True, it can happen, but you can usually tell the difference in the fact that the game would be perfect until the last moment and they would be also verbally attacking you.

8 Oct 2013, 10:35 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Oct 2013, 10:13 AMStoffa
2 things:
- Noun told me that in order for Relic to take action against a drophacker it has to be fully proven he cheated. Noun literally said this means the drophacker has to say something like "I'm going to drophack you now", which obviously never happens.
I've sent a replay of a drophacker to the enforcement mail address and nothing happened. Tbh it kind of feels like Noun is just pulling his hands of off this one, his mantra is "innocent until proven absolutely 100% guilty" which means nobody gets punished.

wow that's pretty excessive, they should take into account player history and not be so narrow focused like that, but I wish I saved the second reply because I had him in the second game say something like "what are you going to do" and "report me, nothing will happen" etc.

By the way, does the reply save in game chat text?

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Oct 2013, 10:13 AMStoffa
- I also noticed I got losses by drophackers that should have worse trustratings than myself. I personally calculate it as "number of disputes divided by number of games played". Using this formula people with a higher outcome still successfully drophack me which is strange. I contacted Peter about this, and he said he was going to look into it. I haven't heard the outcome, however.

On a side note here I want to point out to Relic that they should really step up their game regarding cheating. "Innocent until proven guilty" is obviously the only way to go, but they take it WAY too far meaning you can just drophack all day without any consequences. We've seen this in CoH1, and now we see it in CoH2. Relic do something and stop having cheaters ruin your game!

@Symbiosis: A typical drophack is always the one where u have a completely lagfree game, and then when you destroy his army all of a sudden he lags out. Especially the moment when the lags starts is really telling, and it happens quite frequently.
And if it actually is a hacker, I'm sure relic will deal with them asap -> Unfortunately, no they dont :(

Yes I agree and many thanks for sharing this feedback.

Message to Relic: you really need to get your act on this
8 Oct 2013, 11:32 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Oct 2013, 10:35 AMAbdul

wow that's pretty excessive, they should take into account player history and not be so narrow focused like that, but I wish I saved the second reply because I had him in the second game say something like "what are you going to do" and "report me, nothing will happen" etc.

By the way, does the reply save in game chat text?

Tbh I don't think the chat is saved in replays, and therefore I think Noun was just giving an excuse to not do anything with replays sent to enforcement@relic.com.
8 Oct 2013, 11:50 AM

No offence but I think people think they have a much better understanding of when people have drop-hacked them than they do. I have a ridiculous ton of disputes from having been on a low-end ATI graphics card with a crappy ISP until recently - no doubt some of those games I droppped at a moment when the opponent had just started winning. For them to be able to just report that on suspicion (and some people will get suspicious of anything) and get someone's account banned is far worse than a few people having inflated stats.

Now, in COH 1 I saw some clear drop-hacking that basically froze the game for myself and my friend. I've not seen any obvious incident of that in COH 2. I completely understand why Relic would be reticent to ban people if they don't have complete certainty - because they'd end up banning a load of unrelated people to satisfy people who are overly paranoid about drop hacking.

---

Replays don't display in-game chat. I've no idea if they save it.
8 Oct 2013, 11:51 AM

to OP, the short answer is no.
8 Oct 2013, 11:56 AM

No offence but I think people think they have a much better understanding of when people have drop-hacked them than they do. I have a ridiculous ton of disputes from having been on a low-end ATI graphics card with a crappy ISP until recently - no doubt some of those games I droppped at a moment when the opponent had just started winning. For them to be able to just report that on suspicion (and some people will get suspicious of anything) and get someone's account banned is far worse than a few people having inflated stats.

Now, in COH 1 I saw some clear drop-hacking that basically froze the game for myself and my friend. I've not seen any obvious incident of that in COH 2. I completely understand why Relic would be reticent to ban people if they don't have complete certainty - because they'd end up banning a load of unrelated people to satisfy people who are overly paranoid about drop hacking.

Lol sorry but this is just the biggest load of nonsense ever. Since release of the leaderboards drophack started to occur more and more frequently, and it has nothing to do with being paranoid. You're probably a casual player if you don't notice this. Within top 100 it is definitely happening.

to OP, the short answer is no.

This.
8 Oct 2013, 12:13 PM

At the moment is almost impossible to tell if someone is drophacking. Net code is a mess, everybody is lagging vs anybody, you can be kicked from game because other guy is lagging.
8 Oct 2013, 12:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Oct 2013, 11:56 AMStoffa

Lol sorry but this is just the biggest load of nonsense ever. Since release of the leaderboards drophack started to occur more and more frequently, and it has nothing to do with being paranoid. You're probably a casual player if you don't notice this. Within top 100 it is definitely happening.

This.

I don't play at top 100 level, certainly. Of the few top 100 streamers I watch I don't see a lot of drophacks being used against them.

I've played a couple of games that looked a little suspicious but no blatantly clear-cut fuck-the-game-up drop-hacks as in COH-1. I obviously wasn't saying it *never* happens, just that some players will and do blame drophacking as a twitch reflex every time someone drops/lags out against them when they thought they were winning and that not getting innocent people's accounts banned is obviously much more important than making the ladder stats perfect.

I'm certainly not seeing anything near the current COH-1 drophacking epidemic and until it reaches that point I'd rather Relic only dealt with cases they can be completely sure of.
8 Oct 2013, 12:18 PM

---

Replays don't display in-game chat. I've no idea if they save it.

No offense taken, I get connection problems too but as mentioned above I can tell pretty well when it happens on purpose.
8 Oct 2013, 12:21 PM

@Blovski: There is no point in drophacking if you don't have a high rank. If you're not taking the game THAT seriously why bother cheating for a win. Drophacking happens when people are proud of their rank and don't want to lose it.

Desperate times require desperate measures, I guess...

Edit: I've seen both Stephen and VonIvan been drophacked on their streams. Stephen multiple times.

At the moment is almost impossible to tell if someone is drophacking. Net code is a mess, everybody is lagging vs anybody, you can be kicked from game because other guy is lagging.

I always kind of cringe when I read comments like these. They are right of course: the netcode is a mess, everybody is lagging and you get kicked a lot.
It is, however, totally clear when you get drophacked. If you have a completely lagfree game, and then after a big big win where you destroy (for instance) all of his tanks and most of his infantry suddenly the game freezes and the kickscreen comes up you know what time it is.
We should all really stop hiding behind connectionproblems, and start ACTING ACTIVELY on cheaters that fuck us over ingame.
8 Oct 2013, 12:35 PM

I have never heard from anyone that Relic actually replied with any kind of action to an email send to info@relic.com or enforcement@relic.com.
8 Oct 2013, 12:45 PM

Its just about impossible for Relic to determine if someone has drop-hacked or just dropped due to connection, even more so since its P2P.

Not sure how drop-hacking is done, but how can you prove someone turned off their modem?

I wouldn't hold high hopes.......
8 Oct 2013, 12:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Oct 2013, 12:21 PMStoffa
@Blovski: There is no point in drophacking if you don't have a high rank. If you're not taking the game THAT seriously why bother cheating for a win. Drophacking happens when people are proud of their rank and don't want to lose it.

Desperate times require desperate measures, I guess...

Edit: I've seen both Stephen and VonIvan been drophacked on their streams. Stephen multiple times.

I always kind of cringe when I read comments like these. They are right of course: the netcode is a mess, everybody is lagging and you get kicked a lot.
It is, however, totally clear when you get drophacked. If you have a completely lagfree game, and then after a big big win where you destroy (for instance) all of his tanks and most of his infantry suddenly the game freezes and the kickscreen comes up you know what time it is.
We should all really stop hiding behind connectionproblems, and start ACTING ACTIVELY on cheaters that fuck us over ingame.

Back in closed beta people were on the sega forums claiming to know someone had drophacked them, when there couldn't have been any ladder position incentive.

Low ranked players certainly did drophack in CoH 1. More out of rage/spite than anything else. I saw far more hacking in the less competitive areas of that game in general (so, 2v2 basic and all larger game modes were plagued with it, while 1v1 automatch was unproblematic). I've seen Von get drophacked on stream once but it doesn't look like it's as big an issue for players like Von or Hans or whoever as, say, the lack of ladder decay. Pretending like you *know* something is a drophack when it just looks like a drophack is silly unless you get the exact same thing repeatedly with the same player at which point it's really up to relic whether they feel that's enough evidence to act on.
8 Oct 2013, 12:51 PM

while 1v1 automatch was unproblematic).

In COH days? at least 1 out of 3 of my 1v1 games ended up in sync-error, when I played 3v3 and 4v4 games with friends (or people I knew wouldn't do that) it would be 1 in 20 or so games.

I would say 90% + of 'connection problems' have nothing to do with software or hardware, but with people
8 Oct 2013, 13:14 PM

@Blovski: If I destroy my opponents army, and right after that the screen freezes and the kick screen comes up its pretty obvious to me I'm getting cheated. If it isn't to you then we can just agree to disagree here.

Also I never said drop hacking doesn't happen with lower ranks, just that it happens far less frequently.
8 Oct 2013, 13:28 PM

Permanently Banned
Its the games own stupid systems fault.

Its not even hacking. Just dropping from the game is enough.

I think many people don't even realise there is a Concede button.

They just tab to desktop and close window to leave the game in their rage because they are losing and dont want to see all the stats/wait etc, little knowing that infact they just caused the retarded system to attribute them a win, and their opponent, a loss.

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Oct 2013, 13:14 PMStoffa
@Blovski: If I destroy my opponents army, and right after that the screen freezes and the kick screen comes up its pretty obvious to me I'm getting cheated. If it isn't to you then we can just agree to disagree here.

No.

Thats just the point that the other guy leaves the match in a rage because he is beaten, probably not realising AT ALL that the retarded system now gave him a win, and you a lose.

Its not a coincidence, you know, that the leaving happens at that point. And "drophacking" doesn't take any hacking or deliberate intent. Just takes dropping from the match, which is every players prerogative to do.

Nothing states you have to nicely and formally first Concede, then click through all the match followup screens, and then nicely click on the "Quit" button on the main splash page....

The fault is in the retarded system.
8 Oct 2013, 13:53 PM

Low ranked players certainly did drophack in CoH 1. More out of rage/spite than anything else...

All kinds of cheating occured in the top 15 as well for already stated reasons, and its the same in coh 2.
@admins: FP forum would be nice, to actually see what happens to all the reports. I could offer some time dependending on what is needed to have one running here.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 50
United States 19
unknown 5
United Kingdom 82
unknown 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L