Login

russian armor

Balance issue affecting the game economy

23 Apr 2019, 11:34 AM

I have the feeling the game economy has artificially inflated over the last years due to the various balance patch reducing unit prices or reinforcement cost.
What is your opinion about it?

I'm playing mainly 2vs2 and the amount of games where I'm floatting at 600+ manpower even having a consistent army is baffling me. I can't remember that some years ago I had so much manpower around 7-8 minutes marks and be able to build 2 caches (and they are now more expensive).
I recall that building cache some year ago had another price than 200 manpower, reducing your army composition by a unit.

Even on 1vs1, on my games or watching cast or replay, I see that players have usually a lot of manpower. Losing an early VG squad? instantly replaced by another one or a callin unit.
I have also the feeling that army composition are bigger than before.

Thinking about it, it obviously has consequences on balance. Single expensive units see their cost opportunity reduced by the fact there is more manpower available to build or reinforce them. On the other side cheap units see their cost opportunity increase and hitting micromanagement glass top.

Let's take Conscript as an example (hot topic today). They are supposed to be cheap and early game be used to overwhelm your opponent form different angles. But since your opponent can also build more units and reinforce them as much as you, or you build more conscript squads or you can't overwhelm your opponent's more expensive units.
Building more conscript squads suppose to be able to manage them enough well to get the best of them during combat. But for the majority of players there is a limit of units you can single handle during a battle, so having more conscript squad isn't going to give the supposed edge your expected to have by having 1 or 2 more squad than your opponent.

The question here is: Are conscript so bad or isn't simply your opponent that can field enough squads to negate their advantage? You think it doesn't answer the question of Conscript late game performance? Well, if conscript would give you more early game, you'll probably be on a better position late game to seal the game before they become completely useless. Or maybe a simple reasonable buff would be enough from T4 as proposed by the balance team.

Same question for Tommies: Is it normal to be able to field 4 tommies squads and a UC on 1vs1 with so little economic downsides? Here again how Ostheer or OKW are supposed to deal with it.

My opinion is that this inflated economy has created a large part of the balance issues we're facing today. Penal, VG or Tommies are probably fine as they are and the problem with them relies more on their opportunity cost, if there were less manpower available soon for them to be build or reinforce VG couldn't be spammed, T1 M3/penal could probably become not as viable as it is today vs OKW, 4 tommies/UC would become 3 Tommies/UC giving more opening to their opponent etc...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★