Login

russian armor

Does anyone use the demo charge?

2 Oct 2013, 08:39 AM

After having watched a number of replays and the excellent VODs on this site, I have yet to see any skilled players use the demo charge.

I could have missed it and would be happy to see any links. Or to have your experiences with it.

My point is that it might actually be usefull in the early game to stop rushing strategies (early vehicles or elite infantry?). But the price (90 ammo) is somewhat prohibitive so it's hard to make it fit in.
2 Oct 2013, 08:52 AM

They were even buffed a few patches back:
Demolition Charge
• Damage from 250 to 312
• Additional building damage from 550 to 488
• Area radius from 6 to 8
• Area distance far from 3 to 5
• Area distance near from 1.5 to 2.5
• Recharge time from 30s to 0s

Those explosion stats are pretty insane. An area radius of 8 is huge. The damage against vehicles may not be much compared to mines (200) but its blast radius is huge, which should badly maim vehicles and annihilate any infantry caught within.
The manual detonation also prevents it from blowing up on the first guy of a squad, leaving the others alive.

However, it really requires choke points etc. and even then three mines probably have a better turnover/stopping power. Against stuff like scout cars and flame halftracks, mines are probably better because they deal enough damage to stop/kill those and because you can cover more area with them.
2 Oct 2013, 09:01 AM

great for squadwiping those 0 kill panzergren squads as they come out of spawn
2 Oct 2013, 10:08 AM
Patrion 14

Some-what related. I think it would be used more (perhaps not alot, but some) if it was available for both factions.
2 Oct 2013, 10:25 AM

Does the demo cause engine damage to tanks?

I think those demos would have been better if their cost was lower in return for a lower damage. But I guess they kept the cost high because they do not want them to be spammed especially since they do not require any research to make.

They were even buffed a few patches back:

Those explosion stats are pretty insane. An area radius of 8 is huge.

In practice how big is that?
2 Oct 2013, 11:57 AM

I've tried them with great success when placed in buildings.

It doesn't always do engine damage but if I wanted engine damage, I'd rather throw an AT grenade or drop some TM 35's or Riegel mines as these give the best chance for an engine damage not to mention that they are cheaper.

I don't know how big an area radius of 8 is but I was pretty disappointed when I used a demo charge and it didn't wipe out a pioneer squad. One of their men was lagging behind.
2 Oct 2013, 12:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Oct 2013, 10:25 AMAbdul
Does the demo cause engine damage to tanks?

I think those demos would have been better if their cost was lower in return for a lower damage. But I guess they kept the cost high because they do not want them to be spammed especially since they do not require any research to make.

Your idea is good.

In COH1 the brit commandoes had cheaper (cost?) IEDs, but I don't remember that leading to a spamming. On the contrary: it was seldom used.
2 Oct 2013, 13:17 PM

I use them all the time. Excellent to place on the ice on snowmaps where you are absolutely sure a tank is going to roll by sooner or later.

Sunk a mint Tiger on Rostov the other night.

You could feel the opponent saving up manpower to build it because his grenadierspam suddenly just stopped and then, out of nowhere, a wild Tiger appeared. Two seconds later that tiger was gone. Best way to spend 90 munitions.
2 Oct 2013, 15:03 PM

Your idea is good.

In COH1 the brit commandoes had cheaper (cost?) IEDs, but I don't remember that leading to a spamming. On the contrary: it was seldom used.

Thanks.

I think you are referring to the demo placed by the commandos, right? The real demo in coh was the American demo , which cost 100mp and 30 fuel to unlock and then the engineers could build it for 50 ammo. That was a blast to use, and it was not spammed because of research.

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Oct 2013, 13:17 PMTivook
I use them all the time. Excellent to place on the ice on snowmaps where you are absolutely sure a tank is going to roll by sooner or later.

That is probably the only case plus bridges where I find using the demo really rewarding.
3 Oct 2013, 10:19 AM

I use demo not very often. Sometimes when I get arround a bunker with a engineer I use it, boem bunker gone. But I think I should use it more but only when I have enough ammo. And mostly I dont. :)
Hux
3 Oct 2013, 11:10 AM
Patrion 14

I LOVE using them. They are quite a big part of my Soviet strats. that and mines.

IMO I would rather use the 90 munitions on demos than on any of the artillery call-ins. Any half decent player will dodge a call-in most of the time anyway.

I always go back to the old strats on GR about anticipating where the enemy is going to come from and placing mines/demos in appropriate places. The added fact of them being unseen is a bonus. There is nothing better than giving up territory surrounding a VP only for you do absolutely destroy a squad of Pgrens as they are huddled, capping a point.

Placing them on Ice is the same. You can take out heavy tanks instantly, and sometimes the radius can drown multiple squads outright.

Taking bunkers out is another mint ability.

There's just something really fulfilling about being able to sneak into enemy territory, place a demo and disrupt your opponent as they start to control the engagement

I would personally like to see a bulletin (possibly the mine one - that also extends to Demo building times)
3 Oct 2013, 13:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Oct 2013, 15:03 PMAbdul

Thanks.

I think you are referring to the demo placed by the commandos, right? The real demo in coh was the American demo , which cost 100mp and 30 fuel to unlock and then the engineers could build it for 50 ammo. That was a blast to use, and it was not spammed because of research.

It wasn't spammed because there weren't many places to put them. Go and try it. You can't demo anything but buildings and enemy emplacements. I even tried building my own tank traps in order to have a structure to blow but it didn't allow placement there either.

Commando demo is diff. Place it anywhere. Same 50 munitions, still very powerful, no research, and like the US demo it provides some vision around it.
3 Oct 2013, 13:36 PM

if i want to down a building 3 molotovs do the job 100% of the time and cost less. funny because demo charges dont down buildings. but molotovs do.
using them on ice, is a 1 time situation wich requires a lot of work (luring). or atention (guessing).
they only seem to be good on open fields. like some big player controled mine. but as its name suggest is not a good demolition charge.
Hux
3 Oct 2013, 14:02 PM
Patrion 14

if i want to down a building 3 molotovs do the job 100% of the time and cost less. funny because demo charges dont down buildings. but molotovs do.
using them on ice, is a 1 time situation wich requires a lot of work (luring). or atention (guessing).
they only seem to be good on open fields. like some big player controled mine. but as its name suggest is not a good demolition charge.

true. but there are certain places even on large pieces of ice that you can pretty much bet that the enemy is going to come across. Pripyat winter for example, the ice just couth of the watchtower in the centre. Great place for a demo.
3 Oct 2013, 15:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Oct 2013, 14:02 PMHux

true. but there are certain places even on large pieces of ice that you can pretty much bet that the enemy is going to come across. Pripyat winter for example, the ice just couth of the watchtower in the center. Great place for a demo.

as i said. 1 map, 1 scenario, lots of attention. mines are more fire and forget, and i bet they can sink a tank in the ice too(can they be built on ice?).
3 Oct 2013, 15:39 PM

Pripyat river bridge had demo charge on it nearly every time during beta - maybe easy to predict, but blowing up early flame HT or Pz IV felt so good...
3 Oct 2013, 21:09 PM

as i said. 1 map, 1 scenario, lots of attention. mines are more fire and forget, and i bet they can sink a tank in the ice too(can they be built on ice?).

Yes. I just did that (but the enemy mortared it off)
3 Oct 2013, 22:59 PM

You know, I wonder if you can place demo and a mine in the same spot if you're floating a bunch of muns and expect a tank. This way, mine detonates the demo, resulting in an amazing explosion.

I can confirm, mines on ice drop tanks into the water. Saw a full health P4 get a bath this way.
4 Oct 2013, 05:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Oct 2013, 22:59 PMTurtle
You know, I wonder if you can place demo and a mine in the same spot if you're floating a bunch of muns and expect a tank.

Such combo could work for sure, but it could be triggered by units it wasn't meant to :/.
With demo charges You can always wait and let pass forces you can fight off, because it will not expect for demos blowing up soon after :).
4 Oct 2013, 09:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Oct 2013, 13:10 PMAvNY

It wasn't spammed because there weren't many places to put them. Go and try it. You can't demo anything but buildings and enemy emplacements. I even tried building my own tank traps in order to have a structure to blow but it didn't allow placement there either.

Commando demo is diff. Place it anywhere. Same 50 munitions, still very powerful, no research, and like the US demo it provides some vision around it.

I don't need to try it, I always used it, and it was brutal against a german base once you sneak in at the right time.

Here is one example where engineers do a demo rush and get out alive commando style!

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS