Login

russian armor

How Numbers are often Misinterpreted

29 Mar 2019, 17:01 PM

Permanently Banned
Lately I have seen many posts showing that people often take numbers and statistics from the wrong way.

By this thread I will try to show you how often the obviously clear first answer is sometimes the wrong one.

Imagine you are having 2 completely identical vehicles when it comes to cost, HP, rate of fire, armor and everything except these 2 statistics.

Tank A has 10 healthpoints, its gun deals 1 damage and hits tanks with 100 % accuraccy (always hits and always penetrates).

Tank B has 10 healthpoints, its gun deals 10 damange but its shot only damages the tank A 8% of all times (because it has low accuraccy).

Everyone would say that its obvious that tank A is better than tank B because DPShot for the tank A is 1 and DPShot for tank B is 0,8 (10*0,08).

But actually, when in real combat, it turns out that according to the Bernoulli scheme tank A only wins against the tank B 43% of all times.

So, which one is better ? :)

Now, one could say I made this example to back up my argument which is obviously true and I am not pretending its not.

But what's the point ?

The point is that the game and stats are too complicated and complex to be interpreted by common people correctly and in game experience is the only way how we can measure unit performance.

So lets stop promoting our arguments by made up stats and rather focus on real in game data and experience :)
29 Mar 2019, 17:05 PM

Tank A has 10 healthpoints, its gun deals 1 damage and hits tanks with 100% accuracy.

Tank B has 10 healthpoints, its gun deals 1 damage and hits tanks with 100% accuracy.

Multiple users claim these tanks perform the same.

You claim they perform differently.

You get stats quoted at you to prove the probabilities are the same.

Your response is:
The point is that the game and stats are too complicated and complex to be interpreted by common people correctly and in game experience is the only way how we can measure unit performance.

No, you can't treat your anecdotal experience as hard fact and discard any evidence that doesn't suit you.

Just accept you're wrong and stop publicly humiliating yourself.
29 Mar 2019, 17:10 PM

Your analogy is not as smart as you think it is.
30 Mar 2019, 00:01 AM

So lets stop promoting our arguments by made up stats and rather focus on real in game data and experience :)

:luvCarrot:
30 Mar 2019, 00:03 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Moved to scrap yard
30 Mar 2019, 00:25 AM

Permanently Banned
Lol thx
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W